HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Boucher (out 7-10 days, lower body -- post #47); Backlund recalled

Old
09-26-2009, 11:36 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 50
Brian Boucher (out 7-10 days, lower body -- post #47); Backlund recalled

http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landi...466&feedID=695

Quote:
Backup goalie Brian Boucher suffered what is believed to be either a groin pull or hip injury Saturday night, during a 1-0 loss to the Devils at Prudential Center.

The Flyers are calling it a “lower body” injury.

The timing here could not be worse, with the regular season set to begin Friday night in Carolina and with Boucher not having looked “action” ready, like starter Ray Emery has.

“It was [on] movement,” Boucher said, choosing his words carefully, to describe how he got hurt. “Lower body injury. That’s it. I really can’t elaborate.”

He said he did not take a shot, nor did he get hit. He said the pain was “not severe,” and that it was not an injury he’s had had before.

Is it cause for concern?

“No,” Boucher said.

Boucher played just 11:54 into the first period, giving up the game’s only goal on just three shots.

Ironically, this was to have been Boucher’s first full game in net this preseason.

“It’s disappointing,” he said. “When you’re a new guy on a team, it’s not what you are looking to do, having to come out of the game and subject your partner [Emery] to that, coming in cold when he’s supposed to have the night off.”

The Flyers expect to have a medical update on Boucher on Sunday.

“They [training staff] don’t think it’s too bad,” said coach John Stevens. “He’s got a little bit of an issue there and we don’t want to push it.”

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 09-27-2009 at 01:07 PM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 11:54 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

vCash: 500
With Boucher's play being well below standards so far, and now this injury... which may be the type that is often one that lingers with goalies throughout the season (groin)... I suggest that Homer explores obtaining Biron from the Isles. Marty is signed for the year cheap, and would fit in well as a back up that could step up if needed... and the Isles have an excess of goalies with number one experience.

I brought this up in the Jones thread... suggesting they trade Jone for Biron.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2009, 11:58 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersJunky View Post
With Boucher's play being well below standards so far, and now this injury... which may be the type that is often one that lingers with goalies throughout the season (groin)... I suggest that Homer explores obtaining Biron from the Isles. Marty is signed for the year cheap, and would fit in well as a back up that could step up if needed... and the Isles have an excess of goalies with number one experience.

No thanks to Biron. I would rather have Roloson. Im letting the Biron ship sail and I hope it never returns.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 12:02 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
No thanks to Biron. I would rather have Roloson. Im letting the Biron ship sail and I hope it never returns.
Even at a bargain basement Cap hit... and a BU role?

Old
09-27-2009, 12:07 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
That's silly to say. Biron was never the reason for our playoff failures and he always got way more flak then he deserved. He was a good guy and a good enough goalie.

But to say that you won't even have him as a backup at a bargain price? Come on.

I think that would be the best option. Isles would probably do it and I personally believe that that would be one of the best one-two punches in the league in net. It would probably be smart to clear a bit of cap space first though since his cap hit is almost as big as Emery's (IIRC).

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 12:08 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
in the nhl '10 world, it would be fine. but bringing biron back in here, i donno, that seems like it could get awkward and weird kind of quickly.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 12:08 AM
ArmchairGM

The Isles wouldn't give him back for cheap. It would probably take at least a 2nd round pick.

Anyway, that ship has sailed. It's not worth bringing in Biron because the Biron apologists will still want him to start.

ArmchairGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 12:17 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:

If it's a goalie they want, they're probably better off having someone hit waivers.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 12:17 AM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
I dont hate him because I think he was the reason he lost the playoffs for us. Even as a backup goalie, he would still suck. Its Biron. I dont care how cheap he is. I wouldnt take him for free. Hell I wouldnt even take him on my roller hockey league team.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 12:20 AM
ArmchairGM

Manny Fernandez?

But then what do you do with Boucher? For the record, I wouldn't make any moves.

ArmchairGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 12:30 AM
PhilaFlyers

Boucher has been horrible.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 12:44 AM
Kaktus*

So far... Seems like Boucher did not come here to play hockey.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 12:54 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Danis? Oh wait..

Fernandez is out there.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 12:58 AM
mercury

Maybe it's bad and he goes on LTIR? There will be goalies available next week, I am sure.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 01:06 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
so if he's hurt to start the year...backlund? ugh.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 01:08 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairGM View Post
The Isles wouldn't give him back for cheap. It would probably take at least a 2nd round pick.

Anyway, that ship has sailed. It's not worth bringing in Biron because the Biron apologists will still want him to start.
When I said cheap, I meant his contract... which was signed very low, and I believe well below Emery cost... more like the Boucher contract.

I would put Boucher in the AHL when he came off IR... If it is a groin, he may be pretty well shot for the year... and he wasn't looking too good before the injury, anyway.

As for those who believe it would be awkward; Biron wanted to stay here, and he wants to prove he can still be a number one by being a back up and winning a job. Emery also wants to prove he is still a number one... One very well may play himself into a larger contract and off the Flyers; if Emery, in a #1 role earns a big deal, he can be let go, and Biron could be signed for next season if he proves he still has it... or the Flyers can re-sign Emery bat a big raise, or they could look elsewhere. In any event, I believe Marty would come in to win the job without causing trouble.

EDIT: I don't think he would get that much support here to start over Emery... as long as Emery continues to look and play well... and win. If he doesn't, Marty would deserve a shot at the job.

Old
09-27-2009, 01:08 AM
Mota

If they could get Biron back, it would be pretty awesome. Itd be nice to have some more certain security if the Emery experiment blows up in their face.

I think Ray will do fine, but I would feel a lot better having Marty back.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 01:10 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
that would never work. biron is a starting goalie. bringing him in would make a guy who has a history of being a poor teammate feel like he isn't wanted which would definitely effect his play. if someone else is brought in it would have to be another career backup guy. i am not knocking biron, he is a good goalie, i wouldn't have been mad if he stayed in philly, but they have emery now and they have to stick with that, at least until it is a problem (which i don't think will be the case at all). bringing in another starting goalie would show a serious lack of confidence in emery which would surely get into his head. also i don't think biron would like playing second fiddle to a guy who once beat him up.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 01:11 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
Maybe it's bad and he goes on LTIR? There will be goalies available next week, I am sure.
Who... and at what cost?

Old
09-27-2009, 01:11 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Sooner or later we are going to have to try not be be so cheap and sign a starting goalie starting money.

Also I agree that bringing Biron back makes Emery look like he isnt wanted here. We signed Emery to be our number one, and then we go and resign our last year's number one. Yea... thats not great for confidence at all.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 01:15 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Oh and I think they will give Backlund the backup job first before going out and getting anyone else.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 01:16 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
that would never work. biron is a starting goalie. bringing him in would make a guy who has a history of being a poor teammate feel like he isn't wanted which would definitely effect his play. if someone else is brought in it would have to be another career backup guy. i am not knocking biron, he is a good goalie, i wouldn't have been mad if he stayed in philly, but they have emery now and they have to stick with that, at least until it is a problem (which i don't think will be the case at all). bringing in another starting goalie would show a serious lack of confidence in emery which would surely get into his head. also i don't think biron would like playing second fiddle to a guy who once beat him up.
Marty is what? Number three on the Isles -- a bad, very bad team -- now?... Being #2 on a Cup contender, and one he likes, is a step up. He wanted to stay he, and would have been paid much more if he wasn't demanding a long contract at too high a figure. This gives them both a shot to prove their worth; head to head competition.

... And, I don't see him as the type to hold a grudge.

Old
09-27-2009, 01:20 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Sooner or later we are going to have to try not be be so cheap and sign a starting goalie starting money.

Also I agree that bringing Biron back makes Emery look like he isnt wanted here. We signed Emery to be our number one, and then we go and resign our last year's number one. Yea... thats not great for confidence at all.
Remember Homer was looking to sign Marty also when he first signed Emery... and Razor was fine with that.

And this is no time to spend big... when there is no Cap space to do so. Besides, that goes against what you're saying about not allowing Emery to gain confidence and feel wanted.

Old
09-27-2009, 01:25 AM
coda

...Backlund anyone?...I didnt think he looked that bad...

coda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 01:30 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by coda View Post
...Backlund anyone?...I didnt think he looked that bad...
From all I hear, he didn't look that good.