HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Rich Hammond moving to LAKings.com

Old
09-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Goallum

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
I hope your kidding
Dead serious.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=628781

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=661020

Goallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 03:16 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

For Rich's sake... it was the best thing he could do for his career. He found a receptive audience for his writing and turned it into an employment opportunity.

Newspapers will be going the way of the Dodo bird in no time. This was the best opportunity Rich had to hitch his cart to something he felt he'd be able to continue his career with. It was very smart of Rich and I'm happy for him.

As far as the coverage. Having a beat reporter for road games is huge. If you look at Rich's body of work, it's mainly reporting facts. Very rarely does he provide much in the way of value-add opinion or his own bias to articles. Some people (myself included) knock Rich for that because it's the type of reporting anyone could do, and I think he has more to offer.

Regardless, given that the LA Times and Daily News (outside of the blog) barely pay the Kings the time of day anymore, having an "official" reporter paid by the Kings to cover the team and travel with the team was badly needed. Many other teams have started doing the same thing.

- T

The Los Angeles Kings - 2012 Stanley Cup Champions

Last edited by TonySCV: 09-23-2009 at 03:25 PM.
TonySCV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 03:17 PM
JMFJ 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsCast View Post
If you're looking for someone to challenge the company line, read Helene Elliott. Her editorials are fantastic and she does lay it down pretty well.
Uh, no.

JMFJ 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 03:18 PM
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

vCash: 863
Your entitled to your opinion, but She's in the Hockey Hall of Fame for a reason.

Julius Caesar Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 03:18 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
The comments section is the worst part imo. I can't stand the kids who post on there. And I too do not like Helene Elliot.
I wasn't saying the comments themselves were great, but that it seems that the commenting drives the traffic up a lot and keeps a lot of people hitting "refresh".

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 03:20 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I wasn't saying the comments themselves were great, but that it seems that the commenting drives the traffic up a lot and keeps a lot of people hitting "refresh".
Possibly, but I avoid that section like it's plague ridden.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 03:21 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
I hope your kidding
When she sticks to reporting, she's fine. When it comes to editorial opinions, her opinions sometimes border on sensationalism. Her article a year or so ago that blasted Anschutz was complete garbage.

- T

TonySCV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 03:23 PM
Goallum

Quote:
Your entitled to your opinion, but She's in the Hockey Hall of Fame for a reason.
I understand the argument, and don't find it convincing, personally, as I have expressed in the past. When the HOF-credentialed proverbial goose keeps laying turds, I'm not going to pretend that they are golden eggs.

Goallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 03:26 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
He already has been towing the company line. He is the one who gets all of the juicy qoutes and big interviews with DL while a member of the Hockey Hall of Fame who writes for the areas largest paper doesn't.

Kings management has been using the blog as a tool to convey Lombardi's vision. Hammond has never grown impatient or questioned the process: definitely not to the level that Elliot has. He's never bitten the hand that feeds him and was a very good soldier after the Williams incident.

Without the blog, IMO, Lombardi would have been run out of town already...that is if fan unrest here in LA was strong enough to run someone out of town. So much of what is said on the blog is regurgitated on this board as well as the main board, trade board etc...Now that even the pessimist can see a little light at the end of the tunnel, Hammond gets his reward for helping Lombardi and management with their sell job.

I'm not saying it's good or bad, it just is what it is.
What you call toeing the company line, I call insightful journalism. It's easy to write well it's been "x" years and the team still sucks. While that may be true in the standings any fool can see how much better the organization is as a whole, yet Elliot never seems to get around to discussing this in depth and how it has worked for other franchises.

I couldn't disagree more with the idea that without the blog Lombardi would have been run out of town already. Hockey writers and commentators all over the US and Canada have praised Lombardi's efforts in rebuilding the Kings. Maybe AEG and Leiweke in particular finally decided to keep their hands off and let a pro do the job they hired him to get done.

You're kind of cynical on why Hammond got the job. I think Lombardi and Hammond have developed a relationship, but I also think that it hasn't gone unnoticed that Hammond puts a tremendous amount of time and effort into covering the Kings.

Since the LA Times sucks, and other local papers don't have the money to fund a beat writer for the Kings this was a logical move.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 03:50 PM
Pucknut50

Helene Elliott is terrible. She may be o.k. for the fan who knows nothing about the game but for people who do nope. If she was writing in Canada or even the east coast she would not have a column.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 03:51 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

vCash: 567
I think this is awesome news, its about time we have an actual beat reporter who travels with the team. That means a lot more updates on the road and hopefully better insight into the team.

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 03:58 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

I think Helene Elliot and Rich Hammond should get married.

So is there an opening at www.insidesocal.com/kings now?

Last edited by TonySCV: 09-23-2009 at 04:05 PM. Reason: no politics
Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 04:02 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
What you call toeing the company line, I call insightful journalism. It's easy to write well it's been "x" years and the team still sucks. While that may be true in the standings any fool can see how much better the organization is as a whole, yet Elliot never seems to get around to discussing this in depth and how it has worked for other franchises.

I couldn't disagree more with the idea that without the blog Lombardi would have been run out of town already. Hockey writers and commentators all over the US and Canada have praised Lombardi's efforts in rebuilding the Kings. Maybe AEG and Leiweke in particular finally decided to keep their hands off and let a pro do the job they hired him to get done.

You're kind of cynical on why Hammond got the job. I think Lombardi and Hammond have developed a relationship, but I also think that it hasn't gone unnoticed that Hammond puts a tremendous amount of time and effort into covering the Kings.

Since the LA Times sucks, and other local papers don't have the money to fund a beat writer for the Kings this was a logical move.
A few things:

1) It's insightful journalism since he has given insight into what Lombardi is doing and what it will deliver. Of course, this is straight from Lombardi's mouth. Truly insightful reporting would be to have a sit-down at length with Visnovsky, Cammalleri, O'Sullivan etc... I've never said Rich is a hack and I'm not saying that now, it's just that the "insights" are from one side of the story only.

2) It's really easy to praise another franchise that doesn't throw out huge contracts and is an easy 2-points for your favorite team. Look at what Burke is doing in Toronto...fast-track rebuild. Why? Because he doesn't get the opportunity to suck hard for 3-5 seasons like Lombardi has. It gets applauded because a rebuild of this style doesn't happen very often. I'm pretty sure that if the fans were in the dark regarding managements plan and they were as bad as they have been, most would be screaming for his head. Where has "the plan" been spoken about the most and re-inforced constantly by it's writer: Hammond's blog. Without it, the following does not get repeated ad naseum:

Butt Tattoo's
"DL Type"
Compete Level
Never had good prospect pool
Our guys have to get better before we get anyone else etc...

I know you love the Lombardi and that's fine. The basis for much of the Lombardi love comes from the information gathered from the blog.

3) Again, never called him a hack. Of course it's noticed how much work he puts into the Kings: they contact him sometimes to give interviews! Obviously they know the work he has done and he's been rewarded for it. Call me cynical if Rich knew this position was a possibility at what point. Good for him too since newspapers are on life support.

This isn't a Lombardi is right/wrong conversation. If you honestly look at the blog as some unbiased and non-softball lobbing bastion of journalism then you are letting your pro-Lombardi bias come through. I earned my college degree in journalism with an emphasis on public relations. The blog has been a PR tool for the Kings no doubt and, since this is a blog and not an official part of the newspaper, the level of journalism isn't up to standards in my opinion. They aren't even articles really but just transcribed interviews...real journalism would involve crafting a story around said qoutes. Again, he isn't a hack as he can and does write real journalism but the blog is just a blog my man.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 04:21 PM
Captain Ron

I think Rich needs to become a member here so we can get an inside edge on Kings news. Do not forget that Bob McKenzie posts on the main boards on occasion.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 04:27 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
A few things:

1) It's insightful journalism since he has given insight into what Lombardi is doing and what it will deliver. Of course, this is straight from Lombardi's mouth. Truly insightful reporting would be to have a sit-down at length with Visnovsky, Cammalleri, O'Sullivan etc... I've never said Rich is a hack and I'm not saying that now, it's just that the "insights" are from one side of the story only.

2) It's really easy to praise another franchise that doesn't throw out huge contracts and is an easy 2-points for your favorite team. Look at what Burke is doing in Toronto...fast-track rebuild. Why? Because he doesn't get the opportunity to suck hard for 3-5 seasons like Lombardi has. It gets applauded because a rebuild of this style doesn't happen very often. I'm pretty sure that if the fans were in the dark regarding managements plan and they were as bad as they have been, most would be screaming for his head. Where has "the plan" been spoken about the most and re-inforced constantly by it's writer: Hammond's blog. Without it, the following does not get repeated ad naseum:

Butt Tattoo's
"DL Type"
Compete Level
Never had good prospect pool
Our guys have to get better before we get anyone else etc...

I know you love the Lombardi and that's fine. The basis for much of the Lombardi love comes from the information gathered from the blog.

3) Again, never called him a hack. Of course it's noticed how much work he puts into the Kings: they contact him sometimes to give interviews! Obviously they know the work he has done and he's been rewarded for it. Call me cynical if Rich knew this position was a possibility at what point. Good for him too since newspapers are on life support.

This isn't a Lombardi is right/wrong conversation. If you honestly look at the blog as some unbiased and non-softball lobbing bastion of journalism then you are letting your pro-Lombardi bias come through. I earned my college degree in journalism with an emphasis on public relations. The blog has been a PR tool for the Kings no doubt and, since this is a blog and not an official part of the newspaper, the level of journalism isn't up to standards in my opinion. They aren't even articles really but just transcribed interviews...real journalism would involve crafting a story around said qoutes. Again, he isn't a hack as he can and does write real journalism but the blog is just a blog my man.
Fair enough, but it is far more than Helene Elliot ever did. She could have had just as much access as Hammond, but she didn't choose to cultivate the relationship or to put in the work required to establish one with Lombardi.

Overall, good for Rich, good for the Kings.

Old
09-23-2009, 05:23 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
Fair enough, but it is far more than Helene Elliot ever did. She could have had just as much access as Hammond, but she didn't choose to cultivate the relationship or to put in the work required to establish one with Lombardi.

Overall, good for Rich, good for the Kings.
Oh, I agree it's more than what Helene has done but I feel that she would have to toe the company line if she wanted the same amount of access. She's an "old school" journalist, has the credentials and probably feels like she may have to compromise her journalistic integrity to get as much access as Rich does. I don't think she is a blogger either and it's not like a newspaper is going to allow that much hockey coverage in a print edition.

She could also be so beaten down by covering the Kings for so long that she wants to see a winner before she dies and isn't going to buy into a re-build one bit. Either way, it is what it is.

Maybe Rich is part of DL's rebuild from top to bottom in the organization

Old
09-23-2009, 05:46 PM
Mr Irreverent
Thiago who???

Quote:
I don't think he is. I don't find Helene Elliott's reporting (she does very little) or commentary particularly insightful. Her writing is more for the casual fan that insists on immediate results and doesn't understand what has been going on for the last 7 or 8 years.

I'm sure that she isn't stupid, but she goes for the easy and cliche criticisms. At least Hammond has spent a good deal of time with Lombardi and has written several articles and blogs about the process and why certain things are being done. I don't think Elliott does much of that at all.

Bingo bango!

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 06:19 PM
Defgarden

Great move. Rich's blog was great because he had access, so now he'll have it full time. I'm also not too worried about his objectivism, since the blog was based on the information he presented, direct quotes, news, etc. When he had an opinion, he simply said "this is my opinion", but basically he's only been reporting what he's been told by the organization anyway, so I don't really see that changing.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 06:35 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Why would any of you expect any more objectivity out of this situation than you get out of someone like Heidi Androl or Daryl Evans? Sure, he'll report on the game action, but if you expect anything other than the company line when it comes to reporting such things as what the legendary "upper body injury" really is - you're dreaming. The Kings won't have to ask him to modify a report - he'll self-censor. It's just human nature to protect the organ-eye-zation that pays your salary.

I agree that the comments section of his current blog is about 90% crap, but that left over 10% is what was keeping him at least marginally honest. Without any critical challenge, the chances are great that his reports will degrade to nothing more than cheerleading puff pieces.

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Randart

This is interesting...

Good thread guys... its interesting to read your thoughts one an all on these two distinct reporters. And before I get much further with this I really enjoy Rich's Blog.
The comments section can be crazy as certain posters there are a bit out of control.

Soooo Congratz to Rich on a job well done & earned!

And to H. Elliot (who IMHO thinks of herself as T.H. Elliot) I think she is over rated and more on par with a movie critic or critique' a bit snobbish an looking to create reaction rather than doing insightful and dynamic reporting. (Which could be the by product of being denied access to the Kings due to her reporting style)
ie: my opinion

Rich might be a conformist to the Kings ultimate agenda's but I like his style and as Tony said would love to see him unleash himself a bit more... Time will tell on our Rich boy! I think this is a win win for all. For us as fans an Rich in his professional life and of course for our beloved organization! Go Rich Go! As Jimmy H. once said or sang, " Turn me Loose Baby..."

Last edited by Randart: 09-23-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Randart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 06:44 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

The best way to get an opinion out of Rich is to ask a properly phrased question during one of his open forums.

Most people ask "What are the Kings doing, etc, etc." Which gets the company line answer. But if you specifically ask his opinion on something, he'll give it to you. Those open forums, as well as taking questions to ask Lombardi and Luc and all that, is one of the best parts of Rich's blog for me. I really hope that part of it stays as that is what separates him from other reporters in my opinion, the interaction with the fans combined with the access.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 06:46 PM
Willard
Kings All The Way

-- Entirely due to Rich Hammond, we Kings fans have far more in-depth reporting than we otherwise would have had out of all the rest of LA's media outlets.

-- Even a Rich Hammond who to some degree may be constrained by being paid by the Kings org is leaps and bounds better than the rest of this city's reporting on the Kings.

-- Newspapers are going the way of the dodo; let's just say that none of the major papers will be INCREASING their coverage of the Kings. Rich is bailing at the right time, while there is still something to bail from.

-- New models of journalism will emerge in the coming years (such as independent journalists with their own websites, paid by blogads and contributions from their audiences -- this is already happening). Rich might as well try the route with the Kings organization, more power to him.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 06:55 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
Why would any of you expect any more objectivity out of this situation than you get out of someone like Heidi Androl or Daryl Evans? Sure, he'll report on the game action, but if you expect anything other than the company line when it comes to reporting such things as what the legendary "upper body injury" really is - you're dreaming. The Kings won't have to ask him to modify a report - he'll self-censor. It's just human nature to protect the organ-eye-zation that pays your salary.

I agree that the comments section of his current blog is about 90% crap, but that left over 10% is what was keeping him at least marginally honest. Without any critical challenge, the chances are great that his reports will degrade to nothing more than cheerleading puff pieces.
What guys like Anthony?

Old
09-23-2009, 07:10 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
The best way to get an opinion out of Rich is to ask a properly phrased question during one of his open forums.

Most people ask "What are the Kings doing, etc, etc." Which gets the company line answer. But if you specifically ask his opinion on something, he'll give it to you. Those open forums, as well as taking questions to ask Lombardi and Luc and all that, is one of the best parts of Rich's blog for me. I really hope that part of it stays as that is what separates him from other reporters in my opinion, the interaction with the fans combined with the access.
This is true but his opinions usually fall in line with what Lombardi is saying. I can't blame the guy because he is around management a lot and has been given the sell by Lombardi in person...most have bought it just by reading it on the blog!

Either way, this doesn't really change things from my point of view except there should be more content now which is obviously a good thing. Nothing is more banal than reading Rich's blogs on away games that he' not at. I'm digging the being on the road thing the most.

Oh, and I'm sure most of us are very jealous. I'm happy for him that he is escaping the newspaper industry for something that could see him employed for a very long time. Hell, I didn't even get into the business because it was dying by the time I got my degree.

Old
09-23-2009, 07:11 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
The comments section is the worst part imo. I can't stand the kids who post on there. And I too do not like Helene Elliot.
Bingo.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote