HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Rich Hammond moving to LAKings.com

Old
09-23-2009, 08:49 PM
Shellz

vCash: 500
Good move on the Kings part.

As for Helene, no thank you. I do not count on her for anything Kings related.
I don't like her attitude plain and simple

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 08:58 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
-- Entirely due to Rich Hammond, we Kings fans have far more in-depth reporting than we otherwise would have had out of all the rest of LA's media outlets.

-- Even a Rich Hammond who to some degree may be constrained by being paid by the Kings org is leaps and bounds better than the rest of this city's reporting on the Kings.

-- Newspapers are going the way of the dodo; let's just say that none of the major papers will be INCREASING their coverage of the Kings. Rich is bailing at the right time, while there is still something to bail from.

-- New models of journalism will emerge in the coming years (such as independent journalists with their own websites, paid by blogads and contributions from their audiences -- this is already happening). Rich might as well try the route with the Kings organization, more power to him.
Great post.

- T

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 09:24 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goallum View Post
At the end of the day - I don't really look to Rich for criticism or any other editorial content, but purely for factual information, so I don't really care about any potential censorship by the Kings (although it would be pretty comical if after his assurances there wouldn't be any, it becomes obvious over time that it's there). If this means better and quicker information, which it should, then good news.
This. Rich was plain vanilla reporting on his site and provided good information. As long as that doesn't change, who cares where he is?

Last edited by Zad: 09-23-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 09:49 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I think this is a great fit. Having Rich out there following the team is wonderful - I don't expect him to lose a beat or have his content change very much. This is the best thing we could ask for in my opinion - our best inside guy now following and devoting to covering the team each day every day.... Robitaille made a good decision - I am surprised someone in the organization conjured it.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 03:38 AM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

LA Kings Beat Writer Rich Hammond Lands Dream Job

The Kings have lured beat writer extraordinaire Rich Hammond away from the Daily News to write exclusively for their official web site, raising concerns about the quality of coverage, not to mention about Hammond’s journalistic independence. Hammond spoke to Frozen Royalty and insists that will not be a concern...

LA Kings Beat Writer Rich Hammond Lands Dream Job

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 01:07 PM
BallPointHammer
Franchise Enforcer

A few things:

1. This is the Los Angeles Kings, not Watergate. Journalism has its place in the world of the NHL as there are important issues and stories involved that deserve that kind of attention and treatment. Mostly though, I think fans want and value information, straight reporting and some element of 'access'. We follow the game and our team because it is fun and exciting.

2. I believe Rich Hammond has more than adequately shown himself to be honest, straight forward, responsive to the fans interests, fair to the Kings organization and genuinely passionate about the game. His new position may very well work out better than everyone is expecting.

3. After over forty years of bumbling, stumbling and crumbling the Kings are finally on the right track to being a quality team that can contend for a championship and remain competitive for many years. In my opinion, Dean Lombardi is the best thing to ever happen to the Kings. I don't agree with or like everything he has done, but I am thrilled with where we are at right now.

4. Fans are seen and heard, and our money and rear ends are courted and counted. Beyond that we have very little direct say in what goes on with the objects of our attention and fervor. Part of the fun and frustration of the whole dynamic is that we all think we're smarter and better informed than the next guy. But we're not 'the' guys. We're not the owner or the general manager or the coach or the players. Ironically, ours can be the toughest job of them all.

BallPointHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 01:31 PM
Maynard

Send a message via AIM to Maynard
It'll be interesting to see if his occasional criticism of Leiweke continues.
Posted via Mobile Device

Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 01:40 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

As long as were now getting road coverage I am happy, hopefully the format stays the same as his inside the kings blog, but I doubt it will be exactly the same.

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 03:39 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPointHammer View Post
A few things:

1. This is the Los Angeles Kings, not Watergate. Journalism has its place in the world of the NHL as there are important issues and stories involved that deserve that kind of attention and treatment. Mostly though, I think fans want and value information, straight reporting and some element of 'access'. We follow the game and our team because it is fun and exciting.

2. I believe Rich Hammond has more than adequately shown himself to be honest, straight forward, responsive to the fans interests, fair to the Kings organization and genuinely passionate about the game. His new position may very well work out better than everyone is expecting.

3. After over forty years of bumbling, stumbling and crumbling the Kings are finally on the right track to being a quality team that can contend for a championship and remain competitive for many years. In my opinion, Dean Lombardi is the best thing to ever happen to the Kings. I don't agree with or like everything he has done, but I am thrilled with where we are at right now.

4. Fans are seen and heard, and our money and rear ends are courted and counted. Beyond that we have very little direct say in what goes on with the objects of our attention and fervor. Part of the fun and frustration of the whole dynamic is that we all think we're smarter and better informed than the next guy. But we're not 'the' guys. We're not the owner or the general manager or the coach or the players. Ironically, ours can be the toughest job of them all.
I think this is spot on, especially #3. The thing I want most from Hammond is information. I am really not that interested in his critique on every issue. The fact that he got in there and had several one-on-one interviews with Lombardi is his office where Dean is filling his little boxes gives Hammond better insight into what is going on than some lazy HOF'er.

I appreciate Rich passing that kind of information along to us, because it dovetails with what Lombardi tells the fans when he meets with them in small groups.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 02:55 PM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I don't find Helene Elliott's reporting (she does very little) or commentary particularly insightful. Her writing is more for the casual fan that insists on immediate results and doesn't understand what has been going on for the last 7 or 8 years.
Agree.

Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 03:06 PM
socalpuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
It'll be interesting to see if his occasional criticism of Leiweke continues.
Posted via Mobile Device
Does that matter? Kings fans know about Leiweke, it's great that we will get 82 game coverage of the kings.

socalpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 03:58 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

It's good to see his outstanding reporting being recognized and rewarded.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 04:12 PM
Maynard

Send a message via AIM to Maynard
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalpuck View Post
Does that matter? Kings fans know about Leiweke, it's great that we will get 82 game coverage of the kings.
Not really, just a thought. The coverage is what matters. I do believe that it's incorrect to call him a "beat reporter" though. I associate that with journalism and when you're an employee of the organization that you're covering it's not journalism, it's public relations. No big deal though, the extended coverage and information are what matters and I'm glad we will have more of it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 07:33 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
I don't think he is. I don't find Helene Elliott's reporting (she does very little) or commentary particularly insightful.

You wouldn't, because she takes the Kings organization and Lombardi to task.

Quote:
Her writing is more for the casual fan that insists on immediate results and doesn't understand what has been going on for the last 7 or 8 years.

I'm sure that she isn't stupid, but she goes for the easy and cliche criticisms. At least Hammond has spent a good deal of time with Lombardi and has written several articles and blogs about the process and why certain things are being done. I don't think Elliott does much of that at all.
Its pretty obvious that you have never spoken to her because you would know that she is extremely knowledgeable about all aspects of the game and the organization. The fact that she doesnt kow-tow to the organization or Lombardi is one reason she isn't given the access that Hammond has been given. But when she has spoken with DL, and its more often than you know, she asks the difficult questions, not the softballs that Rich does. She also analyzes what has been said to her, and doesnt simply regurgitate the party line.

Its not a knock on Rich, and I'm happy for him and the direction this takes the Kings about getting information out to the fans, but if Rich asked the kind of questions Helene does there is no way in the world he would be collecting a check from AEG.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote