HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

National Post: Mortgaging the future, by Brian Burke

Old
09-21-2009, 02:04 PM
robdicks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
That's a huge assumption though. You're projecting the next 5-10 years all on 1 acquisition. It also implies that we would've gotten a player able to lead us to the cup by avoiding this trade, which isn't likely. Saying this team will max out at a few rounds is a safe prediction (few teams win cups, 1/30 each year), but it doesn't account for the other side. It's a bit foolish to pass this judgement and blame it on the acquisition of Kessel, especially when you don't know who we'll draft, who we'll sign, who we'll trade, why we'll do, what will be available and other situations of this nature. Kessel isn't signed to a franchise player's contract, we didn't give-up a franchise player return. So why assume that Kessel, and only Phil Kessel, will be our focal point and the one the Leafs count on going forward?
ok i agree with pretty much everything you just said.

the problem is we still havent been bad for long enough. we went through 4 years of missing the playoffs and only got 1 top-5 draft pick. I know the kessel trade is probably our best situation if we're going for it. but if we continued to trade veterans (kaberle, Toskala, Poni, Stajan, etc.) then we would have finished at the bottom again and got another blue-chip prospect.

its not only the leafs. I believe this is the reason there hasnt been a canadian team winning the cup since 93. too much pressure to win now, and general managers couldnt handle the heat would take if they continued to trade veterans. they make a move and that will get them to the playoffs which gets gate revenue which most owners want. The only team you could argue has been perennial cup favourites have been Ottawa and they were bad for a long time. I expect this to be how it is in Toronto, but at the same time i kinda thought it was going to be different this time. c'est la vie

GO LEAFS GO anyhow haha

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 02:07 PM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Sweet Shadow View Post
And the probability that those 3 players will lead us to the promised land is much better, right?
no im not saying that.... like i stated in the previous post... we still would have to lose for like 3-4 more years for that... trading two 1st round picks signals we want to win now tho

Old
09-21-2009, 02:10 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
ok i agree with pretty much everything you just said.

the problem is we still havent been bad for long enough. we went through 4 years of missing the playoffs and only got 1 top-5 draft pick. I know the kessel trade is probably our best situation if we're going for it. but if we continued to trade veterans (kaberle, Toskala, Poni, Stajan, etc.) then we would have finished at the bottom again and got another blue-chip prospect.

its not only the leafs. I believe this is the reason there hasnt been a canadian team winning the cup since 93. too much pressure to win now, and general managers couldnt handle the heat would take if they continued to trade veterans. they make a move and that will get them to the playoffs which gets gate revenue which most owners want. The only team you could argue has been perennial cup favourites have been Ottawa and they were bad for a long time. I expect this to be how it is in Toronto, but at the same time i kinda thought it was going to be different this time. c'est la vie

GO LEAFS GO anyhow haha
With First rounders being much more difficult to come by and Kaberle having a NTC, I doubt you'd get the returns you want from them or see the drop in the standings. You assume we'd be getting top-end talent and that alone would turn us around. It hasn't done the trick for LA, Florida and many other teams. We have two (Kessel and Schenn) top 5 picks in our possession right now, who were all drafted recently and have had good seasons since their draft. We have a top 7 in our system as well.

Burke has done away with the tanking. We have some young, potential impact players both on our roster and in our system. Now we need to supplement them with talent.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 02:57 PM
It Kills Me

you gotta spend money to make money

It Kills Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 03:14 PM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by It Kills Me View Post
you gotta spend money to make money
what does that mean? haha

Old
09-21-2009, 03:25 PM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Completely moronic article.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 03:41 PM
My Sweet Shadow

Quote:
no im not saying that.... like i stated in the previous post... we still would have to lose for like 3-4 more years for that... trading two 1st round picks signals we want to win now tho
But trading them for a 21 yr old superstar signifies that we're also thinking about the future.

Besides, didn't the signing of Komisarek and Beauchemin already give you a hint...this team has gotten as close to the bottom as is allowed in a market like Toronto, now it's on the way up. Playoffs is a hope for this year, but with that trade, 9th or 10th would even be a good thing.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 03:44 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
kessel is a good player and im excited to see him score, but im never going to mistake him for someone who will lead us to a cup

I really don't understand this. Players don't win the Cup - TEAMS win the Cup. I think that Kessel can be an integral part of a Cup winning team.

He might not be a guy who makes everyone around him significantly better, but on a defense oriented team he scored at a 40 goal pace. And he scored 6 goals in 12 play-off games playing with a torn labrum/rotater cuff. Yeah - he's never going to win the Selke - but did make significant progress and is still only 21 YO.

If the Leafs end making the P/O's, or almost making the P/O's, this deal is a slam dunk win for them IMO. Those mid-round picks have less than a 50/50 chance of having a good NHL career, and probably a 10% of turning into the player that Kessel can be.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 03:57 PM
Lansdown

Poorly argued, stylistically impoverished, cynical hyberbole.

Lansdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 04:06 PM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
I don't understand why some people can't get it through their thick skulls that trading unproven picks for a proven 21 year old star is NOT mortgaging the future. LOL

Nazem Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 04:47 PM
Jakomyte

It seems like the debate going on is really based on how people value Phil Kessel at this point in his career. He is either seen as:

A) A young superstar, perennial, 40+ goal scorer who will play on the 1st line for the next 5 years and become the nucleus of the Leafs' offense.

B) A moody, selfish scorer, coming off of shoulder surgery who is a one-dimensional player that won't lead the Leafs to the cup.

Clearly, if you are in camp A, the trade was worth while and if you are in camp B, it wasn't. Kessel likely falls somewhere in between these two categories. The point is that this trade CANNOT be judged until Kessel has a chance to show what he can bring to the Leafs organization. Anyone who suggests that this is a clear win/lose trade for the Leafs has too concrete an idea of what Kessel will bring to the team.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote