HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Meh, it's only the pre-season.

Old
09-25-2009, 10:31 AM
Pascal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinvin621 View Post
Hal Gill = useless. Made so many mistakes, can't move his feet at ALL, can't shoot the puck and not aggressive at all, especially when Halak got hit from the back and he was the first to go after Sobotka (I think) but he only grabs on him. Drop them man, make him PAY
So you've posted twice on this page, once to complain we "can't beat an AHL team" and the other to say Hal Gill is useless. You do realize this is the pre-season right? You also realize it means nothing and that the team/players are still taking off the rust and most vets are not playing at 100%?

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 10:37 AM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

kostopoulos is a hockey monsterrrrr

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 10:39 AM
Jigger77

My thoughts on the game in case anyone cares.

Halak looked like a #1 goaltender last night.

This team is not the same without Markov and Gionta.

Gomez looked like a #1 center last night although I would have liked him to score in the shoutout but don't we all. I was particularly impressed on how he killed that penalty almost single-handedly in the dying seconds of the 3rd.

I felt bad for Akost for taking that penalty. I honestly thought he put in a better effort last night but that penalty is what will stick unfortunately. You simply can't do that. In his defense Habs took 2 or 3 bonehead penalties in the offensive zone last night.

Sergei seemed to have that fire lit under his ass again. Good to see.

As a team I think there will be some adjustment needed in terms of understanding Martin's system. The breakout of our own zone in particular looked shaky. Forwards withouth the puck were thinking too hard about where to be when d-men had the puck in deep and it showed.

Plecanek showed some sign of return to form. A little.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 10:44 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
That said, we got ***** in the faceoff circle tonight. Bergeron killed us.
Bergeron killed Gomez and that's it. Gomez was 41% and generally lousy. Pleks was 82% overall and 2-of-3 against Bergeron and murdered pretty much everyone he faced.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 10:47 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Hal Gill = useless. Made so many mistakes, can't move his feet at ALL, can't shoot the puck and not aggressive at all, especially when Halak got hit from the back and he was the first to go after Sobotka (I think) but he only grabs on him. Drop them man, make him PAY
Either your expectations are way too high, or you really haven't been paying attention. His work in front of the net has been good and he's done well on the PK.

If you were expecting a 6'7 monster who was going to aggressively attack our opponents. Or a player who was going to provide offense. You will seriously be disappointed for the rest of the time that Gill wears a Habs jersey.

- Ken Dryden
Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 10:49 AM
ChickenHabsFan

Exactly, Gill is no Chara but he does the little things right.

ChickenHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 10:58 AM
AIRic

Gill was doing his job last night, nothing bad to say about him. I just want to see more of him.

AIRic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 12:11 PM
TroyM

Indeed I liked Gill's game last night. He is such a giant that even though is not aggressive or punishing he still can provide support with his reach. I noticed many plays last night where just his wingspan allowed him to clear a puck or knock it into a safer area even though a Boston player was closing in or faster than him. He doesn't always need as much speed because he can outreach pretty much anyone in the game.

TroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 12:18 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
No, we needed Dagenais.
Actually we needed "Le p'tit Jésus"

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 12:24 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsEatLeafs View Post
Agreed. He's slow and he's not physical, but he's very good on the PK, reliable in front of the net and while he doesn't impose himself physically, big forwards can't dominate him either. In that respect particularly he's a major defensive upgrade on Boullion, Dandy and Breezer. And he's almost as good with his stick, defensively as he is awful with his feet. Offensively he's not a factor at all, but then again neither is Komisarek.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 12:33 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Either your expectations are way too high, or you really haven't been paying attention. His work in front of the net has been good and he's done well on the PK.

If you were expecting a 6'7 monster who was going to aggressively attack our opponents. Or a player who was going to provide offense. You will seriously be disappointed for the rest of the time that Gill wears a Habs jersey.
agree 100%, that's all I expect from Gill and he has delivered so far.

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 12:35 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Carle seems like a poor man's Brisebois to me.. He hasn't done anything to impress in my opinion. Except weak wristers from the point.... Weber is miles ahead of him. I loved how RDS tried to hype him up too last night...
That's my take too. He's actually at his most effective when he rushes the puck IMHO. But even then, he's not so good at it that you really want to make the sacrifice of giving him the green light. Except if you don't, he's not so good at minding things in his own zone either. I don't know where he'd fit. I hope a season with Boucher will help him find his true pro identity.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 01:26 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
I'll be nice.

Did you even watch the game ?

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 02:45 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
So you've posted twice on this page, once to complain we "can't beat an AHL team" and the other to say Hal Gill is useless. You do realize this is the pre-season right? You also realize it means nothing and that the team/players are still taking off the rust and most vets are not playing at 100%?
Weird how this guy wasn't here when we beat an almost-full Pens lineup with an AHL-caliber defense.

Preseason means squat.

All I want is our top guys to be healthy when October 1st is there.

Quote:
I'll be nice.

Did you even watch the game ?
Don't even bother asking. He watched it, just doesn't understand the game enough to judge how a player really does.

My friend was talking just like this guy yesterday on MSN.

"Gill is sllloooow"
"Gill is a sissssyyyy... he doesn't hit!!!1"
"We're going to miss the playoffss!!1"
"Our d-core sucks ballzzz!11one!1!"
"Spacek succckkkkzzzz!!11one1!!!"

To which I answered:

"Well then we'll just finish #15 and draft Taylor Hall..."

Don't even bother arguing. It's a loss of time. Gill broke so many offensive plays in our zone yesterday... he handled things VERY well.

People think he sucks because of his lack of hands. Actually, so far, I'd say he's better than Komisarek to get the puck out of our zone.

Last edited by TankEller*: 09-25-2009 at 02:50 PM.
TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 03:39 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Two things:

We'll suck at shootouts this year without Saku and Kovy

Gill pulled a Brisebois by sending a hate mail to Sbotova.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 03:42 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
http://twitter.com/walsha

Mattieu Carle's agent trying to hype him up:
He showed that he can play in this league.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 03:53 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsEatLeafs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRic View Post
Gill was doing his job last night, nothing bad to say about him. I just want to see more of him.
Yes, exactly. He played good, had a brain cramp, or two I believe, but I'll give him and anyone else the benefit of the doubt at this point.

That,s how Gill played in Pittsburgh. They're pretty much my favourite american team and they're exciting to watch.

Toronto and Boston had Gill playing too many key moments he was never meant to. Of course, he was a first rounder in 93, so Boston had reason to give him that time. Toronto, well they're just not that smart.

Gill was also place in a top pairing role last game. 23 minutes of ice time. Only Spacek with 25 played more. (on the habs) Have Gill in his bottom pairing role with Gorges, not a rookie and who is also defensively sound for the most part and he'll look even better. On top of that, they're our "weakest" pairing (if they end up being the pairing. Markov and Spacek is honestly stupid, but that's imo.) they can handle themselves if they get caught against the other team's best players. Gill did it in Pittsburgh, Gorges did it with us.

Getting nothing but CBC to watch hockey games and living in Ontario where you only get to watch the leafs, I've seen a lot of Gill there and with the Bruins.

So far, most indications are we got the Gill from Pittsburgh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Two things:

Gill pulled a Brisebois by sending a hate mail to Sbotova.
Sobotka ?

Gill got right in there after him. I was disappointed with Moen, but I believe he was further up ice and by the time he got there, there was no way he could get to him. I am worried about him as well, but I'm hoping it's just pre-season.

I hope for this Moen.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 04:13 PM
davelecave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Gomez looked like a #1 center last night although I would have liked him to score in the shoutout but don't we all.
How do you score in a shout-out?

davelecave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 04:17 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Carle seems like a poor man's Brisebois to me.. He hasn't done anything to impress in my opinion. Except weak wristers from the point.... Weber is miles ahead of him. I loved how RDS tried to hype him up too last night...

Was very nice to see OB play so well. Like i've been saying since last season he will be a very solid defenseman in the NHL as long as he keeps being involved physically.
He was effective last night, the kid helped our transition making quick accurate short passes, he has quick feet and looked good 1 on 1..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 04:49 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
He was effective last night, the kid helped our transition making quick accurate short passes, he has quick feet and looked good 1 on 1..
Positionnally, he's at the level of an ECHLer.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 05:31 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Meh.

Andrei Markov: 44.4% (4/9)
Scott Gomez: 40% (4/10)
Brian Gionta: 37.8% (14/37 -- clearly a go-to guy with NJ)
Mike Camalleri: 23.7% (4/17)
Andrei Kostitsyn: 23.1% (3/13)

Saku Koivu: 42.4% (11/26)
Alex Kovalev: 35.7% (10/28)

I'd say we're about even. Expect to see Gionta a lot, he has experience.

Kovalev was never much more than 'okay' on shootouts. He'd occasionally uncork a jaw-dropping move, but otherwise he was far too reliant on that forehand-to-backhand move and he had a low success rate with that.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 05:41 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Gill was playing a not bad game last night considering he was one of our TOP THREE last night, and im glad to see that because FORTUNATELY for us, come oct 1 Hal gill will not be a top 3 for us, he will be the 5/6th, and ill TAKE it

Redux91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 06:18 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I thought Gill has had a very good preseason. He's pretty much as advertised (slow and gets caught flat-footed sometimes with zero offense but a beast in front of the net and on the PK) and I've been pleasantly surprised at how effectively he shuts guys down in 1-on-1 situations.

Mind you I haven't seen all the games so I may have missed some of his lesser moments.
I havent been able to see much either, but I've seen him making tape to tape passes cross ice to the other team, and pucks bouncing over his stick... just alot of mental mistakes as well... but like you said, we're prolly watching different games.

Anyways, he's said himself that he's got alot of cobwebs to get through.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 09:49 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by saints96 View Post
ya its true... god forbid someone should critisize GUILLAUME!
you didn't criticize him, you said you wouldn't even include him on the team, which is ridiculous.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 10:25 PM
ashtraygirl

i've been pretty satisfied with Gill's work so far, but one thing that bothers me is his shot. i know he's not here to bring any offense, but it reminds me of Komisarek's shot - they always seem to get blocked or intercepted.

ashtraygirl is offline   Reply With Quote