HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010/2011 Prospects Thread

View Poll Results: Who will get the next forward call-up?
Jaffray 6 20.00%
Lundmark 17 56.67%
Stuart 0 0%
Other, post who. 7 23.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-27-2009, 01:13 PM
Ronald Pagan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast View Post
Apparently he can.
doesn't seem to be the prevailing sentiment on this board

(which is garbage btw)

I hate to belabour this point but, take a look at our prospect system before Sutter joined and look at it now. Couple that with the fact that this team has had much lower picks during Sutter's tenure then when we absolutely stank and you really have to give him credit. He's done a fantastic job of drafting and stocking the cupboards through signing undrafted and un-signed players (something that goes quite unnoticed on this board but is just as important as drafting is).

Ronald Pagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 01:42 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillardJFredricks View Post
I'm glad others are sold on Backlund because I'm sure not. I watched every game in the Memorial Cup and he was totally invisible. He did absolutely nothing, which is disappointing in such an important tournament. Hopefully that was just a bad week he had, but I don't expect too much out of him after seeing that performance.
Yeah, always a good idea to judge someone over a one week period when they are injured.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 05:11 PM
JorgeRocks!

And how can you think he was bad at the Mem Cup? See that one play where he gave a perfect saucer pass to a breaking teamate while skating full bore?!!! That is crazy...He has so much skill...The rest of the game will come around though...Unless he is going to start on the wing, or we are going to have a more offensive fourth line, I do not see him making it until 2010, unless he absolutely lights it up, and looks like a 50+ point guy

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 06:20 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Was Brent and Darryl present at the camp?
Yes both were watching from the stands. Apparently Brent even got involved when he felt needed.

The two days I was there McGill was running the practises with a power skating coach? I assume. No idea who he was.

Quote:
doesn't seem to be the prevailing sentiment on this board

(which is garbage btw)

I hate to belabour this point but, take a look at our prospect system before Sutter joined and look at it now. Couple that with the fact that this team has had much lower picks during Sutter's tenure then when we absolutely stank and you really have to give him credit. He's done a fantastic job of drafting and stocking the cupboards through signing undrafted and un-signed players (something that goes quite unnoticed on this board but is just as important as drafting is).
Definetly won't get an argument from me. I attend these camps yearly and there is no doubt in my mind that Sutter has done a better job. Just to compare this year and last to 5-7 years ago is just such a big difference. A lot more skilled guys and the amount of talent is so much higher. Probably one of the reasons I defend our drafting so much. It is not prefect by any stretch, but I definetly feel he has done a good job.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 12:48 AM
JorgeRocks!

Was going to post it in the main thread, but thought i may as well put it there as it will most likely get moved....

Anyone else see U.S world junior team trimmed camp roster to 29....with no Mitch Wahl, who played with them last year? He was there, but they released him.....injury our USA hockey going haywire?

Old
08-12-2009, 09:39 AM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeRocks! View Post

Anyone else see U.S world junior team trimmed camp roster to 29....with no Mitch Wahl, who played with them last year? He was there, but they released him.....injury our USA hockey going haywire?
well, the most likely reason is that he is not very good.....

I dont know, Wahl doesnt excite me too much....

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2009, 04:43 PM
HockeyNator

I'm more of a Calgary Puck guy but since I registered here I could provide you prospects updates .

Joni Ortio had win yesterday for Finland and today Tim Erixon scored a goal and added an assist in U20 tournament in Finland. For further tournament info-> http://217.119.36.75/mpublic/index.p...12f58c90b84559

I quote myself from CP.

Erixon's goal was right after Sweden's powerplay had expired and it was very smart play by him. Henrik Eriksson had the puck in the corner and he slowed down the play and every player was freezed expect Erixon who sneaked closer to goal from blueline, Eriksson passed the puck across two Czech players and Erixon scored easily to the empty net. Hope you understood .

Erixon had also very good scoring chance in the next shift. Sweden had quick counter-attack and Erixon jumped into rush (which he did quite often) and he was nearly alone in front of net when he received pass but his shot went straight to goalie's chest. Again he had almost empty net in front of him but you can't score on every chance you get. How often does defence man score in back to back shifts anyway? Yep, very often. It was disappointed ending but thinking how he end up being nearly alone in front of net by leaving backcheckers behind and positioning himself perfectly is very impressive.

Erixon got his assist on his yet another jump on the rush. I believe he was behind the goal line when Klingberg scored.

Czech's first goal came up on 2 on 1 Erixon being that "1". Erixon covered the passing lane but Dolezal shooted and scored. It wasn't Erixon's fault and one might think where his defence partner was. Well, Rundblad was the last man coming back from offence. Rundblad joined offence more often than Erixon but difference between these two is that Erixon never got caught when he did it.

More to come tomorrow after Sweden faces Finland in tournament champion-decisive game. Ortio will propably start for Finland, IMO he was better than Kuusela in his respective game. Czech has terrible team and I'll make final judgements after tomorrow's game when Erixon and Ortio have faced true competition.

HockeyNator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 05:48 PM
HockeyNator

Sweden won the tournament by defeating Finland 5-3. Erixon had no points.

Notes on Erixon from two games I saw.

- First and most important comment on his play is how smart he is. From first shift to the end of game he shows smart positioning, smart passing and the whole way he read the game was top notch. There's players who might look good and make smart moves in single shifts but cause terrible giveaway in the next but Erixon isn't that way. He was very consistent from shift to shift and never seemed to get into big trouble (wasn't flashy either though).

- Sometimes perfect positioning isn't enough if opponent is better skater and just flies by and forces slower skater to take hooking penalty. Erixon is a very good skater and not single time opponent beat him in skating race. Many small and speedy opponent's tried it but Erixon never fell behind. And to add Erixon's good size and long reach he was able to pokecheck the puck away and he often got the loose puck by using his frame as a screen to block opponent from getting the puck again.

- Pokechecking was big part of Erixon's defensive play.

- But physical play was not. We know that Lidström rarely hits or uses physical play as a factor but IMO Erixon could play little more physically, at least hit when he has good chance, now he little bit shied away from boards and rather kept himself close to net just using his stick as weapon to get the puck. Dunno if I go too far here but maybe he was too nice as he wasn't aggressive at all. Positiong and skating are the biggest parts of defensive play and physical presence is small factor compared to those two but once he comes over to North America he needs to learn how to use body contact as part of defensive play. Erixon is granted by big body and after he bulks up a little bit he should be capable of handling big powerforwards in the NHL.

Lack of physical play and aggressiveness is propably his biggest weakness. Someone needs to send him compilation of Regehr's biggest hits!!111

- In previous post I mentioned his will to jump into rush but he didn't do it as much against Finland, he did it few times but didn't get scoring chances. Sweden pretty much dominated against Czech and they almost did anything they wanted but todays game was different. Erixon is defence-first guy and maybe he didn't want to take risk as Finland is good in counter-attacks. Can't blame him for thinking defence first but so does Lidström. Believe it or not that (former) 80 point d-man is defence-first guy.

- But. We are expecting him to put up points too. I have read ppl to expect Erixon to score around 35-40 points in his prime and that's somewhat lot of offence. So, I was little disappointed on his offensive play. It's not his play on powerplay, he did well on powerplay. It's not his jumps into rush to the second wave, he did that and had scoring chances too. But it's his passing. Don't get me wrong, he did pass tape to tape and those passes were hard. But those passes were easy ones and he often passed to Rundblad to his side instead of forwards who were leaning into forward. Again, maybe he was thinking safer option instead of taking risk. But because Erixon is so smart and good passer he's capable of giving breakout passes or at least quicker passes which cause always-dangerous counter-attacks.

That was my another issue with him. Playing safe game without risks although he's able to give more challenging passes which would bring bigger reward.

- From passing to shooting. Nothing to complain here. On powerplay he did more passing but had few hard shots. Just few so I can't judge his shot further. It's positive though that his shots didn't end up to first blocking player. Dion, I'm looking at you.

- Another plus comes from on ice leadership. He talked with his teammates a lot and give them instructions, both before faceoffs and during play.

To sum it up, it's looking very good for Erixon and for the Flames for picking him. I won't comment his potential, two games isn't enough for creating strong enough conclusion for his future. But I can tell you he was at the same level with Rundblad and Ekman-Larsson in this tournament.

Ortio was in the net for Finland but he had poor game and Silfverberg's GWG was totally his mistake. It was failed shot from nearly right after blue line and it slipped through Ortio's five hole. Maybe he didn't expect it to come along the ice as he didn't get quick enough in butterfly. He showed good athleticism and quick glove hand but that time he wasn't quick enough and it cost Finland tournament victory (it was shorthanded goal too). Rebound control is his weakness and maybe blocker hand too, I'm not good at analyzing goalies.

HockeyNator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-06-2009, 07:39 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Awesome thanks for the updates Hockeynator. Erixon sure does sound promising.

Old
09-08-2009, 10:35 PM
JorgeRocks!

But why is he not at rookie camp? He was there in the summer wasn't he? I take it Erixon, Bjorklund, Ortio and Deilert could all not get time off, or r they already disentreched with the organization?

Old
09-10-2009, 09:06 PM
Padlock

Thanks for the update HockeyNator! Any info we can get on him during the season will be appreciated!

Padlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2009, 03:50 PM
flamesfan12

Season has started in the CHL. Nemisz has got off to a solid start with 3 points in his first two games. Wahl had 2 assists in the Chiefs season opener. Bouma had a goal in his first game and Patterson picked up his first point in the 'Dub.

Old
09-21-2009, 10:40 AM
romelson

Send a message via MSN to romelson
Especially fans of Calgary should find interest in tonights season opener Färjestad-Skellefteå, which is broadcasted on an a live stream. You wont find this free stream for other SEL-games later in the season, it's only for this season opening game, so it's an opportunity to see three drafted prospects of Calgary on the ice.

Some players of interest...

FÄRJESTAD
#3 Per Johnsson, 2006 round 7 #209 overall by Calgary Flames
#14 Henrik Björklund, 2009 round 4 #111 overall by Calgary Flames

SKELLEFTEÅ
#5 Adam Larsson - eligible 2011
#44 Tim Erixon, 2009 round 1 #23 overall by Calgary Flames

http://svtplay.se/v/1673271/hockeykv...tad-skelleftea

The game start 7 oclock CET, which is only about 1h20min from now, when I post this.

romelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 12:44 PM
Leperus Leprechuan

Won't be able to watch since I'm at work but a recap would be greatly appreciated.

Leperus Leprechuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 11:55 AM
romelson

Send a message via MSN to romelson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abars View Post
Won't be able to watch since I'm at work but a recap would be greatly appreciated.
Sure. Per Johnsson didnt play. I dont know why.
Henrik Bjorklund had 09:01 TOI. I can unfortuneately not say much about his effort, he scored no points. Im a Skelleftea-fan and had all my focus on the Skelleftea-players.

Tim Erixon had 15:07 TOI. He played a solid game, played safe in own zone, delivered two nice cut-through passes and I never saw him make any mistakes, which I cant say about his mate David Rundblad, who made some horrendous mistakes. Judging from this game, you picked the right d-man of those two. Erixon looked much stronger than I've ever seen him before, he's built some muscles I assume.

It also struck me that Erixon has cut his hair, making him look like a spitting image of Michael Scofield...of Prison Break...

romelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 02:34 PM
abracanada

Thanks for that Romelson. The info is much appreciated. Didn't catch it in the main body of the thread. Would have been good to watch. Thanks again.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 12:06 PM
redbull
respect, earned.

how has anton stralman played in pre-season? any impressions from camp?

I liked him a lot on the Leafs, was not in favour of moving him - curious whether he'll make the Flames this year. I've seen his name included in the top six in other threads so I assume he's played well.

He's got speed and smarts to play, if he can handle the play without the puck. Tough to make that team though, especially with Calgary's stellar top 4.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 12:13 PM
StreakingRed
Win For Gio

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
how has anton stralman played in pre-season? any impressions from camp?

Stralman has looked awesome in pre-season. I'd be pretty surprised if he didn't make this team.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 02:15 AM
StreakingRed
Win For Gio

Some updates in tonight's games in the WHL:

Gaelan Patterson had a goal in Saskatoon's 4-2 loss to Edmonton.

Lance Bouma had an assist in Vancouver's 2-1 win over Prince George.

Ryan Howse had a 3 point night (2g, 1a, +3) in Chilliwack's 4-1 win over Seattle.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 02:37 AM
flamesfan12

To add to Streaking Red's post Greg Nemisz also had a goal tonigt in Windsor's win. Was a +3 as well.

Old
10-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Jim Morrison

HOLY ****! Tim Erixon just scored a Brian Leetch/Bobby Orr-esque goal where he started with the puck from his own zone and ended up scoring after a solo rush. Will post highlight when it comes.

Jim Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Kingsgoon

Tim Erixon - awesome goal tonight

Tim Erixon scored an awesome goal tonight, going coast to coast on his own against frölunda in the Swedish Elite League. He got the puck behind his own net with a player chasing him, then got past 2 other frölunda players before putting it top shelf behind former NHL goaltender Johan Holmqvist.

Hopefully someone will youtube it soon, you will be pleased.

Kingsgoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 02:45 PM
Kingsgoon

Highlights of the game is up - Tim Erixon goal!
http://tv.hockeyligan.se/main.aspx?contentid=4673316865

Kingsgoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 02:56 PM
Jim Morrison

Erixon: http://tv.hockeyligan.se/main.aspx?contentid=4673316865 the second goal in the clip. Starts at around 01:00.

Jim Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 04:17 PM
Padlock

What a beauty, that kid can skate! Can anyone translate what he said? I'm sure it's nothing groundbreaking but I'd like to know anyway haha

Padlock is offline   Reply With Quote