HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dubinsky

Old
09-18-2009, 08:37 PM
echlfreak

vCash: 500
Dubinsky

Plan F:

What about Brandon Dubinsky with NYR. Also, in a contract battle looking for a mere 1.1M. 1M in Nashville is like 2M in NY when you look at taxes and cost of living.

2007–08 New York Rangers NHL 82 14 26 40 79 10 4 4 8 12
2008–09 New York Rangers NHL 82 13 28 41 112 7 1 3 4 18

Played 2 complete season without missing a game and scores close to 15 goals a year... not bad for cheap?

Just a thought

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 08:42 PM
echlfreak

Great video!!! Sounds like a Nashville Type Guy!!! Character, Character and more Character...decent skill too!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9N4cdBBjUo

Old
09-18-2009, 08:46 PM
OpenWheel

Yeah, I asked about Dubinski in our Kessel thread. Seemed like his asking contract is fair and the Rangers are lowballing him. I suggested a trade or an offer sheet for up to 1.4 for four years. The guy is young. A couple folks said ixnay.

Santorelli played well tonight. On the Legwand line where I thought Dubinski could be a good fit and score 20 if the reports of his playmaking upside were true.

I just wonder if guys we're hoping to chip in goals, such as Santorelli, and/or O'Reilly are rugged enough defensively to fit the Trotz way. And on the third line, will Jones or Hornqvist play well enough to complement Ward and Wilson (or whoever).

We're paying Ward 1.5, Jones 900k and Dubinski is offered 600k and a two-way by the Rangers?

But grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, haha.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 09-18-2009 at 08:52 PM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 08:50 PM
echlfreak

Ward-Wilson-Dubinsky would make a great third line and give us a few players to bump up to the second line if Santo doesn't pan out.

Just saying it would be a cheap alternative to someone like Kessel or Zherdev. And he has a lot more grit in his game than either of the two previously mentioned.

Old
09-18-2009, 08:56 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Isn't Dubinsky a center? Has he ever played wing?

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 08:59 PM
OpenWheel

Yeah, he's a center. I saw him called "versatile" so I figured he could play wing. I don't know how good he is at faceoffs and penalty kills but someone on these board says he does some kills.

I guess our new addition is Santorelli. Who's looking pretty good so far I guess. Only so many spots on the roster.

Old
09-18-2009, 09:03 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Dubinsky isn't a good fit because we have no holes up the middle.

His shorthanded time is pretty limited, usually about a minute per game on average. He logged a lot of second-unit power play time, though.

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 09-18-2009 at 09:39 PM.
worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 09:07 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post
Ward-Wilson-Dubinsky would make a great third line and give us a few players to bump up to the second line if Santo doesn't pan out.

Just saying it would be a cheap alternative to someone like Kessel or Zherdev. And he has a lot more grit in his game than either of the two previously mentioned.
I agree. The guys Poile picked up to help us, Guite and Goc don't seem to be impressing. I heard Goc miss the net and turn it over on the power play, and then Guite tripped and fell down right after. Guite also took a penalty tonight. I think I'd rather have a young guy with grit and a little upside, then an older face off or kill man (Guite) and a guy who has fans but "grit" isn't one of the things they brag about. (Goc)

Old
09-18-2009, 09:09 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Dubinsky isn't a good fit because we have no holes up the middle.
Who has won our third line center spot, and a spare? O'Reilly? Wilson?

And I guess Santorelli won't make the squad, since he's always played center in the past.

Old
09-18-2009, 09:40 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post

And I guess Santorelli won't make the squad, since he's always played center in the past.
Santorelli has officially been moved to wing. Stop that smart alec talk

Old
09-18-2009, 09:42 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Most centers can play wing, easily.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 09:53 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
Santorelli has officially been moved to wing. Stop that smart alec talk
Just blowing off a little steam after seeing a few scoring upgrades switch teams at what seemed good prices and we didn't get any of them. And then we are rumored to be going all-in on a higher price talent and miss...

So now just playing around comparing what we have, are paying them, and what's still out there. And venting.

Old
09-18-2009, 09:58 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Most centers can play wing, easily.
it's not that simple, and not something you ideally want to have to do.

why are we talking about Dubinsky anyway? don't we have enough 3rd liners? pass for me

Old
09-18-2009, 10:11 PM
Predsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
it's not that simple, and not something you ideally want to have to do.

why are we talking about Dubinsky anyway? don't we have enough 3rd liners? pass for me
I agree we need a sure thing top 6 winger ... I know im still alone in this
but Zherdev @3.2....

Predsrule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 10:13 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
What does that even mean? It doesn't seem at all relevant to the rest of your sentence...

O'Reilly and Wilson are battling it out for the third line center spot, and Santorelli looked good on the wing tonight against significantly better competition than what the team was up against last night. Now that Kessel is no longer an option, we have the ability to sit back and let these players attempt to establish themselves. There's no need to go out on an impulse and get somebody just because we lost out on Kessel.

Plus, it's hard to say he would provide much impact. He would have been the #5 scoring forward on this team last year, just as he was in New York. He scored about as many points as Legwand, and with far fewer goals. He has consistently outproduced Upshall, a guy that some folks here wanted to bring back, and brings lots of intangibles, but his overall impact on our offense would likely be negligible, and I doubt he's a guy we're interested in.

Quote:
I know you're just trying to be a smartass, but Santorelli actually played a lot of wing at NMU from my understanding, and has been listed as a wing by just about every source that I've read about him from except the Predators.

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 09-18-2009 at 10:22 PM.
Old
09-18-2009, 10:14 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsrule View Post
I agree we need a sure thing top 6 winger ... I know im still alone in this
but Zherdev @3.2....
Zherdev is playing in Russia now. He officially signed with Atlant about two days ago.

Old
09-18-2009, 10:18 PM
Predsrule

Quote:
Zherdev is playing in Russia now. He officially signed with Atlant about two days ago.
Ah thought it was still still speculation/rumour but yes further research shows he has... well its a case of what you see is what you get
even though id love to get ladd from Chi ..

Predsrule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 12:15 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

why is it not that easy. Moving from center to wing is very easy. Moving from wing to center not so much though.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 12:50 PM
Abyss
GO BRUINS

Send a message via AIM to Abyss Send a message via MSN to Abyss
for what it's worth, Dubinsky played some LW last year and wasn't out of place.

Abyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 12:59 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
What does that even mean? It doesn't seem at all relevant to the rest of your sentence...
What's confusing about needing three good centers, and a spare? Sorry about the poor grammar.

We need at least four centers with skill. I can't see that we're so overloaded, but anytime someone suggests a pickup who has traditionally been at center you chime in that we're full up the middle and so we can't pick up centers. Yes, we have center prospects, but just because they hope those guys make it in the NHL doesn't mean they will. Goc? O'Reilly? Both may make the team or both could be expendable if Poile grabs an upgrade, especially if it's someone who plays wing or center.

If we find a player who'd be an upgrade, then O'Reilly or someone doesn't make the team. But we need four. (Hopefully without counting the specialty stiffs we always seem to have one of.) Santorelli though could switch to center and someone else could plug in on his line if Legwand or the third line center went down during a game.

And it's not about the C or the LW or RW by someone's name. It's the style of their game. Some guys are pure centers. Others play well in the corners, like to drive the net and finish. I thought Dubinski might be one of those guys. But while some of his fans say he has more offensive upside, others who like him say he's not a finisher or we'd already have seen more goals. It's not like he's had a ton of years to show all his stuff though. He's a fairly young guy.

To say that centers, often the best players on the lines, can't switch to wing, is strange. Some probably wouldn't do well, others it would be like a duck to water. Depends on the player. Sure, it's not ideal, especially when a season is about to start.

It was smart for Trotz to let Santorelli know of his plans. Santorelli in the radio interview between periods said the thing he worked on was getting used to the way the puck moves on/off the boards since you are playing it there more often then when at center. He seemed to say otherwise it's been no big deal. He should know.

Anyway, he's probably not an upgrade. But it seemed ok to throw out there. Especially as the word is that NY is trying to convince him to sign a two way deal so they can play around with cap space. I like what few vids of his game I saw. But I'm liking the start to camp Santorelli is having more.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 09-19-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old
09-19-2009, 01:46 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Dubinsky = Upshall

I'd rather take my chances with Santorelli, Jones, or Ward.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 02:20 PM
OpenWheel

Well, Worst is right, we're not going to be getting him. He's probably not an upgrade.

I like our potential. I'm not going to feel bad if O'Reilly, Santorelli, Jones, and even Hornqvist get legitimate chances. It's only when we get an injury that lack of scoring may show up again. Our third line should be better. So if the top two lines are healthy we'll score goals and win games.

Old
09-20-2009, 01:44 AM
OpenWheel

Wow, Dubinski's rumored asking price in his holdout of 1.1 and 1.2 million was way low. He signed with the Rangers for two years at 1.7 mil and then 2.1 mil.

I could swear it's some of the same Ranger fans who were complaining about him asking 1.2 are now saying "a good deal for the Rangers!". Their fans like him, and seem real happy they kept him.

So my feelings that we could get him for just under Ward money and have him be an upgrade, (he seems like a Goc, but tougher and who can score a bit, to me) was all wet, at least on the money part.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 09-20-2009 at 02:11 AM.