HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Torts: 19-year-old Del Zotto has made team

Old
09-29-2009, 01:45 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 500
9 games is pretty much all they can guarantee, if he does poorly they dont want to be stuck with him getting 0 ice time all year. MDZ it appears has 2 training camps to prove himself this year.

offda, Im going to offer up a challenge here, and see if you can post about defensemen on this team without combining Rozsival's name with a sexual act.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 01:47 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Just based on his PP work alone he's worthy of more than 9 games. Good - this puts more pressure on Rozy and Girardi to step up their games.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 01:50 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
9 games is pretty much all they can guarantee, if he does poorly they dont want to be stuck with him getting 0 ice time all year. MDZ it appears has 2 training camps to prove himself this year.
They can send him down after he plays 10 games...playing 10 or more just means his contract for this year kicks in. They aren't stuck with him for the season if they don't send him down after 9 games

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 01:53 PM
In Prust We Trust*

About time Torts!

In Prust We Trust* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 01:58 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
I'm pretty excited to see two rookie defensemen make the team.

Anyone know the last time we had two rookie dmen make the team out of camp?
While it's great, I don't look at a 25 year old as a true rookie, even if he qualifies as one.

This doesn't diminish the accomplishment, it's just different to me than 2 "kids" making it.

IF DZ and Gilroy stick, it's hard to imagine Sangs being here any time soon, if at all.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 01:58 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
They can send him down after he plays 10 games...playing 10 or more just means his contract for this year kicks in. They aren't stuck with him for the season if they don't send him down after 9 games
So it activates the 26 year old UFA deal only. okay got it, thanks for the clarification.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 02:01 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

On draft day, this is the kind of stuff you dream about. Nice work MDZ!

Once they give him a new number, there will be plenty of MDZ jerseys at The Garden. As it should be. Another Italian boy makes it big in The City.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 02:02 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
While it's great, I don't look at a 25 year old as a true rookie, even if he qualifies as one.

This doesn't diminish the accomplishment, it's just different to me than 2 "kids" making it.

IF DZ and Gilroy stick, it's hard to imagine Sangs being here any time soon, if at all.
was just gonna post that same thing.

sangs has gotta be bummed today.

then again, we still have mike blo..........um........uhhhh.... rozsival, so theres still hope sangs could be called up.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 02:05 PM
Celestial Black

Now who will be the 7th.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 02:06 PM
17futurecap

http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie

Not only has Michael Del Zotto made the NYR's opening day roster, he is running their power play.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 02:09 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy
offda, Im going to offer up a challenge here, and see if you can post about defensemen on this team without combining Rozsival's name with a sexual act.
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
was just gonna post that same thing.

sangs has gotta be bummed today.

then again, we still have mike blo..........um........uhhhh.... rozsival, so theres still hope sangs could be called up.
haha.

Anyways, back on topic...
I can see Sangs making the club next season. Puck moving offensive defenseman are a hot commodity in this league.

We could have some seriously nice lines D-pairings next season and for the future...
In no particular order...
Staal-MDZ
Girardi-Sangs
Rosie/Red-Gilroy
(Assuming we move one of Redden/Rossie)

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 02:11 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post

Not only has Michael Del Zotto made the NYR's opening day roster, he is running their power play.
wow. at 19 !! not sure if thats because hes so deserving or because the other dmen just blow so bad.

naw, hes earned it. the others havent done much but really hes been the guy with gilroy pretty much all camp.

how long before we see gilroy and mdz both on the point with kotalik, gaborik and dubi??

either way, im stoked to see what this kid can do. something tells me hes going to be really, really good on the point.

Old
09-29-2009, 02:13 PM
beastly115

Quote:

No kidding?

Maybe we'll actually have a competent PP this year. So far in pre-season, we've successfully been able to set it up and get some good shots off. Hell, we've even scored a few PP goals. I think I even see them trying to form an umbrella every now and then. Between DZ QB'ing, Kotalik's shot, and Gaborik, we should be middle of the pack now.

The more they practice it, the more they play together, the better our PP will be.

Thank goodness.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
My bad I meant 00-01.

Johnsson made the team a year before in 99-00.
Yeah you'd be a little hard pressed to find two rookie defenseman making it out of camp.

It's not as hard, but still less common, to even see two rookie defenseman play significant roles on the same team.

I remember as kid seeing Brian Leetch and Rudy Poeschek play significant roles on the same team.

But I can't remember seeing two rookie defenseman, out of camp. Especially, without having played any NHL games.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 02:26 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
haha.

Anyways, back on topic...
I can see Sangs making the club next season. Puck moving offensive defenseman are a hot commodity in this league.

We could have some seriously nice lines D-pairings next season and for the future...
In no particular order...
Staal-MDZ
Girardi-Sangs
Rosie/Red-Gilroy
(Assuming we move one of Redden/Rossie)
This is why I'm so high on our defense in the future. Let's not forget about McDonagh!

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 02:27 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

Absolutely thrilled at this news. Good for MDZ!

MrEctions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 02:29 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:

Wow, imo this is more about Tortorella sticking it to Rosy and Redden than anything. Patience is wearing thin it seems

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 02:31 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Good for him. I'm a big Sanguinetti fan and was pulling for him, but MDZ had earned it.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 02:41 PM
TheRedressor

Toots and Kondratiev made the team coming out of the 2005 training camp.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 02:43 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
Toots and Kondratiev made the team coming out of the 2005 training camp.
They were both considered rookies your right, but both had played previously in 2003-04 (Toots 25 games, Drats 7 games) Then both went to the RSL in the lockout.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 03:04 PM
Levitate

Quote:

Well, if they want him to succeed and bring some value to the team, putting him on the PP is the best way to give him that chance.

Can't stick him on the 3rd pairing and limit his minutes and expect him to impress enough. Give him some PP time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Wow, imo this is more about Tortorella sticking it to Rosy and Redden than anything. Patience is wearing thin it seems
Nah, I don't think it's about sticking it to anyone. I think it's about trying to do what's best for the team. Del Zotto, even at 19, has far better passing ability than Rozsival or Redden. The question is whether his decision making is quite up to challenge yet.

And I like Sanguinetti, but yeah if Gilroy and Del Zotto solidify their spots, I expect to see the Rangers shopping Sanguinetti pretty hard. I think Sangs will still be a pretty good NHLer, but for the Rangers I think it makes more sense to see what they can get for him, and focus on bringing in guys like McDonagh to fill the next hole

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 03:11 PM
Blueblood 2

Nice job signing Gilroy Glen. You must be grinning from ear to ear with MDZ making the team. Gaborik and McDonough and Higgins for Gomez. Quite a summer there old boy! The Cap will be a problem of the past when you can drop Redden and Rozi without blinking an eye.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 03:13 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Well, if they want him to succeed and bring some value to the team, putting him on the PP is the best way to give him that chance.

Can't stick him on the 3rd pairing and limit his minutes and expect him to impress enough. Give him some PP time

Nah, I don't think it's about sticking it to anyone. I think it's about trying to do what's best for the team. Del Zotto, even at 19, has far better passing ability than Rozsival or Redden. The question is whether his decision making is quite up to challenge yet.

And I like Sanguinetti, but yeah if Gilroy and Del Zotto solidify their spots, I expect to see the Rangers shopping Sanguinetti pretty hard. I think Sangs will still be a pretty good NHLer, but for the Rangers I think it makes more sense to see what they can get for him, and focus on bringing in guys like McDonagh to fill the next hole
yup. hes now the centerpiece to every deadline deal.

sangs and whatever forward falls out of favor first.

Old
09-29-2009, 03:14 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

Quote:

Agreed 100%. We have enough defensive depth to shop Sanguinetti hard and see what he can bring, imo.

MrEctions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 03:17 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:

This is the same Redden that has QB'ed a powerplay for years though and put up tons of points doing it. It's hard for me to say MDZ is a better passer from only having seen him in OHL games and preseason games. Redden hasn't been himself lately, but we all know he's capable of making passes from watching him all those years in Ottawa. Unfortunately, you might be right though... at this point Redden is not much of a commodity... if at all. It's worth the risk

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote