HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Columbus at Boston | Game is on TV | 9/26 7 EDT

Old
09-27-2009, 07:43 AM
hashmarks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
My PC crashed and I got you on the up swing, even tough I chose no. Whatever, I like Hitch but I'm not in love with the guy. I have seen as many hockey games as you and probably played more... But that aside, you know as well as I the pre lockout game of hulking defenseman and checking into the wall for no reason is history.

The current Jackets are on the right path with Howson, and Hitch is a great coach if he can adjust to the new world...can we leave it at that? Oh ya, you better come through with your prediction that Hitch gets 100 points every regular season as you said three years ago...
Hitch has already proven to anyone who cares to notice that he has no problem with the 'new' NHL. I am not sure why you would even bother to bring up such irrelevant material.

Provide link for prediction please, although I am sure it is likely yet another misinterpreted piece of information.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 10:56 AM
Wolfy

Jackets impressed me last night in Boston, even without many of the top players. Hopefully more physical players make the team, will help a lot. Boll lost as usual..

I think the Jackets can go far this season, with so many skillful players, looking very good

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 11:01 AM
Kutter

No question that a player like Boll is an important ingredient to have in the mix on the fourth line. The issue now is that there are a number of players who can potentially fill the roll as a gritty, hard nose player that can still put the occasional puck in the net - Dorsett, Blunden, Murray, and Picard are just a few with more waiting in the wings.

When Boll broke into the league a couple seasons back he absolutely turned heads in the preseason, running several players out of the rink. He continued that play into the regular season and won most of his fights that year. I remember one particular fight where he was screaming in the hallway after that the other guy just got beat by a "Rookie!". Last year he seemed to lose a lot of that edge, both in terms of his fights, but more importantly in his overall play. He doesn't seem to be landing the big hit as often, although his total number of hits were actually up at 153 last year vs 135 the year before. The fact that Hitchcock sat him during the playoffs suggests to me that his contributions, other than fighting, were not valuable enough to play in the most important games of the year.

I hope Boll is able to crank it back up again this year and become a difference maker on the ice. If he doesn't, I think his days of playing a regular NHL shift are numbered as younger, hungrier, potential more skilled individuals, fight to take his job in the lineup.

Kutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 11:05 AM
Doug19

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Jackets impressed me last night in Boston, even without many of the top players. Hopefully more physical players make the team, will help a lot. Boll lost as usual..

I think the Jackets can go far this season, with so many skillful players, looking very good
Thank god he doesn't lose as many as OKT.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Wolfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRiffle View Post
Thank god he doesn't lose as many as OKT.
We'll see about that when you come to Philly in January

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 01:19 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
We'll see about that when you come to Philly in January
Even odds at OKT being injured or in the press box by then.

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 02:44 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutter View Post
No question that a player like Boll is an important ingredient to have in the mix on the fourth line. The issue now is that there are a number of players who can potentially fill the roll as a gritty, hard nose player that can still put the occasional puck in the net - Dorsett, Blunden, Murray, and Picard are just a few with more waiting in the wings.

When Boll broke into the league a couple seasons back he absolutely turned heads in the preseason, running several players out of the rink. He continued that play into the regular season and won most of his fights that year. I remember one particular fight where he was screaming in the hallway after that the other guy just got beat by a "Rookie!". Last year he seemed to lose a lot of that edge, both in terms of his fights, but more importantly in his overall play. He doesn't seem to be landing the big hit as often, although his total number of hits were actually up at 153 last year vs 135 the year before. The fact that Hitchcock sat him during the playoffs suggests to me that his contributions, other than fighting, were not valuable enough to play in the most important games of the year.

I hope Boll is able to crank it back up again this year and become a difference maker on the ice. If he doesn't, I think his days of playing a regular NHL shift are numbered as younger, hungrier, potential more skilled individuals, fight to take his job in the lineup.
I hope Boll does find his game as well, and I have been kind of 'off' Boll lately because his play does not seem to be progressing, nor is it even what it used to be. I have already stated that I believe there are guys who have shown more at camp than I have seen in Boll--Sestito, Blunden and Picard to name a few, but it doesn't mean that Boll does 'nothing' or have no impact in the game (I know you understand what his role is, but others seem to think he is useless).

If not Boll, then we need toughness and size from somewhere else. These guys have value.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 04:42 PM
CBJCougar

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but how much do you want out of the regular guys during preseason? What is the point of putting it all out on the line, risking injury before the clock starts ticking in the real season? I understand the guys auditioning for the team standing on their heads. They need to. We've got 82 games that count. These preseason exhibitions, as entertaining as they are and as hungry as we are for hockey, do not count.

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 06:33 PM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
I don't know, maybe it's just me, but how much do you want out of the regular guys during preseason? What is the point of putting it all out on the line, risking injury before the clock starts ticking in the real season? I understand the guys auditioning for the team standing on their heads. They need to. We've got 82 games that count. These preseason exhibitions, as entertaining as they are and as hungry as we are for hockey, do not count.
I could maybe accept that reason for some of the skilled players who are basically guaranteed a roster spot, even though it would set a bad example. But a guy like Boll is always competing for a spot on the roster. He can't afford to sit back in the preseason.

But people that look at the last preseason game as evidence the real team can't help but look spectacular in the regular season should definitely take a cautionary step back, as you can't compare a team filled with players fighting for a roster position to a team filled with players guaranteed to make the roster. The latter will have to find its own source of motivation, and no, the desire to win isn't always enough.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 06:35 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
Spot on there Cougar. Boll has been relaxed this preseason, not lazy, but he's confident he's got a spot on that 4th line. Porty claims Dorsett and Boll are locks on the 4th line...with Murray centering? I like that energy line.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 07:52 PM
Casework

I really don't see any reason Boll should be confident that he has a spot locked down.

The biggest question all camp long is how the bottom 6 is going to shake out. I can name more than six players I would put ahead of Boll solely based on camp performance. (Pahlsson, Torres, Picard, Blunden, Calvert, Dorsett, Murray) That's also not taking into account Filatov who you need to find a spot for. Or Chimera who could be back soon. After that, there's Modin to consider.

I don't want to pile on Boll, he certainly brings something to this team. I'm just to the point that when we have better options that contribute more overall, why wouldn't you play them instead? I think this team is getting to that point and that's where you're going to see guys like Boll and Chimera eventually pushed out.

Renion's got a great post. Agree completely.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote