HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Rich Hammond moving to LAKings.com

Old
09-23-2009, 02:10 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Rich Hammond moving to LAKings.com

http://www.insidesocal.com/kings/200...-new-home.html

Very exciting news if you ask me. . .

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 02:12 PM
JMFJ 3

A move for the better, I hope this means more coverage but we'll have to wait and see.

JMFJ 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 02:15 PM
Omni Owl

Legit.

Omni Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 02:18 PM
HeadInjury

Very happy for him. I don't buy his claim that it won't impact his coverage at all. He knows who is paying him now. But it will still be better for us to have him on the road. Hopefully he's getting a good raise.

HeadInjury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Wow, crazy awesome. I love it. Rich is so lucky as we are to have him. Great move by the Kings organization.

"I think part of his game is hes over aggressive at times, which I like. Well tame that. Id rather tame a lion than paint stripes on the kitty cat." - Dean Lombardi discussing Brayden McNabb
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
not tellin*

i'll have a wait and see attitude, i can see why the pessimists will be concerned but i'm excited for rich to have the opportunity to cover like this.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 02:23 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

This is good for everyone. Finally having a reporter follow the team on road trips will be great, particularly during those pesky, non-televised Canadian trips.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 02:23 PM
Goallum

At the end of the day - I don't really look to Rich for criticism or any other editorial content, but purely for factual information, so I don't really care about any potential censorship by the Kings (although it would be pretty comical if after his assurances there wouldn't be any, it becomes obvious over time that it's there). If this means better and quicker information, which it should, then good news.

Goallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 02:33 PM
Octavian1999

I have to agree with Goallum. I don't think any of us have relied on Rich Hammond to call out the organization or any individual involved therein. Greater access and coverage is definitely a welcome addition to his already stellar reporting.

Octavian1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 02:39 PM
mbar

It's fantastic news as long as he keeps his objectivity and independence.

I'm certain he will.

However, it will be very difficult to criticize publicly an organization that he draws a salary from.

Regardless, I'm excited about the prospect of more news while the Kings are on the road.

mbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 02:42 PM
Goallum

Also, this probably means that THN will be getting a new Kings reporter as well.

Old
YadaYada

I applaud more information, but when it comes to sensitive stuff, like contract negotiations and trade rumors, I don't see him challenging the company line.

YadaYada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

vCash: 863
Smartest thing the Kings have done in a long time

Julius Caesar Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 02:46 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

As I've stated many times before, he's already been used as a propaganda tool by Kings management so this won't change anything except now there is no denying it.

I echo Goallum's sentiments about going there for factual information. It's awesome for that but it should not be used to shape opinions of players which it has been for Cammalleri, O'Sullivan, Frolov etc....

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 02:49 PM
KingsCast

Send a message via AIM to KingsCast
Quote:
Originally Posted by YadaYada View Post
I applaud more information, but when it comes to sensitive stuff, like contract negotiations and trade rumors, I don't see him challenging the company line.
Did Rich really provide anything sensitive like contract negotiations? He was very careful not to, other than to say that Jack Johnson wasn't asking for $5 million. The only time he's really addressed trade rumors is to shoot them down; and the Justin Williams rumor (which turned out to be true).

I can tell you that the Kings are making a huge effort to provide better content to the fans. This is one of those steps. And nothing that Hammond has ever written they would have a problem with.

If you're looking for someone to challenge the company line, read Helene Elliott. Her editorials are fantastic and she does lay it down pretty well.

KingsCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 02:53 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

I'm happy for him, but IMO his objectivity is going to be severely tested. Lombardi has already admitted to lying to him about a trade.

....and what are the chances that the Kings will allow a comments section?

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 02:57 PM
BehindEnemyLines
2012 S.C. Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
I was thinking the same thing...it'll prob be a censored one

BehindEnemyLines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 03:00 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindEnemyLines View Post
I was thinking the same thing...it'll prob be a censored one
That would be bad.

Hopefully the Kings brass who made this decisions are smart enough to realize that while Rich's reporting is great, the comment section is a big part of the popularity of his site, and it wouldn't be the same without it.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 03:02 PM
Goallum

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsCast View Post
If you're looking for someone to challenge the company line, read Helene Elliott. Her editorials are fantastic and she does lay it down pretty well.
She's awful.

Old
09-23-2009, 03:03 PM
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goallum View Post
She's awful.
I hope your kidding

Old
09-23-2009, 03:03 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
I'm happy for him, but IMO his objectivity is going to be severely tested. Lombardi has already admitted to lying to him about a trade.

He already has been towing the company line. He is the one who gets all of the juicy qoutes and big interviews with DL while a member of the Hockey Hall of Fame who writes for the areas largest paper doesn't.

Kings management has been using the blog as a tool to convey Lombardi's vision. Hammond has never grown impatient or questioned the process: definitely not to the level that Elliot has. He's never bitten the hand that feeds him and was a very good soldier after the Williams incident.

Without the blog, IMO, Lombardi would have been run out of town already...that is if fan unrest here in LA was strong enough to run someone out of town. So much of what is said on the blog is regurgitated on this board as well as the main board, trade board etc...Now that even the pessimist can see a little light at the end of the tunnel, Hammond gets his reward for helping Lombardi and management with their sell job.

I'm not saying it's good or bad, it just is what it is.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 03:04 PM
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

Here is the King's side of the Hammond story

Quote:
Rich Hammond Joins LAKings.com
Wednesday, 09.23.2009 / 3:00 PM / News
Rich Hammond
LOS ANGELES - The Los Angeles Kings Wednesday announced the appointment of long-time Los Angeles Daily News hockey writer Rich Hammond as beat writer/columnist for LAKings.com, the club’s official website. Hammond, who will travel with the Kings full-time during the 2009-10 season, will begin providing exclusive content to LAKings.com on Oct. 1.

"In this changing world as it relates to the landscape and consumption of sports news content, we are making an organizational commitment to give our fans one place to go - LAKings.com - to satisfy their appetite for Kings news and information " said Kings President, Business Operations Luc Robitaille. "We feel this is a landmark step for us as Rich will have full editorial control in his new position. Kings fans deserve the best Kings coverage, and we’re excited that LAKings.com will be the new home for Rich’s insightful, objective and thorough reporting and analysis."

Hammond will cover all Kings games and practices. He will also provide feature stories, commentaries, video stories and more on the Kings and on the NHL.

Hammond leaves the Daily News after having spent the last 10 years with the paper.He initially began covering the Kings in 2000 before taking over full-time coverage in 2005. In October of 2006, Hammond - who also held the title of Deputy Sports Editor at the newspaper - began developing and spearheading the Daily News’ on-line coverage of the Kings. His "Inside the Kings" blog consistently ranked as the paper’s top pro sports team blog.

Said Hammond, who also covered the Kings on the road for the Daily News briefly during the 2005-06 season: "I’m grateful to the Daily News for allowing me to develop my passion for covering hockey, and I’m excited about the opportunity to bring even better, more comprehensive coverage to Kings fans while maintaining the same journalistic standards."

Hammond is a Carson native and USC graduate who has also worked for the Orange County Register and the South Bay Daily Breeze.
http://kings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?i...id=DL|LAK|home

Old
09-23-2009, 03:04 PM
Dave33
Still smiling

I'm surprised people care so much about the comments section. I find them to be the mentally impaired love child of LGK and HF. This board provides far more insightful and well thought out commentary imo (and obviously not in my posts).

I like the move and the fact that he has editorial control is great. I'm looking forward to his extensive coverage.

Dave33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 03:16 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
I hope your kidding
I don't think he is. I don't find Helene Elliott's reporting (she does very little) or commentary particularly insightful. Her writing is more for the casual fan that insists on immediate results and doesn't understand what has been going on for the last 7 or 8 years.

I'm sure that she isn't stupid, but she goes for the easy and cliche criticisms. At least Hammond has spent a good deal of time with Lombardi and has written several articles and blogs about the process and why certain things are being done. I don't think Elliott does much of that at all.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
The comments section is the worst part imo. I can't stand the kids who post on there. And I too do not like Helene Elliot.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote