HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

FROZEN FURY XII - Colorado v. Los Angeles - 9/26/09 - 6PM

Closed Thread

Old
09-27-2009, 02:58 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

vCash: 500
Don't look now but Simmonds has 6 goals this pre-season.

Old
09-27-2009, 03:16 AM
kingsholygrail
Hail HYDRA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
No, at least I don't think so, Murray said yesterday that he was giving Schenn the night off.
I imagine he'll play against the Ducks.

Old
09-27-2009, 03:53 AM
ru4reals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughty Number 8 View Post
I will give my review of every player and the game in general:

First off, I was sitting in front of what was either a 13 year old boy who was in the process of changing his voice, or a 33 year old lesbian who had gone on an extensive whiskey binge. But it sounded like someone was torturing a god damn cat.

So here we go:

G

Quick: Disappointing. Other than a good one in the last minute, Quick had no big saves, and let in 2 questionable goals (though I was on the other side of the ice at the time). He looked unconfident and his positioning was subpar

D

Jack Johnson: Amazing. Absolutely amazing. Rushing the puck, keeping his man to the outside, he was all over the place tonight (in a good way). 2 assists on the night, easily the best defenseman on either side

Drew Doughty: Also had an amazing game. The scary thing is that his hockey sense is actually improving. He knows where to be, and never has any problems clearing the puck. Also he scored an absolute beauty, on a Bobby-Orr-esq Rush

Davis Drewiske: I am essentially his advocate, and well, he impressed very much. He is the 3rd offensive defenseman on the team, but what makes him good is his good hockey sense and his good skating. I dont think he's the most reliable in terms of strength in the defensive zone, but he's always in the right place.

Rob Scuderi: man he impressed me. I thought I was going to be dissapointed, but he really has an elite pokecheck. Overall, he is elite on the defensive side of the ice. He will win 90% of the battles with his stick. However, he literally only has one move to move the puck - chip it off the boards on the backhand. Good thing he is with JMFJ

Matt Greene: took some bad penalties, but was physical and plays hard. It would be wrong to say that he has "blossoming offensive abilities" but let's just say that he can make a decent outlet pass at this point.

Alec Martinez: Dissapointing. Offensively, he's capable and is pretty effective in terms of puck possession along the blueline, but he looked lost a lot of times. Simply put, he's not close to being Doughty's caliber and it showed due to them being paired.

F:

Anze Kopitar: truly the man of the hour. He scored 2 goals (1 of which was a broken play created by JMFJ, the other was a beautiful PS) but could have had 4, he missed several beautiful opportunities. He is physical, and keeps up with the play. He has been conditioned well. Expect to see a different Kopi.

Ryan Smyth: Not particularily suprising in either way. I guess I expected a little more presence in front of the net, but he grinded well, and has suprisingly impressive playmaking ability. His veteran presence is very noticeably positive.

Justin Williams: Put into a role which he cannot possibly fulfill. Get him the **** off the powerplay point, he cant do that. In fact, he can't function on the powerplay period. Shoot-first. But I like that at even strength. Great even strength 2nd line player, but dont expect him to do well at 1st line or on the powerplay. I will just say this again for clarity: his performance on the powerplay was god awful.

Alexander Frolov: Pretty much your standard Alexander Frolov game. Elite puck protection along the boards, not too much offense, when he was in good position, the puck bounced badly for him. He could have scored 2 goals in situations, in 1 situation he missed the net, in the other, he flubbed on the shot entirely

Michal Handzus: OK game. He played his game, did his role, but not that well. I wouldnt say that he had a bad game, but he had an off game. Im not really worried, it's obvious that he was just in a minor slump and nothing more (IE he didnt get a puck that was going right too him etc)

Wayne Simmonds: Possibly the story of the game. Gordie Howe hat trick, easily the best player on his line, just a dominant game. He will be so good next year. Expect him to be the Kings best winger other than Smyth.

Dustin Brown: Penalties defined his game. To me, he has cemented the reputation of being a diver. Took some bad penalties, and often got lucky that other got penalties as well. Generally played a mediocre game. Had a good opportunity and drove to the net, and made a good defensive play or 2. Expect more of 08-09 Brown than 07-08 Brown

Jarrett Stoll: Ugh. Terrible game. I dont care about the assist, he did so little right. He took a bad penalty, and was responsible directly for the 1st goal. Turnover machine, made all the wrong plays. Bad game for him.

Ted Purcell: Flashes of impressiveness. However, I dont know if he will be as good as they suggest. Doesnt shoot the puck enough. Works suprisingly well along the boards. The best player on his line.

Trevor Lewis: Really awesome. He is looking more and more like an astute 1st round choice. He has 50 point 2-way center written all over him. Works along the boards well, he's a lock to make the team, and could eventually replace (within the next 2 years) one of Stoll or Handzus

Kevin Westgarth: He's much, much better than Ivanans. He fights, and he can also skate a regular shift wihtout getting a penalty.

Coaching: I thought that the Kings were exceptionally well coached. We always had the right line out, and I loved the line changes that were made. I think that Terry Murray clearly outcoached Joe Sacco.
Thanks for the great update man, props to you for writing all that stuff down, nice. Somebody must have had a video camera of some sort. I think all of us would love to see the Simmonds fight and Doughty goal. Or any kind of hightlights. I know it's just pre-season but man at least broadcast one game. Especially if it's Frozen Fury.

Old
09-27-2009, 07:47 AM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

Doughty #8 you need to give JW some slack.

the guy has not played much the last two years and is likely still rusty and getting used to his teammates, in preseason no less.

before the injuries he put up 25ppps and 24ppps B2B years. he does everything well on the PP. finds lose pucks, gets to open spaces, fires a lot of rubber on net and can take the puck to the front and slide it across the slot for the open shot.

you'll love JW on the PP by mid season.

Old
09-27-2009, 09:38 AM
Johnny Utah

What happened with Westgarth vs. Koci?

Old
09-27-2009, 10:23 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? View Post
His upside seems to be very masked. I wonder just how far he can push it. This kid is going to be a pleasure to watch for quite sometime. I hope we never get rid of him.

"I think part of his game is hes over aggressive at times, which I like. Well tame that. Id rather tame a lion than paint stripes on the kitty cat." - Dean Lombardi discussing Brayden McNabb
Old
09-27-2009, 10:49 AM
Maynard

Send a message via AIM to Maynard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
I'll give my best recollection, I was somewhat hammered so I may be inaccurate.

They dropped gloves right after a faceoff. Westgarth seemed to get a couple of shots in, then Koci popped him back a couple and Westgarth's helmet flew off. Seemed to be pretty even, maybe a slight edge to Koci because he got in the late shots and the helmet flying off. They were both fine after. No huge shots but Westgarth seems to have found some balance.

The Simmonds fight was WAY better. That kid has an uppercut and lands it whenever he wants. Left the avs guy (not sure who) bleeding and he had to leave the ice. Just an asskicking by Wayne.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
09-27-2009, 11:54 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Draw or win Koci for the shot that knocked off Westys helmet. No real shots landed by either guy. Koci went for the takedown towards the end of the fight.

Old
09-27-2009, 07:21 PM
Brad Doty
System Goalie

vCash: 250
I'll try to follow up with my comments, boldfaced

Quote:
I will give my review of every player and the game in general:

G

Quick: Disappointing. Other than a good one in the last minute, Quick had no big saves, and let in 2 questionable goals (though I was on the other side of the ice at the time). He looked unconfident and his positioning was subpar

Totally agree. Looked shaky at best...was disgustingly Labarberesque.

D

Jack Johnson: Amazing. Absolutely amazing. Rushing the puck, keeping his man to the outside, he was all over the place tonight (in a good way). 2 assists on the night, easily the best defenseman on either side

He missed a few assignments and clearly still needs to work on his D. He got lucky twice on back door passes that went through him but past an Av, but he's growing into more and more of an offensive monster and you can see his confidence building, which is big.

Drew Doughty: Also had an amazing game. The scary thing is that his hockey sense is actually improving. He knows where to be, and never has any problems clearing the puck. Also he scored an absolute beauty, on a Bobby-Orr-esq Rush

I think Drew was the best defenseman in the game all-around. He was getting involved physically (even pissed off and roughing up a few Avs after the whisltes), rushing the puck, and sticking anyone near him. I was worried about a sophomore slump, but after the last few games, I'm at ease.

Davis Drewiske: I am essentially his advocate, and well, he impressed very much. He is the 3rd offensive defenseman on the team, but what makes him good is his good hockey sense and his good skating. I dont think he's the most reliable in terms of strength in the defensive zone, but he's always in the right place.

Rob Scuderi: man he impressed me. I thought I was going to be dissapointed, but he really has an elite pokecheck. Overall, he is elite on the defensive side of the ice. He will win 90% of the battles with his stick. However, he literally only has one move to move the puck - chip it off the boards on the backhand. Good thing he is with JMFJ

Totally agree here. He's not overly physical, but the guy has a cheatmode NHL 09 pokecheck and can strip the puck from anyone in any position. Yeah, his breakout passing sucks afterward, but it's not dangerous passes up the middle at least. His positioning is AMAZING and I hope it rubs off on the younger defensemen.

Matt Greene: took some bad penalties, but was physical and plays hard. It would be wrong to say that he has "blossoming offensive abilities" but let's just say that he can make a decent outlet pass at this point.

Greene surprises me sometimes. There was one play where he was behind our net with the puck looking for a breakout pass and got some pressure from a forechecker, and I could have sworn he would fumble it right onto an Av stick, but instead he calmly (and QUICKLY) skated it out with two Avalanche forecheckers on him and popped a beautiful breakout pass to our forward (Frolov?). I thought he got a brutal holding call later in the game, but I generally agree that he takes some pretty bonehead penalties...but at least they're on the side of hard play not laziness.

Alec Martinez: Dissapointing. Offensively, he's capable and is pretty effective in terms of puck possession along the blueline, but he looked lost a lot of times. Simply put, he's not close to being Doughty's caliber and it showed due to them being paired.

Kinda disagree here. I thought it was an interesting pairing. Martinez seemed content to stay at home for Doughty, but he does have good vision and was excellent at moving the puck. Maybe it's because I didn't expect much out of him, but he looked good. My only major problem with Martinez is he got muscled off the puck easily a few times. And though I sorta agree that he looked lost at times, Scuderi also had a few of those "oh, I should be over THERE" moments which seems like a systems thing more than a lack of hockey sense.

F:

Anze Kopitar: truly the man of the hour. He scored 2 goals (1 of which was a broken play created by JMFJ, the other was a beautiful PS) but could have had 4, he missed several beautiful opportunities. He is physical, and keeps up with the play. He has been conditioned well. Expect to see a different Kopi.

Agree, and looked even stronger along the boards than before. He was absolutely flying on a few occasions, and I hope we're getting the gutsy rookie go-to-the-net Anze back. It sure looks that way. Also, during a scrum in front of the net when douchecanoe Foote slewfooted Brown, Anze went over to have a word, and I'm not sure what Av it was that got in the way, but Anze put him in a pretty damn solid headlock.

Ryan Smyth: Not particularily suprising in either way. I guess I expected a little more presence in front of the net, but he grinded well, and has suprisingly impressive playmaking ability. His veteran presence is very noticeably positive.

Absolutely busted his ass at both ends of the rink. He sure didn't look his age out there. He took the puck directly to the net a few times despite a defenseman getting prepared to pop him every time.

Justin Williams: Put into a role which he cannot possibly fulfill. Get him the **** off the powerplay point, he cant do that. In fact, he can't function on the powerplay period. Shoot-first. But I like that at even strength. Great even strength 2nd line player, but dont expect him to do well at 1st line or on the powerplay. I will just say this again for clarity: his performance on the powerplay was god awful.

Agree on his fumbles on the powerplay, disagree on his powerplay presence period. He was sloppy at the point and will lead to SH goals, but he is unquestionably a first line winger. But I think he'd be better served down lower on the power play, absolutely.

Alexander Frolov: Pretty much your standard Alexander Frolov game. Elite puck protection along the boards, not too much offense, when he was in good position, the puck bounced badly for him. He could have scored 2 goals in situations, in 1 situation he missed the net, in the other, he flubbed on the shot entirely

Not much more to say here. "standard" Frolov game indeed.

Michal Handzus: OK game. He played his game, did his role, but not that well. I wouldnt say that he had a bad game, but he had an off game. Im not really worried, it's obvious that he was just in a minor slump and nothing more (IE he didnt get a puck that was going right too him etc)

Yeah, he couldn't get a break. Also had two shifts where he was just taking a friggin pounding.

Wayne Simmonds: Possibly the story of the game. Gordie Howe hat trick, easily the best player on his line, just a dominant game. He will be so good next year. Expect him to be the Kings best winger other than Smyth.

I know it's preseason, but this guy needs to get locked up ASAP. has beaten defensemen with speed on the outside a few times in the last several games, shown a willingness to get dirty, and absolutely and brutally MURDERED that guy in his scrap. He's got the killer instinct we want Brown to have. It's the progression we had hoped for from this guy and more.

Dustin Brown: Penalties defined his game. To me, he has cemented the reputation of being a diver. Took some bad penalties, and often got lucky that other got penalties as well. Generally played a mediocre game. Had a good opportunity and drove to the net, and made a good defensive play or 2. Expect more of 08-09 Brown than 07-08 Brown Agree here, sadly. Though yeah, he did show more willingness to go to the net. I don't know what's eating Brown. I dunno if it's the responsibility of the "C" and caring too much, trying to do too much himself or whatever, but he looked worthless. VERY much the Brown of the end of last year. Was really sad to see I'm hoping it's just because it's the preseason, but practice how you play, you know?

Jarrett Stoll: Ugh. Terrible game. I dont care about the assist, he did so little right. He took a bad penalty, and was responsible directly for the 1st goal. Turnover machine, made all the wrong plays. Bad game for him. He did past Quincey though. That's about it though.

Ted Purcell: Flashes of impressiveness. However, I dont know if he will be as good as they suggest. Doesnt shoot the puck enough. Works suprisingly well along the boards. The best player on his line. Looked good. Needs more consistency. He looked amazing a few games back, but last night, he looked more like last year's shy-of-contact Purcell, which clearly won't work. Though yes, when he has the puck, he's terrific.

Trevor Lewis: Really awesome. He is looking more and more like an astute 1st round choice. He has 50 point 2-way center written all over him. Works along the boards well, he's a lock to make the team, and could eventually replace (within the next 2 years) one of Stoll or HandzusI hope it's because you paid more attention to him than I did, but to me, Lewis looked ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE. He spent time on his ass on three separate occasions when someone didn't even touch him and coughed up the puck for a turnover each time. While he pays attention to D and hustles, he didn't look like an upgrade on Richardson or Harrold to me. I guess I just didn't see him do anything productive, but again, I'm hoping I'm horribly wrong.

Kevin Westgarth: He's much, much better than Ivanans. He fights, and he can also skate a regular shift wihtout getting a penalty.The way Westgarth fights is entertaining; he's totally freaking reckless, but it's going to get someone killed, most likely him. But it does seem like he can take a shift without being a horrible liability.

Coaching: I thought that the Kings were exceptionally well coached. We always had the right line out, and I loved the line changes that were made. I think that Terry Murray clearly outcoached Joe Sacco.

Totally concur.

Some other side notes: Quincey got tangled up with quite a few former teammates. He got tangled up with Brown, who bodyslammed him after an awkward-looking overhead hold. Him and Anze hacked one another before bearhugging it out. Stoll throttled him, and Quincey repaid it with a hack and a slewfoot. God, I miss Quincey already

Foote is a supreme dick, but we already knew that.

The Kings pregame was INSANE--if that kind of support carries over to the season at staples, good god.

An Avs fan right next to my girl and I who was trying to run his mouth all game ended up yakking his one beer all over the other avs fan right in front of him. Priceless. He sure got it from us after that.

100 oz drinks are good/bad news.

Every time Quick leaves the net to play the puck, I stand up and freak out. The dude needs help.

Did I mention Foote is a dick?

I'm sure more will come up but I just got done with the nice, long drive home. Was a hell of a lot of fun, and I'll definitely be going back next year

Old
09-27-2009, 07:50 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
I'll try to follow up with my comments, boldfaced
I have to agree with your assesment of Quick's puckhandling. Terrible.

I would also like to add that I was on the other side of the ice and I got to saw Kopitar and Quincey up and close. After they got tied up together, they exchanged a few words and some smiles.

Nice to see Kopi getting involved

Old
09-27-2009, 07:53 PM
Brad Doty
System Goalie

Sorry, one more thing that irks me that is a carryover from last season that STILL haunts and can kill this team--these guys CANNOT hit the net. Purcell couldn't hit the water if he fell out of a boat. Dude shot LITERALLY 15 feet wide one time, which was a nice breakout pass for Stastny. A couple of odd-man breaks were blown by missed shots, not to mention Kopi's breakaway attempt which went well wide.

These guys can't get rebounds when they're going for the pretty snipe every time. Goalies kinda know to look for those shots, too. If the Kings can't get those extra 5-6 shots per game, things add up.

I know you can't hit the net every single time, but I'm sure if someone was tracking missed shots, the Kings would be near the top of the league.

Old
09-27-2009, 07:56 PM
Brad Doty
System Goalie

Quote:
I have to agree with your assesment of Quick's puckhandling. Terrible.

I would also like to add that I was on the other side of the ice and I got to saw Kopitar and Quincey up and close. After they got tied up together, they exchanged a few words and some smiles.

Nice to see Kopi getting involved
Yeah, I didn't see expressions or anything, I was in the upper sections...but they did seem to ease up after the initial contact. Still nice to see Kopi not being a total cream puff.

I'm VERY happy with Smyth, believe me, but I think Quincey is going to be a very solid top-pairing defenseman.

Jealous of your seats!

Old
09-27-2009, 08:00 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
Yeah, I didn't see expressions or anything, I was in the upper sections...but they did seem to ease up after the initial contact. Still nice to see Kopi not being a total cream puff.

I'm VERY happy with Smyth, believe me, but I think Quincey is going to be a very solid top-pairing defenseman.

Jealous of your seats!
well I kind of snuck into the seats so...

Old
09-27-2009, 11:51 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Here is a short article about the game.
http://www.lakingsnews.com

Quote:
Once per season, a sea of Kings fans storm Sin City and descend on the strip. They come not just for the casinos, shows, lights and decadence but to bring their passion, pride and powerful love for puck to the host who dares to extend an invitation.

This season, the MGM Grand again opened its Grand Garden Arena to the Kings and Avalanche. The arena accommodates boxing, concerts and other sporting events. On September 26, what was likely over ten thousand Kings fans with lungs to spare packed the arena to witness the twelfth edition of Frozen Fury.

The game was in all respects a Kings "home game." Avalanche fans found themselves badly outnumbered and on the receiving end of boos and jeers. This writer was particularly amused by the pack mentality and teamwork that instinctively took over when Kings fans surrounded Colorado fans in the stands and directed their well timed and relentless "all in good fun" verbal assault on any man or woman who dared to dawn the "A" at the center of their jersey.
To read more, click on the link above.

There is also a little tidbit about the always fun Ryan "Duck Hunter."

Last edited by Zad: 09-28-2009 at 12:45 AM.
Old
09-27-2009, 11:52 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

I was loaded like a freight train and flying like an aeroplane by the time the puck dropped so this is what I remember:

Good:
Wayne Simmonds just keeps getting better. He has now demolished two guys so far this pre-season with last night's devestation of the Avalanche nation. I was pretty close to it and kept yelling "what happened to your face?" but Kendricks was not able to speak even if he heard me due to the pool of blood he was wallowing in. Ok..it wasn't that bad but it was very brutal. According to Diehard, Kendricks received 10 stitches and a broken nose. Ref tried to clean the blood up with his skate which was laughable as they had to bring the shovel out. It was a pretty chippy game but it settled down after that fight. These guys keep on other fighters and I think Simmonds is gaining a serious rep around the league. Oh, and his actual hockey skills are so much fun to watch. He never has a boring shift and you have to watch him...just electric.

Doughty's goal was just a great shot. I didn't stand up and cheer until everyone else did because the puck shot at so fast that I thought it must have hit the post. Threw a nice hipcheck which is the second nice stand-up typ hit I've seen him throw this pre-season. He looks more confident than last year...don't discount the invite to the Canada camp and his good performance in the scrimmage. I have absolute confidence that there will not be a sophomore slump.

Johnson's offensive talent is definitely high-end. I loved his set-up on the Kopitar goal as he drove hard to the net. It wasn't just the drive to the net but it was the decision to make it. He didn't really have much of a step but, instead of stopping and turning back towards the blueline like all of the defensemen did last season, he dropped the shoulder and created a goal. While watching Johnson and Doughty this pre-season, I see tons of confidence just oozing out of them. They want to score goals this season and appear to have the green light to go for it.

