HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do Leafs already have linemate for Kessel?

Closed Thread

Old
09-21-2009, 07:49 AM
Mr Scarface*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougy View Post
kaberle will get a ton of assists feeding kessel
That's right, that will happen. So it doesn't matter who plays with Kessel at all, meaning forwards.

Jason Blake would get 40 assists or more, if playing with Kessel. Blake has gotten so many assist points during these last seasons.

I think Stajan and Ponikarovsky are others who should play games with Philly Kesla.

Old
09-21-2009, 07:58 AM
Mr Scarface*

Also, Jason Allison is really showing up on the scoreboard, getting assists like he always has. He would be an ideal playmaker for Kessel. Allison is back, and he will score at least 75 points in 82 games next season. No matter where he plays. All that charisma is really flowing out there...

Old
09-21-2009, 10:12 AM
blackmarketmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by facey View Post
i don't think he is suggesting putting kaberle up front. If he is he should lose his job.
I don't know if you read further down or not in the full article:

Quote:
After more than a decade as the smartest puck-moving defenseman on the Leafs, Kaberle might be the perfect compliment at centre-ice for a potent, energetic winger with a deft scoring touch. Though converting the Czech-born veteran from defense to forward at this stage of his career may initially seem absurd, any Leafs fan remotely aware of the club’s history knows there’s a marvelous precedent for such a move. It occurred almost 50 years ago, and it seemed every bit as unusual at the time. But, it went a long way toward helping the Leafs win four Stanley Cup titles in the 1960s.
I have seen alot of sports writers (including Berger) write some terrible stuff, but this certainly ranks near the top. Taking a precedent from 50 years ago? Perhaps we can attribute some of Vesa's troubles this season to playing with a mask that interferred with his vision. Johnny Bower seemed to win a few cups without a mask. Or perhaps he should employ the 2 glove, stick switching technique? Someone should ask Burke what he thinks of this in a press conference. Has Tomas ever taken a faceoff? Maybe I'm going a bit too far, but man, this is garbage. Oh well, I guess we can have some fun with it.

Toskala - Kaberle - Kessel
Komisarek - Poni - Orr
Kulemin - Finger - Berger
Exelby - Mitchell - Beauch

Schenn - Blake
Stajan - Hagman
White - Reimer

Stempniak
Tlusty

Old
09-21-2009, 10:23 AM
BIG BLUE

pretty please, can posters stop posting anything about Berger?

thanks in advance

Old
09-21-2009, 10:24 AM
mooseOAK*

Red Kelly had experience playing forward before then so it wasn't as big a deal as it would be for Kaberle who has never played that position. Besides, he can be and always has been a playmaker exactly where he is.

I don't see why it is such a big deal about who centres Kessel because he isn't a Dany Heatley who needs someone to tee up the puck for him, he makes his own openings with speed and mobility.

Old
09-21-2009, 10:34 AM
Falon

Wouldn't it just make more sense to trade Kaberle for a centerman? Maybe Bergeron, Connolly or Zajac? Or may be even Savard?

Old
09-21-2009, 10:42 AM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvage21 View Post
How has Jason Allison looked? He was a great talent and natural play maker. If he still has anything left in the tank.. he could probably be hold that spot until Kadri is ready. Again, I haven't seen him play this preseason.. but it's just food for thought.
IMO Allison has looked pretty bad so far in the preseason and guys like Kadri, Bozak, and Stalberg have outplayed him.

I once voted and said that i thought Allison would make the team, i am now taking a step back and predicting he won't.

Old
09-21-2009, 10:42 AM
BIG BLUE

I say stand pat at C...

Stajan, Grabo, Bozak, and Kadri next year...maybe a UFA down the road if needed...

Old
09-21-2009, 12:50 PM
LEAFSFAN16

This has got to be one of the five dumbest things I have ever heard in my life. I hope Burke or Wilson rip him a new one if he ever brings it up to them during one of the post game interviews or something.

Old
09-21-2009, 01:00 PM
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarface View Post
Also, Jason Allison is really showing up on the scoreboard, getting assists like he always has. He would be an ideal playmaker for Kessel. Allison is back, and he will score at least 75 points in 82 games next season. No matter where he plays. All that charisma is really flowing out there...

Jason Allison is beyond slow out there on the ice. I can't see him even being able to keep up with Kessel.

I don't think he makes our team.

Old
09-21-2009, 01:48 PM
Mr Scarface*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
Jason Allison is beyond slow out there on the ice. I can't see him even being able to keep up with Kessel.

I don't think he makes our team.
Could be yeah... I'm just still wanting to see that charisma back... I'm all bout these cong vets. They cool and sexy, they just look the part. Young, fresh players are lacking character and charisma. I usually don't like watching them.

OT talk: Claude Lemieux looked 1000 years old, when he sat on the bench with the sharks, last season in the playoffs. I was blown away. That there... was and still is a great memory.

Old
09-21-2009, 02:16 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
hmm... interesting article i guess.. havent heard the "make kaberle a forward" argument in a while. trading one of our d-men for a playmaking centre would probably be the more logical decision of we need one that badly
I am wondering if andy macdonald could be had. If Eric Brewer's slow rehab coincides with a lock of kariya, backes, boyes, perron, berglund, and oshie in the top six...

Id imagine if Brewer isnt back by december and one of van ryn/white is playing well, than you could muster up some sort of deal.

Stalberg-Macdonald-Kessel would have some serious speed to burn.

Old
09-21-2009, 04:50 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

for the love of everything sacred, can we please stop posting Howard's moronic fantasies?

please?

Old
09-21-2009, 05:48 PM
djp55

While's there's no denying that Howard Berger is a moron (I really need to start more speeches like this), this isn't his worst idea ever.

What's the big risk in experimenting with Kaberle at centre ?

Risk 1 : Kaberle is terrible at centre in terms of position and faceoff responsibilities
Response a : Allow him to play C only on PP's
Response b : send him back to play D

Risk 2 : The other C's get pissed off
Response : Burke's all about creating job insecurity. This fits the bill. I don't think Burke's all that sensitive about hurt feelings when it comes to finding solutions to help the team win.

Risk 3 : Kaberle hates the idea of playing C
Response : send him back to D

Risk 4 : Kaberle's surprisingly good at C and we have a hole in our D now
Response : Don't we have a surplus of D ? If Van Ryn stays healthy for 20 games and White has the other 62, we're covered. Guys like Gunnarsson get bumped up a spot..this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Again..Berger's a tool. And his ideas should be treated with the appropriate amount of disdain. But let's assume a respected sportswriter wrote this (none of the T.O ones really come to mind)..I think we'd be more wiling to give this a little chance.

Old
09-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Bad News Bears
MACHADO ABOUT NOTHIN

vCash: 623
I actually quite like the idea of -

Blake-Stajan-Kessel
Poni-Grabo-Kool Lemon
Hagman-Mitchell-Stempniak
Wallin-Primeau-Orr

Komi-Kabby
Schenn-Beauch
White-XLB/Finger
XLB/Finger

This is assuming that no-one new makes it out of camp for the season's beginning. I know Kessel wont start the season with us, so perhaps Stempniak moves to the top line and Hanson gets the call for the 3rd line.

Then, at the deadline, we move a few people and bring Bozak, Stalberg and Gunnerson (if ready) up.

Old
09-21-2009, 11:40 PM
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch Imlach View Post
This. Boston fans may say "You don't have a Savard on your team" and they'd be right. But, they don't have anyone remotely close to Kaberle on defense with his passing skills.

Expect some flashy breakaway goals from Phil, delivered by a Mr. Tomas Kaberle.
Sounds like sour grapes -- do they not see how Kessel scores? They're not all exactly tap-in's from Savard's godly passes. Kessel can beat you one-on-one, he has an accurate cannon of a shot on the fly, he doesn't need alot of time and open ice to hit his mark. He only needs the puck and it doesn't have to be Savard feeding it.

Old
09-21-2009, 11:55 PM
Shaun_W_W

You should put the next paragraph in the quote too, I couldn't tell whether or not he actually wanted to move him to forward. Think about it, those idiots actually made money because I clicked the link and read one sentence.

Old
09-21-2009, 11:56 PM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

Please continue all Kessel talk here: The Kessel Thread

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Closed Thread