Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Backlund, Pelech, Sutter going to Abbotsford

Old
09-24-2009, 09:30 AM
sureloss

vCash: 500
Backlund, Pelech, Sutter going to Abbotsford

According to his blog (in Swedish) he will be going to abbotsford.

http://nya.bloggis.se/mickis89

sureloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 09:49 AM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureloss View Post
According to his blog (in Swedish) he will be going to abbotsford.

http://nya.bloggis.se/mickis89
Good, he hasn't outplayed the players he needed to. Let him figure things out in the A for a while, no need to force him into the lineup.

kruezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 10:25 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Yeah, that's where I figured he'd be.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 10:32 AM
getoverit

That makes sense to me, Sutter said if he couldnt break the top 2 lines he wouldnt be here. I know allot felt he was going to make the club but he was invisible allot of the games, then he would have that brilliant flash moment. Still think he needs to work on other parts of his game. He will get his opportunities this year with the big club, then its up for him to make the most of it! And that Im looking forward too

getoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 01:08 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

As per the Herald, Pelech and Sutter were also assigned to Abbostford.

Quote:
Also headed for Abbotsford are D Matt Pelech and LW Brett Sutter.

Old
09-24-2009, 04:17 PM
sonetlumiere

Three more assigned to Abbotsford.

Quote:
Calgary Flames General Manager Darryl Sutter announced today that Mikael Backlund (C), Matt Pelech (D), and Brett Sutter (LW) have been assigned to the Abbotsford Heat (AHL).

The Flames now have 28 players remaining at training camp: three goalies, eight defensemen and 17 forwards
-flames.nhl.com

sonetlumiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 04:26 PM
Masterplan*

Good job there Quickdraw! But next time read the first few thread before posting (look about 6 threads down...)

Masterplan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 05:18 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Not surprising to see these 3 get sent down. All 3 are close, but just to much depth on this team right now. I can see them all up at various points this season.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 07:10 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

This is the right move for now anyways. I know alot of people were saying Backlund should make this team and I was hoping he could out of training camp too. But the fact is, he did nothing this preseason that was spectacular. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think he was held either pointless this preseason or may of had an assist. That is just not good enough to be considered playing on the top line. In Kobasew's second training camp his scored 5 goals and was the teams leading goal scorer. And although I really liked Kobasew, he never hit his full potential on this team. So in comparsion this year, Backlund's much anticipated audition to me was just average. I am hoping this assignment will light a fire under his ass and he will force the teams hand to call him up and put him at least on the 2nd line down the road this season.

On another note, Pelech had alot of expectations too. Personally I'm disapointed he didn't show more this camp. With the depth Calgary now has in its system, he will need to show something soon. Pardy brings similar intanglibles that Pelech brings, and if the management isn't sold on him, I could see him being packaged in deal bring in a forward or a quality backup goalie sometime down the road.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2009, 11:34 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

As per the Herald:

Quote:
Olli Jokinen pulled a dejected Mikael Backlund aside and delivered a pep talk before the youngster packed his bags and boarded the plane for Abbotsford.

“There’s no reason for him to be upset,” said Jokinen, the undisputed first-line centre for the Calgary Flames. “This is going to be his first year being a pro in North America. I told him that I’ve been in the minors too.

“Pretty much all of us have been in the minors at some point in our careers. He’s going to have a bright future here.”

Man, we have to get rid of this Jokinen guy. Total locker room cancer!

Old
09-24-2009, 11:43 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Interesting note. Brett Sutter finished first in the team's physicals ahead of Iginla who was 2nd. The kid continues to impress. He'll be on the team soon enough.

Old
09-24-2009, 11:55 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
As per the Herald:

That impresses me. I hope Backlund puts it together. I think a lot of these European kids really take this demotion seriously and some of them don't recover from it. I know I will be really pulling for him.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 01:18 AM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
That impresses me. I hope Backlund puts it together. I think a lot of these European kids really take this demotion seriously and some of them don't recover from it. I know I will be really pulling for him.
Same, apparently Connie did the same thing. I can certainly see Sutter on the team next year as a 4th line center. He is an ideal fit in that position, he plays hard all the time.

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 01:23 AM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
They do becasue they all feel they left home and a decent league for a dream, the NHL, but when the dream stalls, the reality of now being in a foreign country without family and friends and stuck in the "swamps" of the minors sets in. In other words, they feel their national leagues are better than the minors, so a little "buyer's remorse" and maybe homesickness sets in at first. Don't forget that they are still fairly young, and they most likely have had an agent in their ears for years telling them about one success story after the other, and how great "the move" will be.

However, Backlund did stress in his comments to the Swedish media that he of course was disappointed to be sent down (if he wasn't, they should dump him in my opinon), but he also said (paraphrased), "But, it really is a positive thing, as they (The Flames) wanted me to start the season with lots of icetime, as opposed to riding the bench in the NHL and play only sporadically. So, it's better for my career."

Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 02:21 AM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan12 View Post
Interesting note. Brett Sutter finished first in the team's physicals ahead of Iginla who was 2nd. The kid continues to impress. He'll be on the team soon enough.
fitness alone is not enough to make a NHL career.

the guy with his hockey talent is a dime a dozen.

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 08:44 AM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Flames Fan View Post

I'd say anybody able to match or beat Iginla in fitness has made a statement about their work ethic and dedication, two things which NHL players need as much as talent. Sure he'll be a 4th liner, but every team has them, you might as well devellop them from within. He certainly wasn't drafted to be a scorer.

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 08:53 AM
Abonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribban View Post
They do becasue they all feel they left home and a decent league for a dream, the NHL, but when the dream stalls, the reality of now being in a foreign country without family and friends and stuck in the "swamps" of the minors sets in. In other words, they feel their national leagues are better than the minors, so a little "buyer's remorse" and maybe homesickness sets in at first. Don't forget that they are still fairly young, and they most likely have had an agent in their ears for years telling them about one success story after the other, and how great "the move" will be.

However, Backlund did stress in his comments to the Swedish media that he of course was disappointed to be sent down (if he wasn't, they should dump him in my opinon), but he also said (paraphrased), "But, it really is a positive thing, as they (The Flames) wanted me to start the season with lots of icetime, as opposed to riding the bench in the NHL and play only sporadically. So, it's better for my career."

Great post. Thanks for the perspective.

Abonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 12:31 PM
Nordberg

vCash: 50
Well, from what he wrote in his blog he seemed positive and motivated to perform. I'm sure he'll be of great value to the Flames soon enough but it's a deep squad, so it'll be interesting to see.

Nordberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 12:38 PM
Grannys

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post

Grannys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 02:04 PM
Wpg Jets Fan

Pretty disappointed that backlund didn't have a good showing this fall. oh well, probably for the best!

Wpg Jets Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 02:11 PM
flamesfan12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Flames Fan View Post

And you know what a guy with his work ethic and heart aren't a dime a dozen. And that's why he'll be an NHL player.

Old
09-25-2009, 08:38 PM
Noori

vCash: 700
Very, very impressed with Brent Sutter.

His work-ethic... is so Sutter-like. When was the last time Iginla was beat in fitness testing?

Guaranteed 4th line center next year, and I expect to see him called up a few times this season as well.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 09:06 PM
Padlock

Keenan said the only guys he coached with scores in the 80's in the max V02 were chelios, Belfour and Iggy so that says alot about Brett. Man, those Sutters impress me more every day

Padlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2009, 10:24 PM
Grub
First Line Troll

Hey guys sorry to be trolling about, anyone have a link of a live boxscore?

Thanks

Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 01:03 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Highlander View Post
Very, very impressed with Brent Sutter.

His work-ethic... is so Sutter-like. When was the last time Iginla was beat in fitness testing?

Guaranteed 4th line center next year, and I expect to see him called up a few times this season as well.
Not that this was the point of your post, but I think Kobasew was the last one beat Iggy.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote