HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tyler Ennis signed to 3 year entry level contract

Old
09-18-2009, 01:05 PM
sba

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to sba
It's not the size of the boat, it's the motion of the ocean.

sba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 01:31 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Ultimately skill level is the overriding factor that determines who will or will not make it. Can that player transfer their skills to the NHL. I have no doubt that Ennis can.
Why do you have "no doubt" that he can? That's my issue here. There is zero basis behind such an emphatic declaration.
Posted via Mobile Device

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 01:42 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Why do you have "no doubt" that he can? That's my issue here. There is zero basis behind such an emphatic declaration.
Posted via Mobile Device
Can you give any examples of HIGHLY skilled offensive forwards who failed because of their size?

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 01:46 PM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Way too much height analysis for my own personal taste. Some are making it sound like Eddie Gaedel is entering the faceoff circle for crying out loud.

I agree with joshjull. Ennis has every single skill required to make a solid impact at the NHL level. Only thing missing is strength. Kid is 19 years old.

Hobey Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 02:15 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobey Baker View Post
Way too much height analysis for my own personal taste. Some are making it sound like Eddie Gaedel is entering the faceoff circle for crying out loud.

I agree with joshjull. Ennis has every single skill required to make a solid impact at the NHL level. Only thing missing is strength. Kid is 19 years old.
He may very well. But you can't simply TOSS ASIDE his height as a nonissue. You can HOPE that his skills overpower his diminutive stature, but you can't say they will with certainty. By any means.
Posted via Mobile Device

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 02:24 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
He may very well. But you can't simply TOSS ASIDE his height as a nonissue. You can HOPE that his skills overpower his diminutive stature, but you can't say they will with certainty. By any means.
Posted via Mobile Device
And if his skills aren't enough, would another 1 or 2 inches have made a difference?

Doubtful. His game is a skill game.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 02:50 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes, the kid will have to put in extra time in the weight room to make sure he has the necessary strength to survive and thrive at the NHL level. If he has issues gaining the muscle he will need, yes, he would probably struggle to make the jump. If he's as workmanlike and dedicated as he appears so far (and has no physiologicial issues putting on the muscle), he should be fine.

09-18-2009, 02:53 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Yes, the kid will have to put in extra time in the weight room to make sure he has the necessary strength to survive and thrive at the NHL level. If he has issues gaining the muscle he will need, yes, he would probably struggle to make the jump. If he's as workmanlike and dedicated as he appears so far (and has no physiologicial issues putting on the muscle), he should be fine.
isn't that the same case for a guy who is 6'1 and 165 lbs, like say Drew Miller....

Jbuds is insinuating that his height is a major obstacle. I disagree. proper weight is an obstacle, but its an obstacle for atleast 90% of all 19 year old prospects.

Old
09-18-2009, 03:03 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
isn't that the same case for a guy who is 6'1 and 165 lbs, like say Drew Miller....

Jbuds is insinuating that his height is a major obstacle. I disagree. proper weight is an obstacle, but its an obstacle for atleast 90% of all 19 year old prospects.
Being strong enough is an issue for guys regardless of height, yes.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2009, 04:12 PM
subdubs

Send a message via MSN to subdubs
If anyone in this forum thinks pat kane is over 5'9 and 160 lbs. they are lost.

ennis' game revolves around his smarts and his hands, not his physical play, though a player can never have strong enough legs. By the sound of things he held his own last night

subdubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 04:29 PM
coffey7

I rather have Ennis in the up coming years then the recent draft picks that are 6"5" and can't skate shoot or score(not talking about Myers but the other slugs). I don't want Buffalo to overdo the small guys or over do the large I can't skate or score guys. You need a mix like Pittsburgh has. Detroit is not a super large team or a super small team but they do have many players who can play both ends of the ice very well and have grit and scoring. I still can't believe how tough Datsyuk is after seeing him play when Detroit won the cup. He was laying guys out with some nice hits. It's a great bonus for a team to have their best offensive players playing both ends of the ice with grit and determination.

coffey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 04:33 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffey7 View Post
I rather have Ennis in the up coming years then the recent draft picks that are 6"5" and can't skate shoot or score(not talking about Myers but the other slugs). I don't want Buffalo to overdo the small guys or over do the large I can't skate or score guys. You need a mix like Pittsburgh has. Detroit is not a super large team or a super small team but they do have many players who can play both ends of the ice very well and have grit and scoring. I still can't believe how tough Datsyuk is after seeing him play when Detroit won the cup. He was laying guys out with some nice hits. It's a great bonus for a team to have their best offensive players playing both ends of the ice with grit and determination.
Who would these guys be?