HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Jones' Future with the Flyers

View Poll Results: Jones' Future With The Flyers?
Waived/Dealt Before Oct 1st 46 42.99%
Waived/Dealt Half Way Through Season 17 15.89%
Trade Deadline Deal 10 9.35%
Plays Out Contract 26 24.30%
Contract Extension 8 7.48%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-26-2009, 02:26 PM
  #201
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,232
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirouxRocks View Post
very interesting topic i think jones needs to be waived as of now he just doesn't do it for me he s a failure in my eyes lets hope okt or syvret can handle the 6th d-man spot if he gets claimed of waivers or if he gets sent to the phantoms
It's done my man. He's waived.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 02:27 PM
  #202
mypunkrock
Registered User
 
mypunkrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 2,413
vCash: 500
What will they do for 6th dman, if OKT is not expected to move up?

Syvret, Syvret, Syvret

Regards,
Rick

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 02:27 PM
  #203
jd2210
Registered Non User
 
jd2210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Great White North
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,520
vCash: 500
What is Timmy talking about "sign both" Both of who? Betts is the only one of three not signed.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 02:42 PM
  #204
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,232
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
What is Timmy talking about "sign both" Both of who? Betts is the only one of three not signed.
I think he meant "have both on the NHL roster", as before Jones was waived there wouldn't have been cap space for all three of Betts/Pyorala/van Reimsdyk.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 02:50 PM
  #205
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,362
vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
What is Timmy talking about "sign both" Both of who? Betts is the only one of three not signed.
he's a complete moron

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 02:58 PM
  #206
ilovetheflyers8
Registered User
 
ilovetheflyers8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: D.C.
Country: French Guiana Independentist
Posts: 4,877
vCash: 500
Do you guys really think the Rangers might take Jones? Can they even afford Jones? I don't think they can. Any other possible teams?

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 03:13 PM
  #207
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...
 
Ex Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
Do you guys really think the Rangers might take Jones? Can they even afford Jones? I don't think they can. Any other possible teams?
The Rangers would apparently take him on re-entry waivers...if Homer does that I'm done with him. Nothing could be more stupid.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 03:14 PM
  #208
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
Do you guys really think the Rangers might take Jones? Can they even afford Jones? I don't think they can. Any other possible teams?
I think they can at half price. Which, sadly, is still more than he is worth.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 03:20 PM
  #209
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...
 
Ex Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
I think they can at half price. Which, sadly, is still more than he is worth.
They probably would at half price. They'd be ****ing over our cap. Although, think of the goals we could score on them...

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 03:29 PM
  #210
BerubeBox*
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
The Rangers would apparently take him on re-entry waivers...if Homer does that I'm done with him. Nothing could be more stupid.
I don't know all that much about the salary cap (since I detested it the moment I heard of it). What happened to the idea of a soft-cap? Is that actually in place, and no one ever uses it? Either way this sounds similar. Point is I never minded the idea all that much. The cap was introduced as a form of socialism to help crap teams with crap fanbases and/or cutthroat, skinflint owners. The Flyers have one of the best, most dedicated owners in sports and he was never afraid to spend money to give the team a shot at winning. You can tell the organization always disliked the cap as well, looked for ways around it, almost protested it in some ways. This would sort of fall into that category, I think. Like saying, here take it, you ****ing ******. It's not going to stop us from doing what we need to do.

I know the idea sucks that we'd be taking half his cap hit, but I don't know, I'm not all that enraged by this, if it happens. Not particularly happy by any means, but it would get us out of a really tight jam.


p.s. I don't want to start a debate on the merits of the salary cap. Just want to explain where I'm coming from about Jones' waiver situation.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 03:29 PM
  #211
jd2210
Registered Non User
 
jd2210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Great White North
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,520
vCash: 500
I'd like to change my vote to "waived before October 1"

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 03:31 PM
  #212
GirouxRocks
 
GirouxRocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
I'd like to change my vote to "waived before October 1"
lol i wish i could vote

GirouxRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 04:34 PM
  #213
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God
 
KimiFerrari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Argentina
Posts: 3,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
I'd like to change my vote to "waived before October 1"
LoL.

It started out with 24 votes then jumped quickly.... I wonder why ;p

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 04:36 PM
  #214
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,479
vCash: 5500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
Really? I suppose for the most part Homer is pretty good at letting people know where they stand but for the sake of examples.......

One day before they cut Bedard last year I remember Homer saying "we want him to help our team and not someone elses"

I don't remember the exact quote on Dowd that same year but it was very similar in nature.


I really don't care either way, I just want Jones gone. I've been trying to think the past few hours about another Flyer that I have hated more than him. The only names that pop up for me are Pat Faloon, Bob Froese (remember when he had that huge hissfit about Lindberg and how he hoped the team would not win the cup because they played Pelle isntead?), Anatoli Semenov, and Shawn Antoski and I think I dislike Jones more than any of those guys.

He is arrogant, can't skate backwards to save his life, has zero dedication to his team, and got an inflated contract because he was being compared to an injured Jason Smith an injured Hatcher and guys like Kukkonen and Modry.
That's what they told the media. You don't know what he told them.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 05:43 PM
  #215
Flyerfan808
Registered User
 
Flyerfan808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Honolulu, HI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,002
vCash: 500
Waiting this long to cut Jones essentially cost us Mike Knuble this offseason. With all due respect I wish we still had him on this team as opposed to Laperriere. I hope that management takes Homer to the woodshed for this one. Losing Knuble for a guy like Jones is a ******* shame.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 05:49 PM
  #216
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
Waiting this long to cut Jones essentially cost us Mike Knuble this offseason. With all due respect I wish we still had him on this team as opposed to Laperriere. I hope that management takes Homer to the woodshed for this one. Losing Knuble for a guy like Jones is a ******* shame.
You need to go back in time a bit longer to really grasp the stupidity of Jones.

Jones' contract -- the fact that he is grossly overpaid -- was the reason we had to deal Upshall. And independent of how you might feel about Carcillo, that trade on value alone was friggin atrocious. If they had been able to wait until this offseason to move Upshall, they would have picked something up rather than giving away a 2nd with him. (Note: I believe there is no way we could/should have kept Upshall through this summer in any event.)

After that you get to the fact that if they decide Jones isn't in their plans...Knuble is VERY signable -- or perhaps some other player they might have gone after.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 06:16 PM
  #217
Flyerfan808
Registered User
 
Flyerfan808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Honolulu, HI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
You need to go back in time a bit longer to really grasp the stupidity of Jones.

Jones' contract -- the fact that he is grossly overpaid -- was the reason we had to deal Upshall. And independent of how you might feel about Carcillo, that trade on value alone was friggin atrocious. If they had been able to wait until this offseason to move Upshall, they would have picked something up rather than giving away a 2nd with him. (Note: I believe there is no way we could/should have kept Upshall through this summer in any event.)

After that you get to the fact that if they decide Jones isn't in their plans...Knuble is VERY signable -- or perhaps some other player they might have gone after.
Its true what you say about Jones costing us Upshall also, a case could be made for him costing us several players (Metro, Vaananen, Kukkonen.) The reason why I singled out Knuble is for the same reason you stated, I too am not certain that any of those players could/would have still been with the club after this summer.

Also, I am still cautiously optimistic about Carcillo. I agree that value wise we got ripped off, but I want to give him another half a season on the squad before I make any determination about him. One cannot deny that he brings a fiestyness to the table that Upshall did not. He has the ability to put points up while at the same time keeping the opposing team "honest." Work to control his emotions and not take stupid penalties, he must. If he can, I wouldn't consider the trade to be a complete waste.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 06:54 PM
  #218
ilovetheflyers8
Registered User
 
ilovetheflyers8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: D.C.
Country: French Guiana Independentist
Posts: 4,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
Waiting this long to cut Jones essentially cost us Mike Knuble this offseason. With all due respect I wish we still had him on this team as opposed to Laperriere. I hope that management takes Homer to the woodshed for this one. Losing Knuble for a guy like Jones is a ******* shame.
We also could've kept Alberts who I liked, but I'm happy Syvret is going to get a chance, and OKT is okay.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 07:03 PM
  #219
ilovetheflyers8
Registered User
 
ilovetheflyers8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: D.C.
Country: French Guiana Independentist
Posts: 4,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
Its true what you say about Jones costing us Upshall also, a case could be made for him costing us several players (Metro, Vaananen, Kukkonen.) The reason why I singled out Knuble is for the same reason you stated, I too am not certain that any of those players could/would have still been with the club after this summer.

Also, I am still cautiously optimistic about Carcillo. I agree that value wise we got ripped off, but I want to give him another half a season on the squad before I make any determination about him. One cannot deny that he brings a fiestyness to the table that Upshall did not. He has the ability to put points up while at the same time keeping the opposing team "honest." Work to control his emotions and not take stupid penalties, he must. If he can, I wouldn't consider the trade to be a complete waste.
Haha, this makes me think of Star Wars. We need to make a photoshop of Carcillo with a grimace on his face, and Darth Vader on one side saying "use your emotions, get in a fight", and Yoda on the other saying "control your emotions make the play".... but preferably more humorous .

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.