HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Torts: 19-year-old Del Zotto has made team

Old
09-29-2009, 02:21 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
I can't wait until Friday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Wow, imo this is more about Tortorella sticking it to Rosy and Redden than anything. Patience is wearing thin it seems
Nah it's about Torts being competent enough to recognize a young player's talent and having the will to take a risk and play him in important situations rather than the history of what we've seen which was play the same high priced vets no matter how much they struggle.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 02:23 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

vCash: 500
renney would never have made this kinda bold move.

if he were still coaching, del zotto would be back in juniors.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 02:23 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
This is the same Redden that has QB'ed a powerplay for years though and put up tons of points doing it. It's hard for me to say MDZ is a better passer from only having seen him in OHL games and preseason games. Redden hasn't been himself lately, but we all know he's capable of making passes from watching him all those years in Ottawa. Unfortunately, you might be right though... at this point Redden is not much of a commodity... if at all. It's worth the risk
Yeah, Redden in his prime versus a rookie Del Zotto and I'd defer to Redden. I'm not sure he has that anymore, though. And I think Del Zotto's offensive potential is a fair bit higher than Redden's, but that doesn't mean it will manifest right away.

But...taking into account recent play, Del Zotto looks like a better option. We'll see what happens when the season starts.

Also really liking the idea of getting McDonagh into the lineup...

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 02:24 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
Toots and Kondratiev made the team coming out of the 2005 training camp.
That's right - great memory.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 02:28 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

As a big MDZ backer,very happy for him. Lets see how he does.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 02:32 PM
shoothepuck
NY Raiders AMNRL

Good for him. He's the best passer of all the D-men, and a PP Qback is needed

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 02:57 PM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
renney would never have made this kinda bold move.

if he were still coaching, del zotto would be back in juniors.
what would renney need 2 offensive defensemen for?

Kovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 02:57 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

the key is, to get him back on the horse after he inevitably has a huge screwup or 2 that costs us a game or 2....kids tend to get rattled a lot quicker than vets...

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 02:58 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev27 View Post
what would renney need 2 offensive defensemen for?
fixed.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 03:08 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Good for Del Zotto. He played his way into a spot, and he certainly deserves the look.

With that said, Im highly skeptical of any teenager in the NHL (especially a defenseman), but heres hoping he can prove he belongs for an entire season.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 03:09 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
That's right - great memory.
Tyutin played games before the lockout, however.

Neither Gilroy nor Del Zotto have played any NHL games; true rookies.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 03:20 PM
SimonTemplar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutus Liber View Post
Agreed 100%. We have enough defensive depth to shop Sanguinetti hard and see what he can bring, imo.

I am glad you folks are not GM's. Trade your depth out of the AHL at deadline for what ? You have Saguinetti not making the team since he now falls behind a "wet behind the ear's kid" and your going to center peice him in any deal. What do you expect in return from your centerpiece deal......Olvechkin or Malkin....

My point is simple, why trade your depth who is still a kid learning pro hockey. Bob Saguinetti will be a fine player in two years and like some guys takes longer to reach his potential. And trading him drops more pressure on MDZ to perform at the tender age of 19 or the MSG crowd will chew you up, and spit ya out.

You don't trade assets like Sags since you just re-assigned him to minor pro or your likely to get back a similar player value in a forward who also couldn't make a pro team. Now if injuries hit and Saguinetti plays up this year posting great defensive numbers his values then climbs. But right now it's not much at all.

SimonTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 03:25 PM
segmentation fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
the key is, to get him back on the horse after he inevitably has a huge screwup or 2 that costs us a game or 2....kids tend to get rattled a lot quicker than vets...
It would help if the fans dont boo him as they do to Redden or Rozsival.

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 03:27 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTemplar View Post
I am glad you folks are not GM's. Trade your depth out of the AHL at deadline for what ? You have Saguinetti not making the team since he now falls behind a "wet behind the ear's kid" and your going to center peice him in any deal. What do you expect in return from your centerpiece deal......Olvechkin or Malkin....

My point is simple, why trade your depth who is still a kid learning pro hockey. Bob Saguinetti will be a fine player in two years and like some guys takes longer to reach his potential. And trading him drops more pressure on MDZ to perform at the tender age of 19 or the MSG crowd will chew you up, and spit ya out.

You don't trade assets like Sags since you just re-assigned him to minor pro or your likely to get back a similar player value in a forward who also couldn't make a pro team. Now if injuries hit and Saguinetti plays up this year posting great defensive numbers his values then climbs. But right now it's not much at all.
Well said.

09-29-2009, 03:28 PM
lbrowne

Very excited for Del Zotto to be in the ranks for the start of the season! Great news and congrats DZ!!

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 03:45 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTemplar View Post
I am glad you folks are not GM's. Trade your depth out of the AHL at deadline for what ? You have Saguinetti not making the team since he now falls behind a "wet behind the ear's kid"
I believe my mentions of Sanguinetti being shopped were couched in terms of "if Del Zotto and Gilroy pan out", though they're already bolstered by rumors that Sather was shopping Sanguinetti around

Quote:
and your going to center peice him in any deal. What do you expect in return from your centerpiece deal......Olvechkin or Malkin....
Who said anything about getting an absurd return?

Quote:

No, the idea is to trade him if he's clearly behind other guys on the depth chart and it doesn't look like he's going to make the team. That's not certain right now, so I wouldn't trade him right now, or even later at the deadline (unless, somehow, the return is great)

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 03:55 PM
Slick Rick 61

Makes no sense to move Sanguinetti, at least at this time. You can't trade him without seeing what McDonagh can do in a training camp/preseason, and how he develops.

Slick Rick 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 03:58 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Del Zotto, meanwhile, will have his parents in the stands among the screaming Igloo patrons on banner night Friday, and also for the Garden opener Saturday and Game 3 on Monday in Newark. The 19-year-old says he has tried to lay low a bit and hasn't spoken much with his old junior teammates in London (the Knights, who had Nazem Kadri, the No. 7 overall pick of the '09 draft to the Maple Leafs, returned to them for the season, are off to a 4-3 start in Del Zotto's absence). "I've actually tried to keep my phone off as much as possible," Del Zotto said.
Quote:
"Right now he has made the club - based on his play, he has made the club. It has nothing to do with minors or junior. He's had a good camp. Again, like I told you, we're not looking at age or anything like that; we've felt he's had a good camp. Are there going to be some bumps in the road with him? No question there will be. But right now we feel he's played well enough to be with the National Hockey League team."
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ran...os-on-let.html

Mike didn't scalp his tickets for the Penguins game?

Old
09-29-2009, 04:03 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutus Liber View Post
Agreed 100%. We have enough defensive depth to shop Sanguinetti hard and see what he can bring, imo.
Part of a package for kovalchuk at the deadline?

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 04:13 PM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

Shopping Sanguetti wouldn't make sense if we didn't have guys like Heikkinen, Potter, Sauer, McDonagh, and Kundratek. But our AHL Depth is still strong without him. Personally, I say we keep Bobby because I think he's going to be a productive pro but if we can somehow manage to package him with someone to grab a legit 1st liner, I'd pull the trigger. We have logjams in certain places and holes in others.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 04:24 PM
DutchShamrock

Well the Wings seem to be doing ok by keeping youth in the minors until they are needed. They like to keep them until they pass waiver exemption and then decide if it's time to move them or promote them. Who's to argue with those guys?

By the way, what are we trading Sanguinetti for? The forward lines are jammed, with a few more prospects in the pipeline ready to move up. The D depth is juiced. Goaltending? No need there yet.

Of course we constantly have openings but I think our needs on offense and defense will end up being the same. Girardi may be playing for his NYR future this season, we'll have another #7 spot open next year, I'd bet that one of Redden/Roszival is gone next summer. That's 3 spots and just 3 assuming our 2 youngsters make it through the year ok. That's assuming our top 7 stay healthy. Let's say we have 1 spot open next summer, would you rather promote Sanguinetti with 2 years AHL experience or McD with only his collegiate career behind him?

Me, I'd like to just sit tight and see how the future unfolds. If we have some serious need, then by all means deal from your depth. But wait until that day comes.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 04:30 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post

We could have some seriously nice lines D-pairings next season and for the future...
In no particular order...
Staal-MDZ
Girardi-Sangs
Rosie/Red-Gilroy
(Assuming we move one of Redden/Rossie)
Don't forget about Ryan McDonagh... On the depth chart he's way ahead of Sanguinetti in terms of potential/ceiling.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 04:40 PM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

A future D (2012 or so) of:

MDZ-Staal
McDonagh-Gilroy
Girardi-Sangs

Is pretty sick if you ask me. Especially when you consider that Heikkenen, Sauer, Williams, and Kundratek could end up being valuable pros. I'd say that we lose one of Rozy or Redden after this year, probably Redden if they let teams have that immunity cut, and the other the year after that.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 04:56 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
There will be a big learning curve for Del Zotto---especially on the defensive-side of his game---but there is a tremendous upside, as well. There is the chance he does not spend the entire season in the NHL because he still is eligible to play for his major junior team in London, though he will start the season as a New York Ranger, and will be evaluated closely from that day forward. The Rangers can play Del Zotto in nine NHL games without him losing his junior eligibility and before his entry level contract kicks in.

Mark my words, though. If Del Zotto proves he can play in the NHL over those nine games, Tortorella will keep him. His age and inexperience will not matter. Torts just lights up when he speaks about Del Zotto and Gilroy quarterbacking things, both at present and in the future.
http://rinkrap.blogspot.com/2009/09/...erent-new.html

MDZ doesn't lose his junior eligibility if he plays 10 NHL games and is returned to London. The Rangers would have used up a season off the 3 year ELC which is why if he plays more than 9 games,they are keeping him.

Old
09-29-2009, 07:04 PM
Bury Your Head

AWESOME! I wish MDZ all the best.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote