HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ESPN Power Rankings... Flyers at #3

Old
09-28-2009, 02:54 PM
Kaktus*

vCash: 500
ESPN Power Rankings... Flyers at #3

I am just bored...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/powerranking

This is a good, big, deep, hungry team. All eyes are on goalie Ray Emery now.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 03:14 PM
mercury

Love the comments.

"3. Pittsburgh - As long as Sid's injury is minor. Who knew Crosby had a groin to pull anyway?"

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 03:17 PM
Orange and Black

As much as I hate the Devils, haven't these "experts" learned anything over the past 15 years? The Debs at 24 is a joke with the Kings and Panthers(?!?) rated significantly higher.

Orange and Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 03:19 PM
IrishSniper87

Cool and all, but no one has a single game played, these are meaningless.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 03:48 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange and Black View Post
As much as I hate the Devils, haven't these "experts" learned anything over the past 15 years? The Debs at 24 is a joke with the Kings and Panthers(?!?) rated significantly higher.
One day it will all crash down.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 03:50 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Haha wow they actually did put the Devs at 24, I thought that was a joke.

Considering that the apparent 24th ranked team outplayed us in both preseason games, that doesn't make me thrilled then.

I could actually see the Devils being pretty good for a season or so before their players revolt against Lemaire.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 04:24 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Haha wow they actually did put the Devs at 24, I thought that was a joke.

Considering that the apparent 24th ranked team outplayed us in both preseason games, that doesn't make me thrilled then.

I could actually see the Devils being pretty good for a season or so before their players revolt against Lemaire.
They're pre-season game. We won the first one and we only lost the second one because of Boucher.

Besides, they're weaker this year. An aging Brodeur and Elias (the latter of which is out for a while due to injury) and the losses of Rupp, Holik, and Gionta make their team marginally weaker this year I think. I'm confident that we'll fare well against them this year.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 04:36 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
I won't pick against the Devils to miss the playoffs until they miss the playoffs. Reason, analysis, projections, injuries...doesn't matter. They find a way.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 04:37 PM
Dash22

Any team that has Marty in net should by default be ranked no worse than 16th.

Dash22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 05:37 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
i think the rankings are pretty solid except for the lightning at number 10 and the devils at 24. maybe switch them around and we have a good set of rankings. the lightning could surprise but i wouldn't have them at 10 until they prove things.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 05:57 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash22 View Post
Every season it is the same thing about the Devils. Sure, in the playoffs they have been horrific lately but they'll find a way to get there.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 08:41 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
They're pre-season game. We won the first one and we only lost the second one because of Boucher.

Besides, they're weaker this year. An aging Brodeur and Elias (the latter of which is out for a while due to injury) and the losses of Rupp, Holik, and Gionta make their team marginally weaker this year I think. I'm confident that we'll fare well against them this year.
Can't let this pass without comment:

1) Brodeur has played NOTHING like his age this preseason, expect another typical Marty season.

2) Elias should miss no more than ten games, that's it.

3) Holik and Rupp barely brought anything to the table last year, if anything they slowed us down on the ice.

That being said the Flyers scare the beejeepers out of me this season and are my pick to come out of the Eastern Conference.

09-28-2009, 08:45 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Losing Holik, I'd have to think would make the Devils better. Even if they were to go with one of their rookies to fill the role.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 09:01 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I won't pick against the Devils to miss the playoffs until they miss the playoffs. Reason, analysis, projections, injuries...doesn't matter. They find a way.
Quote:
These. I won't count them out until they're out.

BillyShoe1721 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 12:14 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
One day it will all crash down.
Quoting from the Book of Revelations, Jester?

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 12:15 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Exactly. They always do.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 12:23 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Or any acceptable goalie that plays well in a good system - like Clemmensen did lat year; because the Devils were sunk without Brodeur last year - even though he was lost for most of the season and they still managed to play well.... Must've been the spirit of Marty making Clemmensen play so well (or perhaps a good defensive system, but let's not consider something like that....)

Sorry, not railing against you so much as much as I rail against the myth of Marty's invincibility and the belief that the Devils are comprised of Brodeur and an ECHL team in front of him. Do I think Brodeur is good, yes. I would choose him over almost any goalie in the league right now even at his age and recent performances! But the notion that the Devils cannot win without him was disproven last year by a mediocre Scott Clemmensen whose numbers were similar to Marty's. In fact, one could argue the Devils lost last year in the playoffs BECAUSE of Brodeur's gaffs in the last 2 minutes vs. Carolina.

Every year it's "Well you can't discount the Devils with Brodeur!" How about "You can't discount the Devils who play a good defensive system, along with a goalie who has proven he can excel in that system."

Old
09-29-2009, 12:27 PM
Jester

Before I begin, I will note that I think putting the Devs that far down is a bit silly. However, I will not be shocked in the slightest if the Devs miss the playoffs this year. They've been living on smoke-and-mirrors as far as talent the last few years, and eventually that catches up with you. That being said, they will be well coached and should have solid goaltending. You'll have to be ready to play when you face them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Bass View Post
Can't let this pass without comment:

1) Brodeur has played NOTHING like his age this preseason, expect another typical Marty season.
Yes, because the preseason when everyone is fresh is when you expect to see age showing. While I think Marty will be good this year, how he has played in the preseason is in no way indicative of whether his age is going to catch up with him in an 82 game schedule.

Quote:
2) Elias should miss no more than ten games, that's it.
Yeah, that's what we thought with Briere. Veteran players do have an excellent track record of quick groin recoveries. Not to mention, 10 games is 10% of the season, I think that constitutes a "while." If I was a Devs fan looking at the Elias situation, I would be rather alarmed given the general lack of scoring depth.

Quote:
3) Holik and Rupp barely brought anything to the table last year, if anything they slowed us down on the ice.
Injuries and whatnot marginalized the role Holik could play considerably since he left the Devs the first time around, but he remained a rather good situational player. A guy drawing 60% on FOs is a HUGE weapon to be able to put in there on a "must win" draw.

What's shocking is the poster didn't mention the loss of Madden.

Quote:
That being said the Flyers scare the beejeepers out of me this season and are my pick to come out of the Eastern Conference.
On paper...sure. Until our team displays the ability to play as a team, I can't see us having consistent success against good teams.

Old
09-29-2009, 12:29 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

I'll take an aging Marty over the pap we've thrown into net over the last... 8 seasons.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 01:02 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I'll believe it when I see it.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 01:47 PM
Dash22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
Every year it's "Well you can't discount the Devils with Brodeur!" How about "You can't discount the Devils who play a good defensive system, along with a goalie who has proven he can excel in that system."
I stand by my statement. I don't care if it's the Devils, If Marty moved to any team in the league, I would still rank that team no lower than 16th, regardless of system or players in place.

Dash22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 02:00 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
I stand by my statement. I don't care if it's the Devils, If Marty moved to any team in the league, I would still rank that team no lower than 16th, regardless of system or players in place.
This. I think Marty has proven over the years that he is the definition of elite goaltending in the NHL and I don't understand how any can think he's a non-factor when determining where a team ranks. ESPN should stick to covering the Red Sox and Yankees, because God knows they can't cover anything else worth a lick.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 02:36 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
I agree he is a top notch goalie, like I said, I would take him over all but maybe 3 or 4goalies at his age now! But I think goalies are overrated in hockey. Look at Marc Andre Fleury - is he the reason the Pens won the Cup last year? I think you could take 10-15 other goalies and put them on that team last year and they'd win. Likewise with Osgood. You could replace him with 10 other goalies and they'd have won in 2007.

Even Ken Holland himself says he won't spend much on a goalie because it is more important to have players in front of him. How many of the last 10 Flyers' playoff series were lost by a goalie? Yet every year, all the talk is how the Flyers need a goalie to win them the Cup. I believe firmly that you don't need a goalie to win you the Cup as much as you need a goalie to prevent you from losing. How many of the Devils' playoff series were won by Brodeur? Now, don't get me wring, he is a vital part of that team. But he is not the sole reason thy won Cups. If you had removed Stevens from those teams or Niedermayer, they would not have won.

Now, I would take Brodeur over every Flyer goalie since Parent. But he would not have caused the Flyers to win the Cup in any of the past 10 years.

Old
09-29-2009, 02:39 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
This. I think Marty has proven over the years that he is the definition of elite goaltending in the NHL and I don't understand how any can think he's a non-factor when determining where a team ranks. ESPN should stick to covering the Red Sox and Yankees, because God knows they can't cover anything else worth a lick.
The stupidity of ranking them at 24th is that they ignore Lemaire. Lemaire could take a bunch of cones and make them competitive - think how good he can make the Devils play with Elias and Parise.

Old
09-29-2009, 02:56 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
I agree he is a top notch goalie, like I said, I would take him over all but maybe 3 or 4goalies at his age now! But I think goalies are overrated in hockey. Look at Marc Andre Fleury - is he the reason the Pens won the Cup last year? I think you could take 10-15 other goalies and put them on that team last year and they'd win. Likewise with Osgood. You could replace him with 10 other goalies and they'd have won in 2007.

Even Ken Holland himself says he won't spend much on a goalie because it is more important to have players in front of him. How many of the last 10 Flyers' playoff series were lost by a goalie? Yet every year, all the talk is how the Flyers need a goalie to win them the Cup. I believe firmly that you don't need a goalie to win you the Cup as much as you need a goalie to prevent you from losing. How many of the Devils' playoff series were won by Brodeur? Now, don't get me wring, he is a vital part of that team. But he is not the sole reason thy won Cups. If you had removed Stevens from those teams or Niedermayer, they would not have won.

Now, I would take Brodeur over every Flyer goalie since Parent. But he would not have caused the Flyers to win the Cup in any of the past 10 years.
While there is certainly some interchangeability to goaltending, you can make a real argument that MAF is the primary reason the Pens got out of the 1st round against us last year. The point would be that getting hot at the right time is key.