HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kessel

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-19-2009, 12:48 AM
  #401
sparkle twin
On the Coooole Train
 
sparkle twin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
January 18. Toronto comes to town.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 07:30 AM
  #402
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short
 
Roman Yoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Franklin, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 5,051
vCash: 500
IF this deal included Wilson, then I am glad it did not go through.


Good job trying Poile. I guess I will have to be satisfied with another guy we have never heard of coming in and putting up some big points again...

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 02:42 PM
  #403
TimeZone
Euro talent
 
TimeZone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lost
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
Ridiculous. We had good players, and picks too. They didn't get a Wilson from Toronto.
Kessel didn't want to play in Nashville plain and simple.

TimeZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 02:55 PM
  #404
AUC2MIC
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeZone View Post
Kessel didn't want to play in Nashville plain and simple.
Burke said on AM640 Toronto that Kessel told both him and Ron Wilson that he really wanted to play in Toronto once he becomes a RFA

AUC2MIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 03:26 PM
  #405
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross
 
DontCallPlayersStuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,596
vCash: 500
Per the Tennessean, Poile offered the same package that the Leafs did for Kessel-- 2 1sts and a 2nd, but the Bruins likely took the Leafs trade based on the idea that their first rounders will be higher than the Predators'. Poile went on to say that it might not have mattered, because they would not have paid\did not feel Kessel was worth 5.4 million per year.

He also said that we'll likely go with what we have, though keeping an eye on the waiver wire and an ear to the ground on who might be available via trade from the end of training camp through November 1, which is when he feels things usually heat up.

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

DontCallPlayersStuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 03:33 PM
  #406
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Melrose/Nashville
Country: Italy
Posts: 25,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spank303 View Post
January 18. Toronto comes to town.
maybe Shea will end Kessel's year on that night

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 03:38 PM
  #407
Paranoid Android
mug mug mug
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeZone View Post
Kessel didn't want to play in Nashville plain and simple.
That is a false statement. The correct statement would be "Kessel didn't want to play for Nashville for the contract they were offering"

Not sure how that got blown all out of proportion. I guess that's Toronto media for you.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 05:12 PM
  #408
predfan98
Registered User
 
predfan98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conando View Post
maybe Shea will end Kessel's year on that night
*smacking you* don't wish that on anyone.......

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 06:04 PM
  #409
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
We'll at least Poile came out and told us he wasn't willing to pay him the 5.4m a year.

Don't agree with it... We are willing to pay Legwand/Erat $4.5m for about 20 goals a year, but not Kessel $5.4m for 36 goals? Not to mention it's a 5 year deal. $5.4m for 3 years would've been slight overpayment. But for 5 years... could be a good deal for Toronto if Kessel continues to improve.

Maybe Poile feels he made his bed giving out those contracts. But I still think one of them is movable (even with the NTC).


Last edited by dulzhok: 09-19-2009 at 06:10 PM.
dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 06:59 PM
  #410
Paranoid Android
mug mug mug
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,912
vCash: 500
At first, I was fine with Legwand and Erat's NTCs. But I am now seeing why many thought it was a bad idea. I want to see both of them play this year before I judge further, but if they don't improve at all this year, one of them has to go.

However, I also don't agree with asking players to waive their NTCs, with the exception of a trade-deadline deal with a player on the last year of a contract. It just feels ethically wrong to me. But that doesn't mean something couldn't be worked out. It's a situation that you have to take very carefully.

Perhaps after the fire-sale fiasco, players were less inclined to sign here unless they had a NTC in place?

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 10:25 PM
  #411
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Melrose/Nashville
Country: Italy
Posts: 25,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
*smacking you* don't wish that on anyone.......
we know damn well that it'll happen before that when Lucic gets ahold of him

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 02:40 AM
  #412
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion
 
Coach Parker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,693
vCash: 500
I still feel ripped off. I was sold on Blum.

Cheers

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 08:52 AM
  #413
OpenWheel
Registered User
 
OpenWheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Keweenaw Peninsula
Country: United States
Posts: 1,990
vCash: 500
Is this Glennon comment accurate?

I'm confused about RFA's who haven't signed a qualifying offer, and trades... From the Tennessean:

#########
Poile said the Predators would not have paid Kessel the money he was apparently looking for – and received – from Toronto after the deal was made. Kessel signed a five-year, $27 million contract, one that will count $5.4 million against the salary cap each season.

“We would never have considered that (salary),’’ Poile said. “He would have been a restricted free agent and we would have been in the same situation as … Boston was.’’

In other words, the Predators would have been immediately vulnerable to an offer sheet from Toronto, and Nashville wouldn’t have been able to match the money the Leafs would have thrown at him.


“The likely scenario is we were destined not to get the player, and Toronto, by virtue of what they offered and what they paid, they were destined to get the player,’’ Poile said.

#########

Huh? Isn't there a way to sign and trade so that you have the contract in place? If Boston AND Kessel had agreed to the trade, and Kessel signs, then how could anybody poach him from Nashville on an offer sheet? He'd already be signed.

Unless there's no way to sign and trade. But I know when the trade was announced to Toronto, they also announced the contract terms.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 09:14 AM
  #414
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 23,537
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
I'm confused about RFA's who haven't signed a qualifying offer, and trades... From the Tennessean:

#########
Poile said the Predators would not have paid Kessel the money he was apparently looking for – and received – from Toronto after the deal was made. Kessel signed a five-year, $27 million contract, one that will count $5.4 million against the salary cap each season.

“We would never have considered that (salary),’’ Poile said. “He would have been a restricted free agent and we would have been in the same situation as … Boston was.’’

In other words, the Predators would have been immediately vulnerable to an offer sheet from Toronto, and Nashville wouldn’t have been able to match the money the Leafs would have thrown at him.


“The likely scenario is we were destined not to get the player, and Toronto, by virtue of what they offered and what they paid, they were destined to get the player,’’ Poile said.

#########

Huh? Isn't there a way to sign and trade so that you have the contract in place? If Boston AND Kessel had agreed to the trade, and Kessel signs, then how could anybody poach him from Nashville on an offer sheet? He'd already be signed.

Unless there's no way to sign and trade. But I know when the trade was announced to Toronto, they also announced the contract terms.
My interpretation of that is that a sign and trade wasn't going to happen because Kessel was asking for too much, so the "sign" part was lacking. The rest is folks pointing out that Poile wasn't going to just do a trade without already having a contract and try to talk Kessel down from that figure, because that'd leave Nashville vulnerable.

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards_____________________________
Joining The Battle as We Fight, We March With Us Carrying The Hardcore Hockey Flag All Out All Season 'cause you Gotta See It Ignite The Night Live at Jackets Time
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 09:23 AM
  #415
Preds Partisan
Nothing
 
Preds Partisan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 733
vCash: 500
What I took from it was the trade was acceptable to both Boston and Nashville, but that of course it would be contingent from Nashville's standpoint to have a contract in place with Kessel. Poile is saying that since the contract dollars and/or length was more than what he was willing to pay, all the trade would have done is transfer the rights with no possibility that the Preds would sign Kessel. Thus they would have just switched places with where Boston was before the trade. I think Poile is also confirming how determined Toronto was in getting Kessel, whereas Poile is driven (obviously) by financial constraints.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 09:26 AM
  #416
OpenWheel
Registered User
 
OpenWheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Keweenaw Peninsula
Country: United States
Posts: 1,990
vCash: 500
Well, if that' what they meant, while impying something else, doh. No GM in the league was going to trade for him without a contract in place.

If Poile meant trading for his rights, and Glennon somehow meant that. It would have been sort of accurate for Poile to say that, and for Glennon to say that.

To imply that somehow we pull a sign and trade, or at least agreed with the player on what he would sign, like Toronto did, and just as we would have, and yet are still vulnerable to an offer sheet. Is disingenuous.

I thought I'd ask here, because it sounds like Glennon is trying to assist in making Poile look smart. I'm glad we didn't make the trade at that price myself. But I don't need to make up stuff to assist.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 09:42 AM
  #417
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 23,537
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
Well, if that' what they meant, while impying something else, doh. No GM in the league was going to trade for him without a contract in place.

If Poile meant trading for his rights, and Glennon somehow meant that. It would have been sort of accurate for Poile to say that, and for Glennon to say that.

To imply that somehow we pull a sign and trade, or at least agreed with the player on what he would sign, like Toronto did, and just as we would have, and yet are still vulnerable to an offer sheet. Is disingenuous.

I thought I'd ask here, because it sounds like Glennon is trying to assist in making Poile look smart. I'm glad we didn't make the trade at that price myself. But I don't need to make up stuff to assist.
No, I think he's just pointing out the obvious, since some folks might think a trade without signing initially might have somehow been a good idea "because we'd have exclusive rights and we could have talked him down".

I'd have been happy with such a move, but I cheer for the opposition.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 11:57 AM
  #418
Paranoid Android
mug mug mug
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,912
vCash: 500
Yeah, Glennon was just stating the obvious here, but he didn't make anything up. Correct, most likely, no GM would consider the trade unless a contract was in place. Glennon probably could have explained it better though.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 12:15 PM
  #419
lstcyr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
Yeah, Glennon was just stating the obvious here, but he didn't make anything up. Correct, most likely, no GM would consider the trade unless a contract was in place. Glennon probably could have explained it better though.
The statement was a direct quote from Poile. Glennon could have explained it better but sometimes you're so close to the situation you don't realize that others might interpret the words differently.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.