HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Sprained ankle

Old
09-20-2009, 08:36 PM
HerrAlex

vCash: 500
Sprained ankle

Sprained it a little over 2 weeks ago. should i playy on it??/ Should i tape it and how

HerrAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 09:11 PM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
My experience with sprained ankles is whenever it feels good, give it another week.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 09:13 PM
HerrAlex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperstarTreatment View Post
My experience with sprained ankles is whenever it feels good, give it another week.
**** thats what some people have been saying.

i think im going to do warmups and if it is too painful i will just quit. I really just don't want to re injure it, i don't mind the pain.

Is it a high probability i will re injure it

Old
09-20-2009, 09:26 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Do hot cold treatments on it. Ice it, then stick it in a jacuzzi or warm water. Repeat.

The Tikkanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 09:27 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Do hot cold treatments on it. Ice it, then stick it in a jacuzzi or warm water. Repeat.
And also, ice it right before and right after you play. That has helped me in the past.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 09:51 PM
rinkrat22

if you decide to test it, I would suggest you tape it and tape it tight and correctly. google it you should be able to find instruction on it.

using athletic tape, make a wrap around your lower leg just above the ankle. then a wrap around the front of your foot as close to your toes as possible. these are your "anchor straps" keeping your foot in a neutral position wrap from 1 side of the upper anchor underneath your foot to the other side of the anchor. now take a wrap from the anchor near your toes around the back of your lower leg (near achilles) and wrap back to the toe anchor. now gow back to the top and make another wrap with only slight overlapping. now alternate from a top wrap to a lower wrap creating a basket weave effect. once you have 4-5 wraps in either direction, start a new wrap and wrap the whole of your lower leg to the end of your foot stopping at the toe anchor. this is just to support the straps and wraps. I am pretty sure if you do this correctly with a tight (but not too tight) wrap job you will be able to skate. this tape job should resemble a cast. this is similar to what is done for football players to help prevent ankle injuries. hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pse_H...eature=related
http://www.livestrong.com/video/2570-tape-ankle/

here are a couple of different methods.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 11:12 PM
Jive Time

I injured my ankle last spring and had the same question. I ended up taking two weeks off and read a ton of information on how to treat/rehab the sprain.

Your body will try to repair the damage quickly leaving scar tissue. This is not good as it will leave your ankle prone to re-injury. I recommend reading this following article from start to finish:

Ankle Sprain, Ankle Injuries and Sprained Ankle Treatment
http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com...juries-pt1.php

For strength training, I mostly used one of those bosu balls. It looks like one of those big inflatable balls people sit on but cut in half. You stand on it and rotate your ankle and it got mine back strong fast.

As far as playing, I tried to tape up with the straps but I'm not very good at and it took a long time to do. I also found it to be really uncomfortable in the skate. I admit this probably has more to do with my tape job but I found a better solution was one of those canvas type boots with the laces.

This made my ankle instantly stable and did not take up much room in my skate. I tried every brace they had before I picked this one. It was not the most expensive but it worked the best. Good luck!

Jive Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 01:00 AM
HerrAlex

well i played tonight and scored two goals woo hoo. but now i regret it

Old
09-21-2009, 02:17 AM
Ragss

I sprained mine blocking a shot. I didn't wrap it or see a doctor, just limped around for a few weeks. I went out and played some shinny before it was fully healed because it felt good that day, but this caused it to regress a good week or two. Gotta be patient.

Ragss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 03:53 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHATEbeauch23 View Post
well i played tonight and scored two goals woo hoo. but now i regret it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragss View Post
I sprained mine blocking a shot. I didn't wrap it or see a doctor, just limped around for a few weeks. I went out and played some shinny before it was fully healed because it felt good that day, but this caused it to regress a good week or two. Gotta be patient.
This is a very easily recurring injury. You really need to take time off and rehab before coming back. Believe me when I say resting it now is a worthwhile idea. I didn't and ended up taking a month off as a result, then doing 4-5 weeks of rehab/pt.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 06:39 AM
JustinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHATEbeauch23 View Post
Sprained it a little over 2 weeks ago. should i playy on it??/ Should i tape it and how
LOL you think thats bad? I broke mine in two places FML.

JustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 08:20 AM
frito

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
This is a very easily recurring injury. You really need to take time off and rehab before coming back. Believe me when I say resting it now is a worthwhile idea. I didn't and ended up taking a month off as a result, then doing 4-5 weeks of rehab/pt.
To this posters point, go to a Doctor and get a referral for PT. They will teach you the proper way to rehab AND strengthen your ancle.

Depending on your palet for spending money, GRAF actually has a line of skates designed specifically for somebody coming back from ancle sprains, I think it's the 707. You have to really like spending money though as it costs about $450. if you're susceptible to ankle injuries you may want to consider it. If it was jsut a flukey injury I wouldn't - unless you're independently wealthy.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 09:11 AM
HerrAlex

I actually am doing physical therapy right now. It doesn't hurt to bad so i figure i just rehab for one more week and i should be fine. I have alot of reading to catch up on anyways thanks for all the help guys