Kopitar played like a #1 center should. My friend who is a Ducks fan didn't know who Anderson was for the Avs. Anderson made some pretty big saves and my friend was really impressed. After the shootout goal, my friend says to me in all seriousness: "But he's still a new goalie though, right?" It was a very nice move. He's also getting involved physically and, most importantly, driving the net.

This may be due to Ryan Smyth. These guys didn't drive the net at all last season and now everyone, and I mean everyone, is going straight towards the net. Smyth looked great last night and is just a very talented hockey player. This is the big difference I see between this year's squad and the previous crap: there is no denying that there is more pure hockey skill out there for the Kings. Does anyone remember any really good goals that the Kings scored off the rush last season? It seemed they never really scored off the rush but rather on deflections/rebounds. The games I have seen in the pre-season are of a team that is better in transition and simply more talented than we've seen in awhile.

Scuderi is very good positionally and good with the poke-check. The defense is better than last season in my opinion due to Scuderi and the emergence of Johnson. It's still just pre-season though.

I was able to get back to my room in the first tower of The Signature during the first intermission, refill my large cup of Jameson and some other things and make it back in time to see Simmonds put the best punch I have seen a King land in years. You'd probably have to go back to Norton vs. Sawyer for a King to win with such devastation. I also met Diehard which was cool. Good guy and one of my favorite reads on the boards so it was great to put a face with a name. I'll definitely stop by your section at some games this season.

Bad:
Stoll was atrocious but to be expected since he's behind everyone right now due to missing all of the pre-season basically.

Quick was average which was a little but of a bummer.

I love Matt Greene but this was a subpar game for him. A few fumbles at the blueline and a tough holding call late in the 3rd.

Lewis was unimpressive for me personally and I thought he looked great during his stint last season. He did not look as good as he did then.

Clune getting hurt really pissed me off. I want this guy on the roster opening night and now that may not be an option. He skated right up behind Koci immediately following the fight, like the linesmen just grabbed both of them. Clune starts jawing right in his ear and Kendricks came over and it looked like they may fight. He was definitely going to get into a fight so it was a bummer he went out, especially since it was on a real nice play where he created a scoring chance by skating right around a guy on the outside.

I'm bummed I didn't meet everyone else but I was so rockin' that I didn't really have any concept of time or what I should be doing at that point...I basically just followed my friends. I'll have to try again next year.

Also, the drive back was a nightmare. Listend to all of Animals and Dark Side of the Moon and could still see Vegas in my rear-view mirror. Utterly disgusting, especially when you settled for 2 hours of sleep the night before. Fun weekend though and the game, as usual, was so much fun. This game has more intensity in the crowd than you've probably seen at Staples since the playoffs. The players feed off of it and really go at it.

Old
09-28-2009, 02:03 AM
Brad Doty
System Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
I was loaded like a freight train and flying like an aeroplane by the time the puck dropped so this is what I remember:

Good:
Wayne Simmonds just keeps getting better. He has now demolished two guys so far this pre-season with last night's devestation of the Avalanche nation. I was pretty close to it and kept yelling "what happened to your face?" but Kendricks was not able to speak even if he heard me due to the pool of blood he was wallowing in. Ok..it wasn't that bad but it was very brutal. According to Diehard, Kendricks received 10 stitches and a broken nose. Ref tried to clean the blood up with his skate which was laughable as they had to bring the shovel out. It was a pretty chippy game but it settled down after that fight. These guys keep on other fighters and I think Simmonds is gaining a serious rep around the league. Oh, and his actual hockey skills are so much fun to watch. He never has a boring shift and you have to watch him...just electric.

Doughty's goal was just a great shot. I didn't stand up and cheer until everyone else did because the puck shot at so fast that I thought it must have hit the post. Threw a nice hipcheck which is the second nice stand-up typ hit I've seen him throw this pre-season. He looks more confident than last year...don't discount the invite to the Canada camp and his good performance in the scrimmage. I have absolute confidence that there will not be a sophomore slump.

Johnson's offensive talent is definitely high-end. I loved his set-up on the Kopitar goal as he drove hard to the net. It wasn't just the drive to the net but it was the decision to make it. He didn't really have much of a step but, instead of stopping and turning back towards the blueline like all of the defensemen did last season, he dropped the shoulder and created a goal. While watching Johnson and Doughty this pre-season, I see tons of confidence just oozing out of them. They want to score goals this season and appear to have the green light to go for it.

Kopitar played like a #1 center should. My friend who is a Ducks fan didn't know who Anderson was for the Avs. Anderson made some pretty big saves and my friend was really impressed. After the shootout goal, my friend says to me in all seriousness: "But he's still a new goalie though, right?" It was a very nice move. He's also getting involved physically and, most importantly, driving the net.

This may be due to Ryan Smyth. These guys didn't drive the net at all last season and now everyone, and I mean everyone, is going straight towards the net. Smyth looked great last night and is just a very talented hockey player. This is the big difference I see between this year's squad and the previous crap: there is no denying that there is more pure hockey skill out there for the Kings. Does anyone remember any really good goals that the Kings scored off the rush last season? It seemed they never really scored off the rush but rather on deflections/rebounds. The games I have seen in the pre-season are of a team that is better in transition and simply more talented than we've seen in awhile.

Scuderi is very good positionally and good with the poke-check. The defense is better than last season in my opinion due to Scuderi and the emergence of Johnson. It's still just pre-season though.

I was able to get back to my room in the first tower of The Signature during the first intermission, refill my large cup of Jameson and some other things and make it back in time to see Simmonds put the best punch I have seen a King land in years. You'd probably have to go back to Norton vs. Sawyer for a King to win with such devastation. I also met Diehard which was cool. Good guy and one of my favorite reads on the boards so it was great to put a face with a name. I'll definitely stop by your section at some games this season.

Bad:
Stoll was atrocious but to be expected since he's behind everyone right now due to missing all of the pre-season basically.

Quick was average which was a little but of a bummer.

I love Matt Greene but this was a subpar game for him. A few fumbles at the blueline and a tough holding call late in the 3rd.

Lewis was unimpressive for me personally and I thought he looked great during his stint last season. He did not look as good as he did then.

Clune getting hurt really pissed me off. I want this guy on the roster opening night and now that may not be an option. He skated right up behind Koci immediately following the fight, like the linesmen just grabbed both of them. Clune starts jawing right in his ear and Kendricks came over and it looked like they may fight. He was definitely going to get into a fight so it was a bummer he went out, especially since it was on a real nice play where he created a scoring chance by skating right around a guy on the outside.

I'm bummed I didn't meet everyone else but I was so rockin' that I didn't really have any concept of time or what I should be doing at that point...I basically just followed my friends. I'll have to try again next year.

Also, the drive back was a nightmare. Listend to all of Animals and Dark Side of the Moon and could still see Vegas in my rear-view mirror. Utterly disgusting, especially when you settled for 2 hours of sleep the night before. Fun weekend though and the game, as usual, was so much fun. This game has more intensity in the crowd than you've probably seen at Staples since the playoffs. The players feed off of it and really go at it.
Well said. And Norton vs. Sawyer is EXACTLY what I was thinking when Simmer dropped that guy, and initially felt bad...then when I realized it was just tears of blood and not a career-ender, I stopped being sympathetic

Clune IS frustrating. Please stay healthy thanks.

And yes, I always thought the 'vet presence' was overblown, but Smyth and Scuderi are WONDERFUL teammates. They're constantly communicating with the kids and setting an example. I love it.

Old
09-28-2009, 07:47 AM
BringTheReign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? View Post
Our third line is going to rack up the points this year. Frolov-Handzus-Simmons is a line that can do it all. They're all big enough to shut down the likes of Thornton and Getzlaf, have a sniper in Frolov, all have great puck protection, and banger and fighter in Simmonds. A very good line choice by TMurray. Hell, I would'nt mind if they were our 2nd line.

Old
09-28-2009, 08:15 AM
KingsRule

Send a message via AIM to KingsRule
FF was awesome again this year! Especially the Margaritas. A double shot of cazadores mixed with some Capn morgan some guy had outside during intermission was the topper haha!

Old
09-28-2009, 05:35 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsRule View Post
FF was awesome again this year! Especially the Margaritas. A double shot of cazadores mixed with some Capn morgan some guy had outside during intermission was the topper haha!
As good a post as any to end the thread with. Glad to hear a good time was had by all.

- T

The Los Angeles Kings - 2012 Stanley Cup Champions
Closed Thread