HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings Serve Fried Duck - Post Game Thread 9/19 (Video Highlights Added - Post #29)

Old
09-20-2009, 01:49 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Kings Serve Fried Duck - Post Game Thread 9/19 (Video Highlights Added - Post #29)

What a fun game. Wish you were all there!

www.lakingsnews.com

Quote:
Brayden Schenn likes it in Los Angeles.

He wants to stay, and he is going to make it very hard on Kings’ management to deny him. The Kings 2009 1st round draft selection gave the proverbial middle finger to his junior eligibility tonight against the Anaheim Ducks with a two goal performance, earning him first star of the game.

Stopping 19 of 20 shots, hopeful goalie Jonathan Bernier led the Kings to a 4-1 victory in an effort that was as confident as the score suggests. The lone goal against, scored by Saku Koivu, did little to stop the home team from securing their second preseason win in four games.

Beating the Ducks is always a joy and a pleasure, but what made this contest particularly thrilling, aside from the consistently cohesive team play, was that two of the Kings’ goals were scored right they should be, in the blue paint.

Discuss!

What did everyone think of Martinez? I thought he was outstanding.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 01:54 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

The thing I noticed the most was how much they backed each other up on plays and they covered each other on mistakes. They did a great job minimizing Anaheim's chances.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 01:57 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
The thing I noticed the most was how much they backed each other up on plays and they covered each other on mistakes. They did a great job minimizing Anaheim's chances.
Yeah, the system was really working on all cylinders. There was even, gasp, some offensive creativity!

But I really felt that the whole team was just clicking. There were a few mistakes. I felt Williams' was, at times, trying to do too much. Overall though, the team was playing hard, taking the puck to the Ducks, but covering each other up like you said, at all times.

Hickey got caught a couple of times pushing up the ice a little too much, but hustled back every time.

Drewiske also had a typical, quiet, but very strong game. He is so good at getting out of trouble. He is nowhere near Doughty, but they do have that one ability in common. There were a few times when you thought Drewiske was going to get screwed, but he spun away, protected, and made a safe outlet pass.

This was a well coached game.

Old
09-20-2009, 02:00 AM
Quattro

Kings looked great. I didn't particularly notice Martinez. Schenn, Brown, Smyth, Simmonds, Drewiskie stood out for me. It was a strange game for the Ducks, they looked pretty disinterested. I literally did not see Corey Perry until late in the 2nd period. They finally turned it on in the 3rd but the Kings were never in any danger. Bernier didn't get a lot of action but he did make 3-4 beautiful saves. He was sharp.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 02:01 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
Kings looked great. I didn't particularly notice Martinez. Schenn, Brown, Smyth, Simmonds, Drewiskie stood out for me. It was a strange game for the Ducks, they looked pretty disinterested. I literally did not see Corey Perry until late in the 2nd period. The finally turned it on in the 3rd but the Kings were never in any danger. Bernier didn't get a lot of action but he did make 3-4 beautiful saves. He was sharp.
He was looking for a Y chromosome in the dressing room.

Old
09-20-2009, 02:12 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

When Smyth came in for that goal, it was awesome. I know it's just pre-season, but how often are we on the receiving end of that kind of play? Was nice to see it for us.

Old
09-20-2009, 02:15 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

I imagine the Ducks were pretty tired as well. It's always fun beating the Ducks but, as Schenn said, one game at a time. I want to see this team gel and get better every game. The little things, play in the corners, traffic in front of the net, neutral zone pressure, blue line pressure, forecheck, passing from the defensive zone, breakout plays, entering the offensive zone with speed, cycling the puck, etc. are what make momentum and keep momentum in hockey games. Let's see our boys keep getting better at those little things and we will win a lot more games than last season. Before you know it, we're playing in June.

Edit: For those advocating Schenn to stay up, I would be very disappointed if he did. I don't mind him playing a few games this season, perhaps even up to 9, but I want Schenn getting 20+ minutes in critical game situations where he is relied upon to carry the play as a first line center. He has top line center written all over him but not yet, no matter how well he performs.

Last edited by Zad: 09-20-2009 at 02:22 AM.
Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 03:49 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
I imagine the Ducks were pretty tired as well. It's always fun beating the Ducks but, as Schenn said, one game at a time. I want to see this team gel and get better every game. The little things, play in the corners, traffic in front of the net, neutral zone pressure, blue line pressure, forecheck, passing from the defensive zone, breakout plays, entering the offensive zone with speed, cycling the puck, etc. are what make momentum and keep momentum in hockey games. Let's see our boys keep getting better at those little things and we will win a lot more games than last season. Before you know it, we're playing in June.

Edit: For those advocating Schenn to stay up, I would be very disappointed if he did. I don't mind him playing a few games this season, perhaps even up to 9, but I want Schenn getting 20+ minutes in critical game situations where he is relied upon to carry the play as a first line center. He has top line center written all over him but not yet, no matter how well he performs.
Well you are ultimately right that Schenn should be playing critical minutes, leading his junior team to new heights.

I do kind of hope he gets a few game tryout. Just to see if he can keep up his play against a full roster of NHLers. He looks very comfortable, and in every game I've seen him, he's only been better and more adjusted. Kid learns FAST. He also is no midget. I'm really hoping he grows another inch or two and puts on some more muscle mass. If he has another growth spurt in him, we are going to be really lucky.

Forget his two goals, he made a myriad of slick plays, all over the ice, offensively and defensively. His passing and vision is sick. He gave Brown a backhand pass that took my breath away. He looked down and out, about to get stripped in the right wing corner. He was about to get creamed, had dipped and doodled as much as he could but failed to evade the check, and in an extremely hard stick angle, put a pass that went directly behind him, perpendicular to his waist-line, right on Brown, who unfortunately was not ready for it, undoubtedly thinking there was no way Schenn could get him the puck.

Run-on sentences aside, Schenn made plays like that every time he was on the ice.

In a kind of sad, but kind of cool way, depending on how you choose to look at it, the team tonight, comprised of youngins' without any NHL experience Clifford, Schenn, Martinez, Hickey, and Clune, looked about as good as our so-called "NHL" team did at any point last season. Granted the Ducks were tired and their roster was pretty sparse of NHL talent. However, so was the Phoenix roster last Tuesday, and this team look much more composed than that game. I have to say, I think it's good coaching.

Everyone is buying in to the system, and whether you love or hate TM's system, when a coach can get all his players to buy in, the team plays well and permeates confidence throughout the arena.

Also, randomly, just in case no one heard, the PP lines from tonight were:

Smyth-Kopi-Schenn
Williams-Johnson

Simmonds-Handzus-Brown
Hickey-Martinez

And the PK lines (most of the time) were:

Handzus-Simmonds/Williams
Johnson-Scuderi

Kopi-Brown
Drewiske-Greene

Old
09-20-2009, 09:06 AM
Chruceg

Before I even opened the thread I wanted to make the comment about Schenn being sent down regardless of his two goal last night. Seeing as how JDM and Zad covered the majority of points I wanted to make, I will be brief.

Let's keep in mind the situations that Schenn's two goals were scored in. The first on a power play where there is more room maneuver and you have more time in general. As for the second it was on a break away and (from my radio only perspective) it sounded as if Hickey made the great play to a wide open Schenn rather than Schenn being dominate. I think it is absolutely great that he got two goals and it still bodes well for his future but let's be realistic about him.

Chruceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 11:33 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

The Ducks were playing their 4th game in 4 nights. That said, the Kings have to take advantage of opportunities like that, and they did. I also liked how the Kings scored their goals, and Bernier was very good.

- T

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 11:35 AM
DeeMeck

I don't see how you didn't notice Martinez. He has wheels. Played well on the PP. Is not hesitant to move the puck on the rush. Selanne tried twice to get around him and Martinez just shut him down. Drew a cross check when he was knocked into Hiller. Very actice offensively and sound defensively.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 12:29 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:

Well, I'm definitely all for the first 9 games if he continues to play well. After that, I'm not too sure. If Schenn can fill the second center spot then perhaps, it would be nice to have him play the entire season in lieu of Stoll but probably not a wise decision if he were to center the 4th line. I'm pretty sure the kings won't keep him up here for more than 9 games (if that) but I'm really glad that Schenn's making it so difficult.

Man, I am so glad we picked this guy!

On a sidenote, for those who've seen the games or have heard anything about Simmonds, has he put on much weight? Improved his skating?

I love guys like Schenn and Simmonds!

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 12:53 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
[/B]

Well, I'm definitely all for the first 9 games if he continues to play well. After that, I'm not too sure. If Schenn can fill the second center spot then perhaps, it would be nice to have him play the entire season in lieu of Stoll but probably not a wise decision if he were to center the 4th line. I'm pretty sure the kings won't keep him up here for more than 9 games (if that) but I'm really glad that Schenn's making it so difficult.

Man, I am so glad we picked this guy!

On a sidenote, for those who've seen the games or have heard anything about Simmonds, has he put on much weight? Improved his skating?

I love guys like Schenn and Simmonds!
He looks like what you'd expect: a natural progression from the way he played to close out last season which, of course, was nails. He doesn't look terribly larger but he has put on enough weight to earn the nickname "Face Crusher" because I think he broke Steve McCarthy's face in their fight last night.

I didn't notice McCarthy come back. Looked like a classic orbital bone fracture to me with the way he dropped and stopped fighting but never was "out of it"...more of the "let's stop fighting because I got hurt, not because I am out cold" and the part that got hurt was his face.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 01:59 PM
Johnny Utah

What happened with Westgarth vs. Parros?

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 02:01 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
When Smyth came in for that goal, it was awesome. I know it's just pre-season, but how often are we on the receiving end of that kind of play? Was nice to see it for us.
Smyth's speed is what impressed me most about the goal. I forget which Duck player he went around, but he seemed to do it effortlessly - like he had another gear he could have used if needed (purple-colored glasses, I know).

Bernier played well, but it seemed like he wasn't tested that much. He made the saves that he needed to make, but none really stood out over the others (and that's more than ok!)

One thing I realized as soon as the game started: I will love seeing the Kings play the Ducks from now on without EVER seeing Pronger in a Ducks jersey.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 02:04 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chruceg View Post
Before I even opened the thread I wanted to make the comment about Schenn being sent down regardless of his two goal last night. Seeing as how JDM and Zad covered the majority of points I wanted to make, I will be brief.

Let's keep in mind the situations that Schenn's two goals were scored in. The first on a power play where there is more room maneuver and you have more time in general. As for the second it was on a break away and (from my radio only perspective) it sounded as if Hickey made the great play to a wide open Schenn rather than Schenn being dominate. I think it is absolutely great that he got two goals and it still bodes well for his future but let's be realistic about him.
Great point. Schenn screams hockey sense. He may have been wide open, but he created that opportunity. Seems like he can find the open spots and also finish. This kid seems like the complete package I don't think when he gets sent back to juniors (after his 9 games)it will phase him at all. Shoot and to think I wanted to draft Cowen at the 7th spot after we would of traded 5 to Toronto. Ugg what was I thinking.

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 02:04 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
What happened with Westgarth vs. Parros?
Westgarth dropped one guy, then went for another but high-sticked him cause the guy was ducking down.

Parros didn't like that too much.

Anyone else see that hilarious play where the puck was in the corner but nobody wanted to touch it?

Old
09-20-2009, 02:11 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Anyone else see that hilarious play where the puck was in the corner but nobody wanted to touch it?
Yes. It was because the Kings had knocked it down with a high stick, so the Ducks didn't want to let play continue by touching it first.

Really wuss move. I don't understand why a play like that isn't delay of game. They had ample opportunity to move the puck before any King came near, but didn't, and waited... and waited... and waited... and forced a whistle. That's delay of game far as I'm concerned.

Old
09-20-2009, 02:41 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Yes. It was because the Kings had knocked it down with a high stick, so the Ducks didn't want to let play continue by touching it first.

Really wuss move. I don't understand why a play like that isn't delay of game. They had ample opportunity to move the puck before any King came near, but didn't, and waited... and waited... and waited... and forced a whistle. That's delay of game far as I'm concerned.
Wuss...wuss...haven't used that word since high school.

Old
09-20-2009, 02:46 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Wuss...wuss...haven't used that word since high school.
Why? Such a great word.

What have you used in its stead? Pansy, pu**y, nancy, whimp, testosterone deficient, lacking in gnarlitude?

Old
09-20-2009, 02:52 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Why? Such a great word.

What have you used in its stead? Pansy, pu**y, nancy, whimp, testosterone deficient, lacking in gnarlitude?
I have always enjoyed milksop. The recipient usually doesn't know what it means and doesn't realize he has been insulted.

Old
09-20-2009, 03:18 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
I have always enjoyed milksop. The recipient usually doesn't know what it means and doesn't realize he has been insulted.
... wuss.

Old
09-20-2009, 04:25 PM
Johnny Utah

By the way, WHY THE HELL DID NO ONE GO AFTER ARTUKHIN? We had Clune, Clifford, Westgarth, Ivanans and no one touched him for the Doughty hit last year? Come on boys.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 04:34 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
... wuss.
Weak.

Old
09-20-2009, 04:38 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Weak.
I made myself laugh.

If your insultee's don't need to be on board with your insults, you don't need to be on board with my jokes, do you?