HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stretch/injury question

Old
09-21-2009, 11:15 AM
32leaguer

vCash: 500
Stretch/injury question

So, last night I was stretching out my thighs, and I felt a pop while doing the old pull ankle up to butt thigh stretch. Never have really felt anything like that, was sort of a pop/snap up in the hip flexor/upper thigh area. Now, I played a hockey game last night, felt alright, maybe a little twinge this morning, so there really isn't a whole lot of pain or anything like that. However, "pops/snaps" aren't generally good, are they? Does the lack of pain, etc., mean that nothing really bad happened? Was freaked out when it happened, but seems minor today....I should add that the pop wasn't in the bone/joint, but in the muscle/tendon area, where the thigh starts to join up with the pelvis up top. Hopefully nothing, seems ok so far....

Last edited by 32leaguer: 09-21-2009 at 11:34 AM. Reason: clarification
32leaguer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 11:32 AM
IniNew

If there's no pain, there's most likely nothing wrong. Probably just popped a bone. I did this to my knee during a game of roller when I was transitioning from forward to backwards trying to receive a pass; it popped (loud enough for people near me to hear it) I fell in shock/slight pain but 3 minutes later it was like it never happened.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 12:20 PM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
If you're alright then it was probably just the joint popping.

Did you stretch after you warmed up or before?

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 02:23 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Probably just the joint popping- like cracking your knuckles. It releases nitrogen that builds up in the joint, which takes stiffness out of the joint, and contrary to old wive's tales, has no ill effects whatsoever.

cptjeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 04:15 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Probably just the joint popping- like cracking your knuckles. It releases nitrogen that builds up in the joint, which takes stiffness out of the joint, and contrary to old wive's tales, has no ill effects whatsoever.
this^

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 10:27 AM
frito

Be careful stretching before a game. Before a game you actually want to do a dynamic warmup vs. static stretching. Static stretching before physical activity actually weakens the joints and can lead to injury. Save the static stretching for after the game.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote