VAThrasher

vCash: 500
Great stuff, as usual. Thanks Holly.

Old
11-15-2004, 06:02 PM
LeftD
Jets/Thrashers fan

Good job, Holly. Particularly enjoy it when you get guys away from the standard stuff -- like the the difference in high schools and talking about Coburn, in Schell's case. Keep it up.

Old
11-15-2004, 08:08 PM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftD
Good job, Holly. Particularly enjoy it when you get guys away from the standard stuff -- like the the difference in high schools and talking about Coburn, in Schell's case. Keep it up.
Glad you finally showed up, LeftD! Interesting you come out on the topic of Schell though, maybe you're a sucker for the goal scorers at heart?

As I've said before here, I just ask whatever I'm curious about. There's no grand design, or even a lot of planning really, except to put the questions in some sort of logical order. Often my curiousity involves the standard questions, because those are important. Sometimes it doesn't. So I ask what I want to know, and if other people find it interesting too, great.

The struggle is between asking everything I want to and trying not to annoy the player or the media relations person, as the case may be. I generally don't ask for question suggestions from readers, because I have more than enough of my own and because I don't like to signal my intentions -- I'm sneaky like that. I'm fortunate that I can take as much space as I want, so you usually get pretty much what was said, but in full sentences. I don't appreciate bull though, so if I feel like someone is feeding me a line, I sometimes drop the question off. Doesn't happen often.

Old
11-15-2004, 11:36 PM
FrenchKheldar

Thanks Holly

Always good to read your interviews. I'm a little disappointed by Schell but I guess I was expecting a little too much from him coming from junior. I hope he'll find his scoring touch and continue to work on his strength/balance (I remember him falling several times at the Glads game I went to, pushed off by bigger players).

Old
11-16-2004, 01:48 AM
LeftD
Jets/Thrashers fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyG
Glad you finally showed up, LeftD!
Actually, I was sort of shocked to see that "Posts:1" notation. I could swear I've been here almost every day for the last couple years.
Quote:
Interesting you come out on the topic of Schell though, maybe you're a sucker for the goal scorers at heart?
Hey, thirty years ago I was a scoring forward. Now I'm an aging, stay-at-home defenseman. It's natural.
Quote:
I just ask whatever I'm curious about... I generally don't ask for question suggestions from readers.
That's a bit selfish, isn't it? Just kidding. Always enjoy what you come up with. (Though, I would have grilled Schell a little more on what he learned about history in a US high school. In fact, all foreign students should probably be debriefed by the State Department before they return home.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchKheldar
...(I remember him falling several times at the Glads game I went to, pushed off by bigger players).
Maybe at this point in his development it's more important how quickly he gets himself up and back into the play.

Old
11-16-2004, 08:27 AM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftD
That's a bit selfish, isn't it? Just kidding. Always enjoy what you come up with.
Yes, it is selfish in fact. I've thought that before too. But if I had to ask someone else's questions, I probably wouldn't do it because it takes a lot of time and the satisfaction of my curiousity is the main reward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchKheldar
I'm a little disappointed by Schell but I guess I was expecting a little too much from him coming from junior. I hope he'll find his scoring touch and continue to work on his strength/balance (I remember him falling several times at the Glads game I went to, pushed off by bigger players).
You probably were expecting too much at first. He's one of the youngest players in the entire league. Most rookies are 22, 23. But he knows what he needs to work on, he just needs to do it. Play with more grit, really. He'll be fine.

Closed Thread