HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Markov not on Fantasy NHL preview: Defense

Old
09-24-2009, 07:37 PM
Fire Brunet*

vCash: 500
i hope markov stays for the season, i feel he will be a good player
i dont want him to go back to hamilton

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 11:49 PM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman08 View Post
so... scott cullen's fantasy stuff = tsn as an organization?
Well it does say TSN's fantasy preview... sooooooooo

Ghetto Sangria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 12:13 AM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
let's cry. or at least sobbingly hold our tears back. a player we like who we know is good.. someone else in the world wrote an article about him and he doesn't think he's as good as we think he is!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! :'(

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 12:20 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
When my fantasy league first started we didn't have PIMs because we thought the same thing ("why reward someone for taking a penalty?") but I played in another league that had it and loved it so we've since adopted it.

It's interesting, it's like another way of looking at picking players instead of going purely by points. You might pass up a 50 point Lady Byng guy to go for the 20 point guy who can get you 100+ PIMs, depending on your situation.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 12:21 AM
Theodoriph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
its stupid...how can you reward someone for taking a penalty?
lol...it doesnt make sence

Because it's hockey...not figure skating. And true hockey fans like it rough and tough, which means we want to reward scrappers and fighters and gritty guys who are real hockey players as opposed to people like Cindy Crosby. To a real hockey fan players like Cam Neely, Wendel Clark, Gordie Howe, Dion Phaneuf, Scott Stevens etc. are truer to the game than pure skill players.

Free to adjust your fantasy league if you won't want gritty players in it, but most hockey fans do...and Markov, skilled though he is, is not gritty. D-Men like Phaneuf are a better option. Quality players who also have an edge to their game and are willing to drop the gloves.

As an aside, PIM = Fighting. Minors are useful, but it's the fighters that do the heavy lifting in that category.

Last edited by Theodoriph: 09-25-2009 at 12:30 AM.
Theodoriph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 12:28 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodoriph View Post
Because it's hockey...not figure skating.
yes...so lets reward a guy for making his team defend with a man less.
Its stupid to award points in a poll for a guy taking penalties...its ridiculous.

oh ok...so im not a...what is it that you called it..."real hockey fan" because I rather see 5 on 5 play then see PP's

hahaha

your hilarious!
I got nothing against rough stuff, it still doesnt make it any more right to reward someone for taking a penalty

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 12:32 AM
Theodoriph

Do you understand logic?

How are you rewarding the player for making his team defend with a man less? Tell me.

You do realize that said player has absolutely nothing to do with your fantasy team right....that the players are uninvolved right?

It's like playing Deux Ex. Sure you could win by playing it like a regular shooter and just blowing everything up. But you could also play it as a stealth game and sneak by everyone and only have to kill one or two people the entire game. Or you could do something in between.

Giving people multiple options to win creates a strategic aspect to the game.

From a certain point of view PPG, PPA, GAA and various other categories are useless as well. It just depends on your view of the game. I mean why have goalies compete for GAA? The stat means nothing...what's important is the goalie's SV%. Or in the converse...who cares about the goalie's sv% if he lets in 3 goals a game. Or...who cares about goalies wins and losses....that doesn't truly reflect how good the goalie is. He might just have a ****** team. So why should Brodeur get more points than Mason because the Devils win more even though their stats are the same? He shouldn't...let's not give points for wins. Let's not give points for PPG or PPA because they're not as difficult to obtain as real goals and assists etc. You expect the team to score in those situations.

Almost every category in fantasy hockey can be written off in some way. You don't like fighting. Mike doesn't like GAA. Ted doesn't like SV%. Tim doesn't like Wins etc.

Last edited by Theodoriph: 09-25-2009 at 12:43 AM.
Old
09-25-2009, 12:35 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 1976
Quote:
Do you understand logic?

How are you rewarding the player for making his team defend with a man less? Tell me.

You do realize that said player has absolutely nothing to do with your fantasy team right....that the players are uninvolved right?
sorry, your king, im scum....

i have 3rd pick in my pool tommorow night, im telling everyone..PIM's IN!!

im picking Dan Carcillo 3rd over all...he's getting 225 minutes plus for sure!!
yeah!!! wooo

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 12:38 AM
mrgerry*

Quote:
im scum....
Atleast you're honest, right?

mrgerry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 01:10 AM
Nedved

Quote:
sorry, your king, im scum....

i have 3rd pick in my pool tommorow night, im telling everyone..PIM's IN!!

im picking Dan Carcillo 3rd over all...he's getting 225 minutes plus for sure!!
yeah!!! wooo
why not wait till the end of the draft before picking him? im sure no one thinks of it as a way to get point.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 08:28 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Weird as it sounds, Markov is not a great defenseman to pick in fantasy hockey.

Pools generally give out positive points for PIMs (something which I've never understood) and put less value on power play assists than other categories. It just happens that Markov is a PP assist wizard who rarely hurts his team by taking penalties, which makes him less attractive in a fantasy pool than lesser D-men who play a different style.

Plus/Minus is also an issue. Historically, the Habs have generally been mediocre to terrible at 5-on-5, so their D-men's +/- suffered. I'm hoping this changes this year, but they do these things by projecting past statistics.

His value to a real hockey team and his value to a fantasy team are two entirely different matters.
Well, my fantasy league pays more for PP production and penalties have negative value (as they should!). I've had Markov on my team for 5 years now and I'm really glad I kept him. He's paying off in a big and was 2nd behind Green in production last year.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 09:08 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamary View Post
And people wonder why habs fan have a bad reputation.
The OP is well within his right to complain when one of if not our best player and D who is maybe even capable of a 70pt season, gets overlooked in an "NHL's top D" article from a media outlet. I think that's pathetic. I hate certain teams, but am I going to all of the sudden if I don't like Washington not bring up Green in an article like this? no. You don't need to respect the team but have a little respect for the player at least. If you don't like the habs fine, but Markov is a world class talent.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 09-25-2009 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary comment.
neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 02:33 PM
Theodoriph

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
The OP is well within his right to complain when one of if not our best player and D who is maybe even capable of a 70pt season, gets overlooked in an "NHL's top D" article from a media outlet. I think that's pathetic. I hate certain teams, but am I going to all of the sudden if I don't like Washington not bring up Green in an article like this? no. You don't need to respect the team but have a little respect for the player at least. If you don't like the habs fine, but Markov is a world class talent.

But he's not complaining about that. He's complaining that Markov wasn't picked as a top FANTASY D.

Old
09-25-2009, 02:50 PM
neofury*

Quote:
But he's not complaining about that. He's complaining that Markov wasn't picked as a top FANTASY D.
Ohhhhhhhhhh

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote