HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Girardi's been Blueshirt bust

Old
09-28-2009, 09:30 AM
DontStepanMe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I don't know how much stock I put into the Kessel bit.

Either way, Girardi needs to step it up. I've been saying for quite awhile that the guy isn't nearly as good as much of this board seems to think. I see people constantly putting him on our top pair and I shudder.
you and me both... I have been saying for well over a year now about how Girardi is our most overrated player. His one on one defensive skills have always been abysmal, and he really doesn't do anything above average.

He plays his best, when he has to do the least. When he has to be creative, or make a good pass, or stickhandle he will always get burned. He is a player that who has a good mind for the game, but does not have the skills to play that way.

I always thought that he held down Tyutin (which is completely obvious now), and that he was our worst dman last year as well. (Yes worse than redden).

the reason he was "so good" his first year was because he was playing on the bottom pairing, thus limiting his exposure to the better players of the league. he is no better than a 5-6 guy, and will not get any better.

and truth be told, I think he is stunting the growth of Staal's offense as well, as Staal has to concentrate on defense more to cover up the many gaffes of Girardi, just like Tyutin had to as well 2 years ago.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 09:32 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I have to agree with brooks on Girardi coasting it through camp. He really did seem invisible, I hardly noticed him. And its not because i was paying more attention to MDZ, Gilroy, and Sangs because I noticed Staal still, and how Redden did a good job defensively. Wasnt impressed with girardi.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 09:52 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

New pairings now that we all know he sucks

Top four: Staal, Gilroy, Redden, Del Zotto
Bottom two: Girardi, Rozsival

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 10:07 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
naw. dont agree.

it isnt designed to make them look bad. its a system where the d takes chances, pinches, takes the puck deep. all that is fine if you have the wheels to get back and the forwards fill the holes.

the d doesnt have to look bad if they know someone has their back and they actually do something when they push the puck up ice other than turn it over.

i say go for it. let em join or even lead the rush. let them create. problem is, if you dont have the horses, then thats going to be a disaster and i think torts and co. are seeing that they may lack the guys who cant play his system and thats going to lead to problems more than the system itself.
Well when it comes to "not having the horses," Girardi would be the prime suspect. I know how much you hate Redden and Roszival, but they both possess a bit of playmaking ability. Staal may be best suited in a stay-at-home role right now, but he does show a bit of promise on the offensive end. Gilroy and Del Zotto? They are getting looks strictly because of their offense, especially Gilroy. Where does that leave Girardi? I think the best role for him is that 1 true stay at home defenseman, that will be there to cover the mistakes that will surely come from the rest of the D corp pushing the puck up the ice. Trouble is, I dont know if hes THAT good defensively for this to be his role.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 10:15 AM
SomebodySaveKreider

I always get entertained when Girardi takes a shot.

"Girardi shoots....blocked....Giardi Shoots again!....doesn't get through....ANOTHER TIME and its deflected wide"

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 11:12 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Every year there's that defenseman who draws unruly hate on this board. I guess we've grown tired of beating the Redden and Rozsival horse and have recognized we're stuck with them for, at least, the near future and it's now time to move onto another target.

Girardi is no all-star or even close, he is a capable rear guard. His foot speed is his greatest flaw though there are lots of defenders in this league who are just as slow. As with Staal, Girardi needs to focus on bringing a bit more edge to his game in his own end. As with Rozsival, he needs to make better use of his shot. As with Redden, he needs to work on his skating. The blueline on this team may have a bright future, but the current squad has big gaps 1 to 7. For a defensive defenseman Girardi is just fine.

Girardi is a victim of his own success. Sometimes he goes on spurts where he plays really well and gets noticed a lot. Then he goes quiet for a while playing and just plays a respectable defensive game. Because he's no longer getting noticed as he once did, he's now terrible...maybe he should have always just stayed playing a decent defensive game.

I fear the day when it's decided to turn on guys like Gilroy, Sanguinetti, and MDZ.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 11:30 AM
eco's bones

Again he's not had a great camp but this is a bit of doggy piling.

Girardi's played in 5 pre-season games. A 2-1 loss to Boston (both Bruin goals on the pwp), a 5-2 win over Boston, a 4-2 win over Detroit, a 3-2 win over Washington and Sunday afternoon's 4-3 loss to Washington. All top notch teams--some very quick skating teams--we won 3 lost 2--gave up 12 goals in the 5 games. So it's not been like he or anyone else on the D have been making mistake after mistake. If were going to combine accomplishment with remuneration--for the amount of money Girardi is making he is very acceptable.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 11:38 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Again he's not had a great camp but this is a bit of doggy piling.

Girardi's played in 5 pre-season games. A 2-1 loss to Boston (both Bruin goals on the pwp), a 5-2 win over Boston, a 4-2 win over Detroit, a 3-2 win over Washington and Sunday afternoon's 4-3 loss to Washington. All top notch teams--some very quick skating teams--we won 3 lost 2--gave up 12 goals in the 5 games. So it's not been like he or anyone else on the D have been making mistake after mistake. If were going to combine accomplishment with remuneration--for the amount of money Girardi is making he is very acceptable.
The thing is, it's not just this. It's the end of basically every season he's played so far. He gives around 40 solid games and 40 horrible games.

Since this is starting at the begining of the year, it is even more of a bad sign. Usually, his bad spells came after the mid point.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 11:57 AM
BwayBshirt

Girardi is showing the same struggles that Tyutin showed just before he was traded.

It was prolonged with him and it is prolonged with Girardi.

Whether it be with Renney or with Tortorella, the fact is he's been hugely inconsistent for a good while now.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 11:59 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWayBShirt View Post
Girardi is showing the same struggles that Tyutin showed just before he was traded.

It was prolonged with him and it is prolonged with Girardi.

Whether it be with Renney or with Tortorella, the fact is he's been hugely inconsistent for a good while now.
Tyutin had struggles but they never lasted a whole half a season and his lows weren't as big of a gap from his highs as Girardi has been. And Tyutin's highs were above Girardi's.

Old
09-28-2009, 12:07 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

I smell a trade for a defenseman coming.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 12:08 PM
AXN

Preseason is still only presason and regular season is what counts. Maybe Gilroy will move ahead of him and he will play with Semenov. If they ever sign Semenov.

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 12:21 PM
DutchShamrock

I'm not going to get into the crap throwing contest about who sucks more than who. I just wanted to mention something I remembered today.

Tortorella likes to manipulate players in different ways. Some guys he calls out in the media, some guys he blasts behind closed doors, and some he may nuture along the way. I think he really likes Girardi and is genuinely hurt that he didn't come ready to play especially after the major vote of confidence at the end of last year and coming into camp. I also think it's a good that Torts is calling him out publically, it shows that he thinks Girardi is mentally strong enough to handle that and will respond positively to the admonishment.

On the other hand, he is hardly calling out Roszival despite a horrid camp as well, and an equally bad game yesterday. I think he's showing that Roszival needs to be coddled (something Renney did as well) and that he's not mentally tough enough to handle the lashings.

I'm interested to see how our D responds to a week of practice before the season starts.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 12:29 PM
DutchShamrock

I wonder how much of the Girardi hate stems from the fact that he doesn't make fantastic plays, because I always saw his game as a very basic and simple style. Get the job done. I think he gets into trouble when he tries to do too much, tries to carry the play. Too me though, it's not a knock. He knows his limitations and when he's on he is usually playing within his abilities. I do agree that he is out of place on the top lines but that isn't his fault that we lack the proper depth chart.

I see him at his most successful as the 3rd pair guy. He has to limit his game to playing just his man, cutting down that guy's options then retrieving the puck. Once he has the puck he has to outlet it immediately, preferably off the glass or boards as I feel he has a nice touch in those areas. In all honesty, I see nothing wrong with that. In fact, we need guys like that... very steady with small ups and downs (which he is when he simplifies).

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 01:21 PM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Mara, Mara where are thou?

What is the list of the unsigned D freeagents?

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 01:38 PM
pwoz

As much as I appreciate Girardi's heart, there's a reason he was never drafted.

I'm a fan of the Rangers, and will support ANY MOVE to improve the team.... starting with dumping R&R.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 01:44 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i think its WAY too early to want to crucify the kid...but he has been bad this preseason, and i still think Sauer is a better defensive defenseman than he is...and with so many offensive defenseman projected to be on the Roster, you need to augment them with steady, stay at home guys.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 02:21 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i think its WAY too early to want to crucify the kid...but he has been bad this preseason, and i still think Sauer is a better defensive defenseman than he is...and with so many offensive defenseman projected to be on the Roster, you need to augment them with steady, stay at home guys.
Why? The last three late season collapses of his play coupled with this pre-season aren't enough?

How long do we have to wait?

Old
09-28-2009, 02:24 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Why? The last three late season collapses of his play coupled with this pre-season aren't enough?

How long do we have to wait?
i dont agree with your assessment of his play the past few years. The grass is always greener on the other side, until you actually get there and realize no grass is perfect.

I think hes been fine. Not amazing, but certainly a player worth keeping on your roster for a cap hit of only 1.55 Mil.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 02:37 PM
94now

I think it is a total BS from start to finish.

I said that before and will say it again: the wichhunt on Renney's players continues. Torts says no bad about new aquisitions. No word about Kotalik being dismal, no mentioning of Higgins being not ready or Boyle being MIA.

Leave Girardi alone. We do not have any one better IN WHAT HE DOES besides Staal.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 02:40 PM
ReggieDunlop68
Hey Hanrahan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
As much as I appreciate Girardi's heart, there's a reason he was never drafted.

I'm a fan of the Rangers, and will support ANY MOVE to improve the team.... starting with dumping R&R.
For whom? Please don't say anyone.

ReggieDunlop68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 02:41 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I think it is a total BS from start to finish.

I said that before and will say it again: the wichhunt on Renney's players continues. Torts says no bad about new aquisitions. No word about Kotalik being dismal, no mentioning of Higgins being not ready or Boyle being MIA.

Leave Girardi alone. We do not have any one better IN WHAT HE DOES besides Staal.
I'd wager money that a full season of Mike Sauer would give us better defensive play than a full season of Dan Girardi. Unfortunately, with Tortorella running the show, we'll probably never know!

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 02:42 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i dont agree with your assessment of his play the past few years. The grass is always greener on the other side, until you actually get there and realize no grass is perfect.

I think hes been fine. Not amazing, but certainly a player worth keeping on your roster for a cap hit of only 1.55 Mil.
You don't agree that he's had massive drops off in play in the 2nd half of each year, basically?

Old
09-28-2009, 02:45 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I'd wager money that a full season of Mike Sauer would give us better defensive play than a full season of Dan Girardi. Unfortunately, with Tortorella running the show, we'll probably never know!
In a few years may be. This season we have to patch holes on defence, not to have fantazies about rookies making huge impact out of the blue. We can't afford two rookie Ds, let alone three.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 02:46 PM
OverTheCap

Larry Brooks is only confirming what some of us have known for awhile.

In 2007, I was pleasantly surprised by Girardi, he was steady, poised, and rarely made mistakes. Now he is a shell of his former self and I think that his solid play when he first came up may have been an aberration.

I've never questioned Girardi's work ethic, though, and now even that is being questioned by Brooks. I see words like "indifferent" and "floating" to describe Girardi and that is very disappointing to hear. Granted, Brooks is probably being a bit sensationalistic, but Torts also sounds discouraged with Girardi's effort as well.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote