HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Cam Ward Signs 6 Year Extension

Old
09-30-2009, 12:59 PM
impeach estaalo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by elriz View Post
agreed, but his two full seasons before that he is flirting with a .900 SV% and a 3.00 GAA. to me he's had one incredible playoffs and one great regular season, but he's also had two atrocious regular seasons, two missed playoffs, and a playoff run that could be argued he was a main factor in ending. in my head that doesn't equate to the amount of money he's making.
So, basically, all that happened in last year's playoffs was Cam Ward "disproving" that he is clutch by allegedly being the main factor in ending his team's playoff run? And how do you suppose that they got to the Conference Finals in the first place?

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:01 PM
None Shall Pass
Cory Stops All

Good signing!

None Shall Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:03 PM
Lario Melieux*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Why? Because a better goaltender was paid more?
Lol. You can argue Fleury is slightly better. You can argue Ward is slightly better. In goalie rankings, I'd put them both in the 6-10 range, and I wouldn't separate their rankings by more than one goalie.

Regardless, if you were to argue that Ward is better, there's no way you can argue that he's 1.3 million dollars better. