HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

2009/10 - Lines Discussion - (ES/PP/PK) - Part II

Old
09-24-2009, 03:21 PM
46zone
Guttersnipe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Powe is an awesome call-up/energy line player.

That's it.
As much as I like him, that's what he is...a poor man's Upshall.

46zone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 03:54 PM
CoolinWithCosta

The fact that Powe has a 2 way contract most likely makes him the odd man out of the 6 players vying for 5 spots. Unless Pyorala's is 2-way as well...then I might be wrong. Pretty sure Reemer has played himself onto this team opening night.

CoolinWithCosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 03:55 PM
BringBackStevens

Send a message via AIM to BringBackStevens
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolinWithCosta View Post
The fact that Powe has a 2 way contract most likely makes him the odd man out of the 6 players vying for 5 spots. Unless Pyorala's is 2-way as well...then I might be wrong. Pretty sure Reemer has played himself onto this team opening night.
Buzz off Gale! Powe for life.

And, Pyorala can be assigned to the Phantoms

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 03:58 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
^This

Pyorala > Powe

As much as I like Powe.
The unknown around here always is regarded "greater than" the modest but effective proven players. Pyorala has played 2 or 3 games, one of which he only looked OK, and you are already sure that he's better than Powe? Powe had a great season in the NHL for 60 games + an excellent playoffs last season. Pyorala looked better in the last game but he's hardly proven anything

Old
09-24-2009, 03:59 PM
CoolinWithCosta

k i'm wrong.

powe 4 lyfeeeeeeeeee

Old
09-24-2009, 04:05 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zone View Post
As much as I like him, that's what he is...a poor man's Upshall.
and yet everyone used to praise upshall like he was the greatest player on the ice

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 10:54 PM
CoolinWithCosta

Looks like my boy strengthened his chances to be on the roster opening day,zol!

Old
09-24-2009, 11:09 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
The unknown around here always is regarded "greater than" the modest but effective proven players. Pyorala has played 2 or 3 games, one of which he only looked OK, and you are already sure that he's better than Powe? Powe had a great season in the NHL for 60 games + an excellent playoffs last season. Pyorala looked better in the last game but he's hardly proven anything
Darryl Powe is a very good 13th forward. Right now I think a guy like Pyorala is better suited to play in the top six than Powe. Asham is a better choice for the top six or nine as well. Betts is a better 4th line center period. Carcillo is more skilled and is a better forechecker as long as he keeps his wits about him. If any of these guys stink it up or get hurt then Powe is an option (right after Kalinski) depending on who is out.

The problem with Powe is he has absolutely no business in the top 9 because he has Riley Cote hands and he doesn't fit on the 4th line because Carcillo Betts Laperriere are just better.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 04:22 AM
No1Joker

Guys trust me, i've been watching Pyörälä closely last 8years, he is great 2way guy and he plays every game same level, you can trust him and he is ready. You wont regret it if he gets picked. He is the next Jere Lehtinen.

No1Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 05:04 AM
Garbage Goal

Can't believe that some people are arguing that Powe is better then Pyorala. >_<

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 05:54 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Can't believe that some people are arguing that Powe is better then Pyorala. >_<
He very well could turn out to be much better, but I find it hilarious how quickly everyone jumps onto a bandwagon of a player they either never saw (people were penciling him in before the preseason started), or when hes only played 2 games against AHL fodder.

Old
09-25-2009, 07:57 AM
ArmchairGM

I would play JVR in the AHL for around 20 games, just so he can dominate and prove he is ready to play in the NHL. I think scoring at a greater then point per game pace in the AHL will really help him.

Has anyone been disappointed with Laperriere? It seems that Asham is above him in the depth chart.

Unless Laperriere improves his play, I don't see how he can play on anything but the 4th line.

Last edited by ArmchairGM: 09-25-2009 at 08:11 AM.
ArmchairGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 08:24 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
Darryl Powe is a very good 13th forward. Right now I think a guy like Pyorala is better suited to play in the top six than Powe. Asham is a better choice for the top six or nine as well. Betts is a better 4th line center period. Carcillo is more skilled and is a better forechecker as long as he keeps his wits about him. If any of these guys stink it up or get hurt then Powe is an option (right after Kalinski) depending on who is out.

The problem with Powe is he has absolutely no business in the top 9 because he has Riley Cote hands and he doesn't fit on the 4th line because Carcillo Betts Laperriere are just better.
If JVR hadnt impressed in camp, Powe would 100% be on this team. He played well with Giroux-Upshall and with Giroux-Briere when given the chance. Carcillo may have more skill, but he never uses it. Powe as our 13th forward is a luxery this year, because of the incoming of JVR, Betts amd Pyorala.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 08:45 AM
Sklodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
If JVR hadnt impressed in camp, Powe would 100% be on this team. He played well with Giroux-Upshall and with Giroux-Briere when given the chance. Carcillo may have more skill, but he never uses it. Powe as our 13th forward is a luxery this year, because of the incoming of JVR, Betts amd Pyorala.
The only thing I'd change is having Carcillo as the 13th forward instead of Powe. Powe won't take the stupid penalties like Carcillo does and has a little more scoring touch then Carcillo has shown with the Flyers. The team loses some grit and toughness without Carcillo in the lineup but having another two-way forward who won't take more penalties than he draws is a positive to me.

Sklodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 09:11 AM
John Flyers Fan

Gagne - Richards - Pyrola
Hartnell - Carter - Briere
JVR - Giroux - Asham/Powe
Carcillo - Betts - Lappy

Extra - Cote

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 09:54 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
The problem with Powe is he has absolutely no business in the top 9 because he has Riley Cote hands

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 11:28 AM
Wolfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyMac View Post
I fully agree OKT has a role to play here. I just think that his role is as the 7th dman, filling in for injuries and also here and there when they want another big hitter on the blue-line when they think games will be overly physical. I do agree that there are an abundance of 3rd line dmen on the team (Parent, OKT, Jones and Syvret) but only Parent has potential and has shown to be capable of being a 2nd line dmen)

I know Parent hasn't had a stellar preseason, but he has been very good (especially for his age) in the time he has been here. There is no way that OKT will start ahead of Parent unless it is to give Parent the odd night off (and I have no doubt you would have a very hard time finding another poster here who would disagree with that).
I wouldn't either, after watching Parent last night...he looks sharp.

In fact I really liked Parent-Tollefsen on the 3rd, they were solid and didn't do any mistakes.

As it looks now OKT is heading for the 6th spot if Jones is waived, and Syvret 7th. He's probably not full time ready yet, Holmgren said.

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 11:49 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
He very well could turn out to be much better, but I find it hilarious how quickly everyone jumps onto a bandwagon of a player they either never saw (people were penciling him in before the preseason started), or when hes only played 2 games against AHL fodder.
Bingo. Lots of people are shouting their mouths off, and yet have never actually seen pyro play other than pre-season. I'll tell you one thing guys. Nodl looks fantastic in pre-season too. Do you all remember how that one turned out. Match point.

It's pointless going over the same argument all the time. I'm pretty sure people just enjoy doing it.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 11:59 AM
EasyMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Bingo. Lots of people are shouting their mouths off, and yet have never actually seen pyro play other than pre-season. I'll tell you one thing guys. Nodl looks fantastic in pre-season too. Do you all remember how that one turned out. Match point.
There is a huge difference between Nodl and Pyorala though. Pyorala isn't a fresh-faced rookie, he is a 28 year old who played and played well in a good league in Europe and has played for the Finnish national team. That is why people were pencilling him into the lineup, he is a mature player who has proven to play at a high level in a league that is better then the AHL. Between him and all the young players, he was the one most likely to be NHL ready, and he has done nothing in preseason but prove that point.

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 12:18 PM
flyfan795

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sklodo View Post
The only thing I'd change is having Carcillo as the 13th forward instead of Powe. Powe won't take the stupid penalties like Carcillo does and has a little more scoring touch then Carcillo has shown with the Flyers. The team loses some grit and toughness without Carcillo in the lineup but having another two-way forward who won't take more penalties than he draws is a positive to me.
Neither Powe or Carcillo are going to be the 13th forward. That looks to be Cote's spot on the team.

Right now, it looks like the 4th line will be Carcillo - Powe - Laperriere.

Quote:
. . Stevens said he has liked the line of C Darroll Powe between LW Dan Carcillo and RW Ian Laperriere and could see that being an effective fourth line this season.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/art...62/1002/sports
At this point if they do decide to keep both VanRiemsdyk and Pyoala on the team it may be Betts that does not get signed.

flyfan795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 12:27 PM
mypunkrock

There's no way they don't sign Betts. However, now I'm waiting for Betts to get some ludicrous contract if they're going to waive Jones.

Powe or Carcillo is definitely the odd man out here. Although, to be honest, I wouldn't mind having Powe play in the AHL if it means he gets 15+ minutes a night to hone his game and kick a lot of ass.

At the same time, as I've said before, Carcillo will never be the player people think he should be (20-30 points) if he's playing on the fourth line. It just won't happen.

Regards,
Rick

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 12:28 PM
freakydallas13

powe plays on the pk, I fail to see how carcillo should be on the team before powe is.

freakydallas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 01:28 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfan795 View Post
Neither Powe or Carcillo are going to be the 13th forward. That looks to be Cote's spot on the team.

Right now, it looks like the 4th line will be Carcillo - Powe - Laperriere.

At this point if they do decide to keep both VanRiemsdyk and Pyoala on the team it may be Betts that does not get signed.
The thing is, Betts will be signed. More than likely, if that happened, Powe would probably have to go to down and only come up for an injury or if someone is scratched, such as Cote or Carcillo and can be the 13th forward. More than likely, JvR, Pyorala and Betts will be in the starting line up, if you ask me that is.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 02:39 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Now that Jones is waived I'm a lot more confident in my roster. I'm not 100% on the lineup but I am the roster. I think the next few days will finalize the lines but for now a guess:

Gagne Richards Briere
Hartnell Carter Pyorola
JVR Giroux Asham
Carcillo Betts Lappy
Powe
Cote

Pronger Carle
Timmonen Coburn
Parent Syvret
OKT

Emery
Boucher

Powe (who I like a lot) won't be out of the lineup for long I don't think. Someone always gets hurt the first few weeks.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 05:05 AM
Flyerfan808

This team will be a tough one to face:

Gagne-Richards-Pyorala

I think this line will score plenty of goals, and also be able to shut down any top line in the league. This is our "Zetterberg" line.

JVR-Carter-Hartnell

I think that JVR brings some much needed playmaking ability to that line. If it works out chemistry wise I would love to put him here.

Laperriere-Giroux-Briere

The French Connection... it just kinda works out that way though. I would put JVR on this line given his obvious chemistry with Giroux... HOWEVER!!! I think that line would be VERY soft, JVR a big guy, is still only a rookie... he is definately not a fighter. We need someone like Lappy to come up with pucks in the corners, look for garbage goals, drop the gloves if anyone starts cheapshotting our skill guys, and play some defense to cover for Briere's horrible backchecking. I think stevens will experiment with where to put JVR and if he ends up on this line instead I would definately NOT cry.

Carcillo/Powe-Betts-Asham

Possibly one of the best 4th lines in the NHL. I don't think they will match up well against a kunitz-crosby-guerin line, but I think they can shutdown almost any 2nd line in the league.

Pronger-Carle

Is anyone else dying to see the first time Pronger levels Crosby?

Timonen-Coburn

Probably one of the best second D pairings in the league.

Parent-OKT

A very defensive pairing on paper, but I don't know if it will work out? I don't really mind if Syrvet takes this spot. I feel like as long as Parent is on this pairing it will be relatively sound defensively.

Emery

Has really suprised me with his stats sofar. I hope he can keep it up thru the regular season and the playoffs.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote