HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Cam Ward Signs 6 Year Extension

Old
09-30-2009, 09:32 AM
Kessel>Seguin +
Not Even A Big Fan!!

vCash: 500
I will bet Ward is not one of the top 3 or 4 goalies picked now in Fantasy games with a salary cap as hes not such a bargin anymore

Kessel>Seguin + is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 09:36 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knee Seeking Scud View Post
His stats over the last 4 years have improved each year so its seems like a good signing. What does this say about Mike Murphy who seems to have all the tools to be a good goalie at the NHL level? I see Murphy is still a couple years away but what he has done in the OHL is pretty damn impressive.
He'll still get his shot in the NHL at least as a backup for the Canes and likely be traded when he proves he's worthy of a #1 job. He's still 2-3 years away from being ready to be said backup IMO, so still plenty of time.

Love this signing as a Canes fan. It's a bit high but not by much, and Ward is just now entering his prime. You have to lock up key players like Cam and Staal long term otherwise you could easily be left with nothing.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 09:37 AM
sabresfan129103

can't say it's a bad deal. that's the going rate for a goaltender of ward's caliber.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 09:38 AM
caniac247

This was a nice surprise. There hasn't been much talk about signing Cam to an extension, so to hear this is great news.

He and Staal are the cornerstone of this franchise, so to get him locked up long term is key.

It might seem pricey, but like someone else noted, he is right on par with Lundvquist and Miller. And to add he does have 2 pieces of hardware that neither of these 2 goalies have. For me, its a good price to keep him in Carolina with his buddy Staal. Can't hurt to have another name in the organization.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 09:41 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
A bit high but Ward could pretty much name his price with the Canes at this point. Good for him and good for the team too.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 09:42 AM
sabresfan129103

Quote:
Originally Posted by DietCokeHead View Post
Good for the Canes, ward is one of the best goalies in the league. 6.3 per is alot, but as previously stated, that's the going rate for a goalie of ward's calibre.
i suppose i should make it known, i did not read your post before posting mine (which is pretty much identical). great minds think a like i suppose.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 09:45 AM
Washington Capitals

Good signing.

Washington Capitals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 09:50 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Great signing. The guy is an incredible goaltender and solid during the playoffs.

He's not elite like Brodeur or Luongo, but he's in the same class as Lundqvist, Fleury and Miller.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 09:57 AM
Mihairokov

Great signing by the Canes. One of the most clutch goaltenders I have ever seen.

Mihairokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 10:04 AM
DeathFromAbove

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
6.3 is a bit high but I agree.
Right, and what would have been a good price for you WVP? 5.5 million? Seriously, who cares about an extra 500K-1 million when youre talking about one of the best goaltenders in the league (he's making the same as Miller & Lundqvist and has accomplished more in his career than both of them).

He would have gotten way more than 6.3 on the open market, and i'm glad we are not going to be in a situation where he is exposed to offer sheets.

Great signing.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 10:05 AM
Afino
The Juice

Yeah, nothing wrong with this. Market deal.
Posted via Mobile Device

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 10:17 AM
jcbio11

Amazing signing.
Robert Luongo, Im really happy for you, Imma let u finish, but Cam Ward is one of the most underrated goaltender of NHL and he is better than you.

Cam Ward is clutch. Undeniably clutch. Has proven it time and time again, whether it was during the World Championships or NHL playoffs. If I was in charge of Team Canada I want Cam on my team.

jcbio11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 10:20 AM
Magnus Fulgur

Great signing for a great guy and a great clutch goalie.

A very dark day for the rest of the Southeast. Boo!

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 10:28 AM
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

Fleury's 5 million cap hit looks even better now.

Muscles4Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 10:29 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
A goalie should never be paid this much, I don't care who he is.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 10:37 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Any time you shell out big bucks for a player, you're taking a gamble that he can maintain form over a long period of time. If Ward can play under this contract the way he played to get it, it should be a worthwhile investment. He's absolute money in the playoffs, so that could be worth half his money on its own.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 10:38 AM
Lario Melieux*

Fleury's deal looking better and better...

Lario Melieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 11:25 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lario Melieux View Post
Fleury's deal looking better and better...
Why? Because a better goaltender was paid more?

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 11:28 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
Why? It's the most important single position on a team.

Ward is worth that money.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 11:30 AM
elriz

good to lock up a goaltender like this who's won a cup and a trophy, but too much considering his shaky regular seasons and his disproving of the whole "Cam Ward is clutch" thing in the Pittsburgh series. just my opinion though.

elriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 11:37 AM
BTD5504

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
goalie is probably the most important position on the ice, and maybe in pro sports.

how can you say that they don't deserve to get paid this much? Ward is basically the reason they won the cup, and got to the ECF last year.

he's worth every penny.

BTD5504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 11:38 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by elriz View Post
good to lock up a goaltender like this who's won a cup and a trophy, but too much considering his shaky regular seasons and his disproving of the whole "Cam Ward is clutch" thing in the Pittsburgh series. just my opinion though.
1. Last season was as far from "shaky" as you can get. He narrowly missed out on a Vezina nomination. His numbers were identical to those of Henrik Lundqvist and better than a slew of starting goaltenders making in excess of the money he was making then.

2. Ward has improved his numbers every season in the NHL from regular season to regular season and one could argue that last year was the first "elite" season that he has posted.... but the upward trend is one that you have to pay for.

3. Cam Ward has played 7 career playoff series and gone 6-1 in them. Included in that would be 4 game 7 victories in which he was a star in all of them and a Conn Smythe. Just as the 2 goals against Martin Brodeur in the final 20 seconds of Game 7 does not make him "unclutch", a poor performance behind a tired and injured defense to the best team in hockey does not negate all he had done prior to that point. Prior to the ECF, he was again a front runner for the Conn Smythe and nearly the sole reason why Carolina was "in" every game against teams that on paper were far superior.

4. The price is about market value when you consider that Carolina has used Ryan Miller's contract as comparison tool one previously giving him the same 3 year deal out of his entry level contract as Miller received. A slight increase in the cap hit would also likely come from the contract being staggered out as opposed to lots of money up front, making it more palatable for the organization.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 11:40 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
They had to keep him, that and he is a beast in the playoffs. Good for him. I bet if Luongo signed a short term non-cap-manipulative deal, he would be running similar, if not, better numbers given that most of them he is making $6.7 million.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 11:46 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
1. Last season was as far from "shaky" as you can get. He narrowly missed out on a Vezina nomination. His numbers were identical to those of Henrik Lundqvist and better than a slew of starting goaltenders making in excess of the money he was making then.

2. Ward has improved his numbers every season in the NHL from regular season to regular season and one could argue that last year was the first "elite" season that he has posted.... but the upward trend is one that you have to pay for.

3. Cam Ward has played 7 career playoff series and gone 6-1 in them. Included in that would be 4 game 7 victories in which he was a star in all of them and a Conn Smythe. Just as the 2 goals against Martin Brodeur in the final 20 seconds of Game 7 does not make him "unclutch", a poor performance behind a tired and injured defense to the best team in hockey does not negate all he had done prior to that point. Prior to the ECF, he was again a front runner for the Conn Smythe and nearly the sole reason why Carolina was "in" every game against teams that on paper were far superior.

4. The price is about market value when you consider that Carolina has used Ryan Miller's contract as comparison tool one previously giving him the same 3 year deal out of his entry level contract as Miller received. A slight increase in the cap hit would also likely come from the contract being staggered out as opposed to lots of money up front, making it more palatable for the organization.
Good post, totally agree. One of the more underrated players in the league and very important to that Carolina club. Worth every penny.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 11:49 AM
elriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
agreed, but his two full seasons before that he is flirting with a .900 SV% and a 3.00 GAA. to me he's had one incredible playoffs and one great regular season, but he's also had two atrocious regular seasons, two missed playoffs, and a playoff run that could be argued he was a main factor in ending. in my head that doesn't equate to the amount of money he's making.

if it is market value, it's market value and i guess you swallow it and move on. he's a goaltender that more teams than not would love to have.

elriz is offline   Reply With Quote