HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Was our relationship with Kovalev a childish one ?

Old
09-29-2009, 12:55 PM
ROEN
@OrenWeizman

vCash: 500
Was our relationship with Kovalev a childish one ?

I was listening to the Team 1200 ( Ottawa ) last week wednesday and someone brought up a pretty interesting point.

Kovalev arrived in Montreal after nearly 13 years of this team not having an elite forward, the crowd here was so starved for a star that all it would take were a couple of dekes to send us flying out of our seats and clap in our sleep

Kovalev knew that when things got too heavy, all he had to do is pull off the magic for a game or 2, blow kisses and all would be AOK

They pretty much said that Kovalev's success had more to do with star-vation ( pun intended ) than production

But Ottawa has had flashy forwards galore, sure the first couple of moves he pulls off might get a reaction, but when you're on a team that had the player pedigree Ottawa has had in the last 10 years

I wonder how fast Kovalev will wear out his welcome if the Sens and him particularily under perform

ROEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 01:00 PM
Iwishihadacup

indeed it was

lots of myths came out of his few dekes

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 01:06 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Kovalev isn't a star, nor was he.

At the time we got him, he was pretty much a first line player. Which, we've actually had in Koivu, Recchi, Damphousse, etc. He was nothing more special than those players.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 01:20 PM
MathMan

Yes, it was pretty childish, but sports fandom is not precisely a terribly mature endeavor to begin with.

The guy was entertaining and when you peel everything off that's what spectator sports are about. But if you want to win at all costs, he can't be your only weapon.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 01:47 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Kovalev was like a rodeo bull. In return for care, feeding, and prodding he gave us bull **** and the occasional 8 seconds of brilliance.

He is an artistic and entertaining player. But visually pleasing and effective are 2 different things.

I am hoping that this is the year we realize the difference.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 01:49 PM
Tuggy
Homer glasses on

vCash: 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
Kovalev was like a rodeo bull. In return for care, feeding, and prodding he gave us bull **** and the occasional 8 seconds of brilliance.
Haha, wow. That is great.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 01:51 PM
Peacock

The constant kovalev bashing is more childish if you ask me. It's as if since his departure the haters have to constantly attack him / compare him to Koivu.

Sure he wasn't a superstar, I think most people expected too much of him. At the same time I think he was perfect for the city; his play was very artistic, beautiful, and fluctuating. This went well with the temperament of most fans here.

In Ottawa they probably won't expect him to be another Heatley, so I doubt they will bash him as we do often (I'm not saying we expected him to be Heatley, but we did expect too much given his age / known inconsistency)

Last edited by Peacock: 09-29-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 05:03 PM
ChickenHabsFan

The medias and population needed a savior for a team wich only "star" was Saku Koivu. Kovalev is indeed spectacular on the ice but I would not call him an elite player. But he is definately a difference maker...

I dont know if it was "childish", but as it was stated a lot by so many forumers around the hockey scene, MTL fans were bi-polar about Kovalev. He scores he's a god he gets 2-3 so so games and he's a disgrace.

ChickenHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 07:40 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I better not comment on this...

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 08:05 PM
Teufelsdreck

I being a fan childish? I suppose it is to identify with athletes, to have heroes. However, sports plays a useful role. It's a way to deal with the stresses of life. Otherwise, we wouldn't see people displaying outlandish tattoos, haircuts, and facial hair at work or in church.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 08:26 PM
Clumsyhab

Ron Fournier for some reason is back on air blaming Gainey for not re-signing Kovy. Those journalists are all the same. Give me an interview and I'm on your side. His opinion on Kovy has not been the same since Kovy gave him an interview in the CKAC studio.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 08:31 PM
j52

Fans cheer for teams. they don't have relationships with players, unless they are groupies.

j52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 08:39 PM
Maximus Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by j52 View Post
Fans cheer for teams. they don't have relationships with players, unless they are groupies.
so it's negative to like the people in some instance rather than only the sweater they wear?

the concept of team is getting trampled in recent years. the only element of continuity, even on the shor term, being the fans, the city and the logo.

so people liked Kovalev and still like him even though he changed team. nothing's wrong with that.

Maximus Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 08:45 PM
VenomZeus

If you talk to a Pens fan I'm pretty sure they will tell you he was a superstar over there.

VenomZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 09:37 PM
dre2112

Kovalev was like that hot ***** with big **** that flirted with you every once in a while. You'd chase her all day, get all excited while she was making out with some other guy behind your back. You knew she was a cheating ***** but you still chased her for the **** tease every so often.

Habs fans were mesmerized by him because they settled with the best the team had to offer, and unfortunately for us, the best we had since Roy was Kovalev. How sad is that? Kovalev was all sizzle, no substance and many Habs fans were duped by some stupid dekes or hanging on to the puck longer than your average player.

dre2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 09:46 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre2112 View Post
Kovalev was like that hot ***** with big **** that flirted with you every once in a while. You'd chase her all day, get all excited while she was making out with some other guy behind your back. You knew she was a cheating ***** but you still chased her for the **** tease every so often.

Habs fans were mesmerized by him because they settled with the best the team had to offer, and unfortunately for us, the best we had since Roy was Kovalev. How sad is that? Kovalev was all sizzle, no substance and many Habs fans were duped by some stupid dekes or hanging on to the puck longer than your average player.
I've never heard it put this way but I love the analogy!

Old
09-29-2009, 09:51 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I better not comment on this...
i probably should steer clear as well

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 09:52 PM
HabbyGuy

Quote:
All sizzle? The man definitely was not "all sizzle". For all his warts, Kovalev's main problem strangely enough, is his world class talent. It is because of this, he always left us wanting more. I personally don't buy Kovalev as being lazy or disinterested at times, I think he always worked hard, perhaps even tried too hard at times to be the man, to give us that sizzle we all fell in love with when it worked. He was always there when the games meant something, he's a playoff warrior.

Call me childish, but he was my favourite hab to watch game in and game out while he was here. I was, and still am a Kovalev fan.

HabbyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 10:40 PM
snakeye

Quote:

Right, a PPG season, 30+ goals. Best PP scorer... all sizzle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabbyGuy View Post
All sizzle? The man definitely was not "all sizzle". For all his warts, Kovalev's main problem strangely enough, is his world class talent. It is because of this, he always left us wanting more. I personally don't buy Kovalev as being lazy or disinterested at times, I think he always worked hard, perhaps even tried too hard at times to be the man, to give us that sizzle we all fell in love with when it worked. He was always there when the games meant something, he's a playoff warrior.

Call me childish, but he was my favourite hab to watch game in and game out while he was here. I was, and still am a Kovalev fan.
I didn't see him as lazy neither. Kovalev just has crappy hockey sense. He has crazy skill, but doesn't know how to use it, and his team mates effectively.

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 10:49 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Old
09-29-2009, 11:10 PM
NewHabsEra*

Kovalev is an individual player who just cant play inside of a system, something Sens's coach could do with his team last year but Murray certainly didnt help him by signing Kovalev this summer, lets hope he will put the trouble in this team just like he did with ours.. Do you actually see Kovalev as a Habs this year playing under Martin? lol I suspect Bob to have managed that file pretty wisely to shut some fans and journalists up.. didnt really want him back.. Murray traded for 2 solid players so maybe Kovalev will try to follow the system but it remains to be seen..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 05:39 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
And Koivu was our wife.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 05:42 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROEN View Post
I was listening to the Team 1200 ( Ottawa ) last week wednesday and someone brought up a pretty interesting point.

Kovalev arrived in Montreal after nearly 13 years of this team not having an elite forward, the crowd here was so starved for a star that all it would take were a couple of dekes to send us flying out of our seats and clap in our sleep

Kovalev knew that when things got too heavy, all he had to do is pull off the magic for a game or 2, blow kisses and all would be AOK

They pretty much said that Kovalev's success had more to do with star-vation ( pun intended ) than production

But Ottawa has had flashy forwards galore, sure the first couple of moves he pulls off might get a reaction, but when you're on a team that had the player pedigree Ottawa has had in the last 10 years

I wonder how fast Kovalev will wear out his welcome if the Sens and him particularily under perform
Habs fans are frantic about their team....Kovy use to put out effort when he felt like it....didn't always go over good here. But he is a tremendous talent. Reminded me of Richer

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote