HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Puck Daddy's Rangers Preview

Old
09-20-2009, 01:35 PM
Declan
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Puck Daddy's Rangers Preview

LINK --- including a quote from yours truly

Declan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 02:55 PM
Levitate

contributing reviews are pretty pessamistic, especially Laurie's, but it's hard to argue against them too

I think the Rangers might surprise if everything comes together. They have pretty decent depth on offense, it's just hard to predict how well everyone is going to play. Defense is obviously a questionmark as well, but if things work out...they could do better than last year

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 03:09 PM
nyrfan519

I don't understand the Puck Daddy previews. Most of the ones I read have teams missing the playoffs. Some teams have to make it just by default!

And Yahoo! isn't very reliable for hockey; there was a link on the NHL homepage to the story about the Dubinsky signing, and while the story was correctly about Dubinsky, the link said Ryan Callahan and the Rangers ended a stalemate, and it had a picture of Callahan. Retarded.

And Ross McKeon's article said Gaborik had 12 goals and 23 points in 17 games last year. He actually had 13 goals (with 10 assists) for 23 points. McKeon also failed to mention anything about Anisimov, Gilroy, or any of the Rangers' other promising prospects.

nyrfan519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 05:01 PM
Scotty Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I think the Rangers might surprise if everything comes together.
The only thing is that that is a massive IF...

Scotty Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 08:54 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
contributing reviews are pretty pessamistic, especially Laurie's, but it's hard to argue against them too
LOL. I didn't actually think I was being all that pessimistic. It's not like a predicted the Rangers would be out of the playoff hunt or anything. Then again, I wrote it after finding out they'd dumped Sauer in Hartford, so maybe my disappointment bled through.

But come on, do you really have that much faith in Cablevision's media training course to believe that Torts isn't going to swear at Brooks at some point? I thought I was being generous by giving him till Thanksgiving.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 09:03 PM
Levitate

Well, Torts has already been swearing to reporters, it's only a small step until he's swearing at them

I guess to me, the thing with this year is that it's hard to tell how well the offense is going to work. I don't think just straight up replacing stats is a great way to look at it, but it's hard to predict how players are going to do.

There's a lot of guys who could score at least 20 goals on this team. Will all of them? Do they have the icetime to do it? Will Gaborik miss a lot of time? Will Dubinsky and Callahan step up their production? Will Prospal have another bounceback year? Will the rookies on D be productive and help improve the PP? And so on...

I think they have the potential to be better offensively, but when you don't have several for sure players who will score 70 something points, then you'll always have some questions about the offense.

Will the defense be worse? Well, I think that could also depend on the offense. Tortorella's idea seems to be to spend as much time on the attack as possible so other teams can't mount their own attack. Of course, teams will get their chances and the Rangers will need to know how to play D...but I guess we'll see how much of it was Renney's "play back and collapse in front of the goalie" and how much of it was Lundqvist saving their bacon.

At any rate, another big thing will be if they improve over the year. Last year and more or less the year before, the Rangers started well enough, but never seemed to come together as a team and actually improve as the year went on. Instead they just struggled and looked more and more disconnected from each other.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 12:43 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I'm sorry but it hurts my brain to read anything that Puck Daddy writes.... It's so disjointed and unorganized.... I like Yahoo's NHL Page but I can't stand Puck Daddy's poor writing style.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote