HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Girardi's been Blueshirt bust

Old
09-28-2009, 06:00 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Girardi's been Blueshirt bust

Quote:
The Blueshirts were sure enough about Girardi and of his disproportionate importance to their thin blue line that they refused to engage in talks with the Bruins about Phil Kessel so long as Boston insisted that the defenseman be included in any deal for their Group II winger, since shipped to Toronto for high draft picks.

Now, though, the question about Girardi is whether he will deign to show up for the regular season that opens Friday in Pittsburgh after floating through camp as if he were a decorated 15-year veteran working at his own pace to get ready.
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...GsJLPucEpTmtkK

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 06:07 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
The Blueshirts were sure enough about Girardi and of his disproportionate importance to their thin blue line that they refused to engage in talks with the Bruins about Phil Kessel so long as Boston insisted that the defenseman be included in any deal for their Group II winger, since shipped to Toronto for high draft picks.
Please, don't tell me this. The ONLY explanation would be that they felt they needed his experience for this year. Girardi is just not someone you withhold from a deal, especially for someone like Kessel.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 06:42 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Please, don't tell me this. The ONLY explanation would be that they felt they needed his experience for this year. Girardi is just not someone you withhold from a deal, especially for someone like Kessel.
It gets tricky when we have to move another 4m of capspace too...

...which basically means Rozi would have to be traded to a 3rd party.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 06:53 AM
Levitate

yeah this seems like Brooks is only telling part of the story

Girardi hasn't looked good, and Tortorella isn't happen about it, but the timing on this story is a bit too convenient if you ask me

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 08:28 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
I don't know how much stock I put into the Kessel bit.

Either way, Girardi needs to step it up. I've been saying for quite awhile that the guy isn't nearly as good as much of this board seems to think. I see people constantly putting him on our top pair and I shudder.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 08:32 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
I miss Tyutin

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 08:47 AM
eco's bones

As the story says neither Girardi or Rozsival have looked good. Semenov started off fairly well but his last few games has not been good either.

Girardi has always been a tad bit on the slow side and it might be that he has problems with his gap control when the team is pushing everything forward--especially when the Rangers are playing teams like Detroit and Washington who can counter very quickly.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 08:54 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Girardi needs to go. I've been saying this for almost a full year now.

Join the bandwagon, guys.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 08:56 AM
pld459666

He's been having a bad camp....He must be a bust.

I don't get the logic. He's having a rough go at playing in Torts system. It's not the end of the world. Not everyone is going get off to a flying start.

I think that Danny Boy is going to be fine.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 09:02 AM
Levitate

He had a rough go of it in Renney's system last year and the year before as well.

He'll have his good spurts of play, but he's been coasting on the merits of his 25 game or so "rookie" year where he played very solid. Since then, he's been very up and down.

He needs to settle down and decide what kind of defenseman he wants to be. Preferably a stay back, defensive defenseman, because he gets burnt a lot when he tries to step up. He also really needs to work more on handling guys who go wide on him with speed. His pivoting isn't that great

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 09:04 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

I don't get the logic. He's having a rough go at playing in Torts system. It's not the end of the world. Not everyone is going get off to a flying start.

It's not that...I've just never been that high on him. Obviously his struggles this camp don't help but my feelings are rooted in something far deeper.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 09:08 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

I hope and expect yourself and other to apply the same fair minded logic to Rozsival.
Posted via Mobile Device

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 09:09 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Girardi hasn't JUST been bad in this camp. It's been the last full year year. He's sucked since January 2009. He's going to continue to suck even more in Torts system where he's completely exposed as the average player he is. Move him now while he has any semblance of value.

Old
09-28-2009, 09:11 AM
eco's bones

A personal opinion. I've always liked him but I'm not sure he's the two way defenseman that some of the Rangers brass seem to think. This training camp he seems to have coasted a bit in his own end. Rozsival as well.

Redden has stepped up--no way he's worth his contract but he's been making smart decisive plays--though still not very physical or offensively productive--his head is at least in the game.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 09:23 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Girardi needs to be a stay at homer. Nothing more. It's the only role he's ever been effective in.

Stop dicking around, Dan.

Old
09-28-2009, 09:38 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Girardi needs to be a stay at homer. Nothing more. It's the only role he's ever been effective in.

Stop dicking around, Dan.
The thing is, I think torts expects all his defenseman to have at least some capability on the offensive. As a pure stay at homer, I dont think Girardi is physical enough.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 09:57 AM
Slick Rick 61

Quote:
Girardi needs to go. I've been saying this for almost a full year now.

Join the bandwagon, guys.
Absolutely. I remember right after the season I posted in one of the Redden threads that Girardi hurt his game and got absolutely ripped for it. He's ridiculously overrated by this fanbase. He tries to be an offensive defenseman, but his decision making is poor and handicaps his partner (just like it did Redden last year). He does have a good shot from the point that gets through traffic (Joe brought this up two years ago almost every single game), but now the team has more offensively skilled defenseman, and defensemen who suit Tortorella's system better.

Slick Rick 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 09:59 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
I hope and expect yourself and other to apply the same fair minded logic to Rozsival.
Posted via Mobile Device
C'mon Stein. You know that the absurd knee-jerk reactions are reserved for non-homegrown veterans with inflated contracts. Nevermind the fact that Rozy came into his own as a Ranger..and that out of all our big contracts, his is pretty much the closest to market value (not including Lundqvist). A little objectivity is WAY too much to ask for.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 10:02 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Larry just heated up some small potatoes, anyone want some? Not me....

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 10:03 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Girardi hasn't JUST been bad in this camp. It's been the last full year year. He's sucked since January 2009. He's going to continue to suck even more in Torts system where he's completely exposed as the average player he is. Move him now while he has any semblance of value.
bingo.

you nailed it there.

this attacking, skating torts system isnt the renney system. girardi was comfortable in that system. now, not so much.

just as blair betts was the poster boy for the renney system, girardi fit well into that style of play. girardis skating is just average and his play beyond the blue line is just so-so. hes being exposed now for being just that. so-so.

guys like gilroy and del zotto havent become our "best" dmen by chance. they both skate very well and their play with the puck is excellent. even redden has stepped it up with his skating and passing. guys who can play "uptempo" have looked the best. it isnt a coincidence.

guys like blowzsitall and girardi and even staal last night, look slow and indecisive.

perhaps it will take them longer to get used to this new system? not sure if its that or they just cant keep up.

however, moving these guys will be tougher now so we may have to make due until teams get a feel for their rosters.

all of a sudden if im sauer or sangs, im thinking to myself... first off, how was i cut for these clowns and second, i may get my chance sooner rather than later.

could/would torts ever send one of these over paid dmen to hartford?

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 10:08 AM
Vitto79

holy crap relax. Girardi will be fine, he's a back end Dman, 4,5,6..........as the young kids develop he is likely moved

A Package of Girardi , Sanguinetti could get a real good PP QB

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 10:10 AM
jniklast

He wasn't even drafted, so calling him a bust is a bit much

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 10:11 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
bingo.

you nailed it there.

this attacking, skating torts system isnt the renney system. girardi was comfortable in that system. now, not so much.
The part that is the most concerning is that after a quick start, Girardi began looking lost even before Torts came aboard...and thats an awfully tough thing to do in the defensive system Renney was forced to adopt. I mean, for the better part of Renney's tenure, we've had some truly awful 4-5-6 guys on the backline. A team-wide approach to defense can make defensemen look better than they actually are.

Lets face it. Torts' system is almost designed to make defensemen look bad. It may in fact make this particular group look very bad this season

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 10:13 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Girardi has a fairly big body and he happens to hit more than any other defenseman on the team (since playoffs 08 when Tyutin disappeared Girardi has consistently been #1, he was #2 during the season & tied for #1 during 07 playoffs). He should try to put on about another 10 to 20 pounds and become a physical stay at home defenseman. That'd be his best role.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 10:18 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
The part that is the most concerning is that after a quick start, Girardi began looking lost even before Torts came aboard...and thats an awfully tough thing to do in the defensive system Renney was forced to adopt. I mean, for the better part of Renney's tenure, we've had some truly awful 4-5-6 guys on the backline. A team-wide approach to defense can make defensemen look better than they actually are.

Lets face it. Torts' system is almost designed to make defensemen look bad. It may in fact make this particular group look very bad this season
naw. dont agree.

it isnt designed to make them look bad. its a system where the d takes chances, pinches, takes the puck deep. all that is fine if you have the wheels to get back and the forwards fill the holes.

the d doesnt have to look bad if they know someone has their back and they actually do something when they push the puck up ice other than turn it over.

i say go for it. let em join or even lead the rush. let them create. problem is, if you dont have the horses, then thats going to be a disaster and i think torts and co. are seeing that they may lack the guys who cant play his system and thats going to lead to problems more than the system itself.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote