HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

JFJ Given High Praise.

Old
09-21-2009, 07:21 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

vCash: 500
The only thing that JFJ really did wrong was trade prime assets for two crappy backup goalies.

Goaltenders were his weakness. He just didn't appreciate the importance of Save Percentage. Burke does.

Other than those two absolutely horrific goalie trades, JFJ did alright (although not great) in the drafting and UFA signing departments.

But even though most of his UFA signings were alright, he still ended up only signing the 2nd tier guys, and was unable or unwilling to get the top guys available, which limited him to mediocrity.

zeke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 07:39 PM
Machinae

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
Then what's the issue?
Someone said "we could have also had Brunnstrom" or something like that but then we would not have had Gunnarson

Machinae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
IBLEAF1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
The only thing that JFJ really did wrong was trade prime assets for two crappy backup goalies.

Goaltenders were his weakness. He just didn't appreciate the importance of Save Percentage. Burke does.

Other than those two absolutely horrific goalie trades, JFJ did alright (although not great) in the drafting and UFA signing departments.

But even though most of his UFA signings were alright, he still ended up only signing the 2nd tier guys, and was unable or unwilling to get the top guys available, which limited him to mediocrity.
The McCabe contract showed me he was way off-side. Waiting and waiting some more till BRYAN decided to chose TO said to me he he was desperate. I do give high-fives to Fletch for unloading that NTC.

IBLEAF1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Belfour View Post
Ron Wilson is not the G.M. of this team and shouldn't have a say in who gets brought in. His job is to coach the players he is given to the best of his ability. Bringing Mayers in for a 3rd rounder was a mistake. Look at guys like Deveaux and Rosehill. You can draft those guys in later rounds.
I'm going to guess Mayers and Hollweg were brought in at the suggestion of Al Coates and again i'm going to guess that was probably the reason why he was shown the door so quickly.

edit- wait. why did I think al coates was a pro scout. What does a director of player personnel do again?

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 07:43 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post

You know, throw in the Jason Blake contract and i'll agree with that.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 08:02 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBLEAF1967 View Post
The McCabe contract showed me he was way off-side. Waiting and waiting some more till BRYAN decided to chose TO said to me he he was desperate. I do give high-fives to Fletch for unloading that NTC.
He waited before UFA season started. From what I remember, he was done negotiating and McCabe was deciding. That's a common practice, McCabe asked for more time due to his wife (believe she was sick.). So JFJ was "Waiting" for a response while he couldn't go after anyone else. Not sure where your issue is here. Just that McCabe didn't "jump" at the offer immediately?

EazyB97 is online now   Reply With Quote