HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Dubinsky signs (2 years, $3.7MM [$1.85M Cap Hit])

Old
09-23-2009, 12:10 PM
ThirdEye

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeds2StepOpus View Post
That's an intersting perspective, because the Rangers organization and many NHL players, people and writers ......all have sang huge praises of his playoff performance. The Rangers organization was absolutely impressed with his play.
Actually now that I reflect on it, he did better than merely "Ok". He and Callahan were probably our best forwards. Ranger fans still probably want to see more though

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 12:23 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Actually now that I reflect on it, he did better than merely "Ok". He and Callahan were probably our best forwards. Ranger fans still probably want to see more though
Of course we want to see more and last season was a bit disappointing, both in terms of point production and some of the funks he went through.

But there truely was only one slump/funk he went through, where he was not doing much out on the ice. And that really only lasted 2-3 games.

He continued to slump with his offense, but he started playing very well in every other aspect of the game. He really became a very good Penalty Killer, continued to improve his defensive game and played a tough, physical game ...on most nights.

And even with his offense, while he kind of became a little gun-shy with attacking the net and loose pucks in front of the net/crease. He did make a lot of real nice playmaker plays and passes, that, had he some linemates who could bury the puck more often; he would have had at least 15-20 more assists.

But no doubt he has to take that next step foreward and climb those next two rungs ...up.

I can chalk last season up to a sophmore slump and a generally just a bad team; filled with all kinds of drama and controversy.

But this season, I expect to see Dubi really break out. Not because of the Hold Out. Not because of his salary. But because THAT IS what I expected from him, prior to any of that occuring. Based on what I think is a young, still developing player (with a deep pool of talent).......who has a lot more talent and skills than he's often given credit for.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 01:16 PM
DutchShamrock

I must be missing something. I don't know how we get from that quote that Tortorella is accusing Dubinsky of acting like a superstar. I don't see where it is that Tortorella is telling Dubinsky to start playing like a superstar. I don't see where he equates getting paid $2m a year is 'superstar' money.

Since there isn't a broader quote, I can only guess like most of us are already doing. I'm guessing the reporters want to know what Dubinsky's role will be, which is a good question since Drury, Prospal, Anisimov and Boyle have been playing center during camp and after Dubinsky's contract settlement. It 'looks' like Prospal is the top center, Boyle and Anisimov will be the bottom 2 centers. I doubt they are paying Drury '$1.8m + $5m to check'. So how will it shake out? Torts probably isn't sure yet and he likes to bust balls. Hence the quote.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Which still isn't superstar money.

At any rate, I think Dubinsky will do better under Tortorella if for no other reason than he won't think as much about what to do and will instead just do things. He looked too tentative last year under Renney, like he was always trying to figure out what he should be doing
It's not "superstar" money but at his age, it'd be "young star" money.

But really. This is just semantics...

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 01:54 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
I must be missing something. I don't know how we get from that quote that Tortorella is accusing Dubinsky of acting like a superstar. I don't see where it is that Tortorella is telling Dubinsky to start playing like a superstar. I don't see where he equates getting paid $2m a year is 'superstar' money.
That's because Torts never said that.

Aside from a few creative interpretations by some Rangers fans, no one else interpreted Torts words that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Torts probably isn't sure yet and he likes to bust balls. Hence the quote.
Correct. Torts is a ball buster. And he's definetely got Dubi in his ball busting crosshairs. Which in my opinion is a good thing. Dubi needs to have his balls busted.

Old
09-23-2009, 02:04 PM
chosen

Dubi will go along the familiar path of improving with age. He is within a year of us knowing his ceiling so it will be fun to watch it unfold. The coach is less important than hockey genetics here.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 02:08 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Dubi will go along the familiar path of improving with age. He is within a year of us knowing his ceiling so it will be fun to watch it unfold. The coach is less important than hockey genetics here.
Claiming his ceiling is a year away, is laughable.

As if one swooping generalizational concept encompasses every and all players.

Funny stuff.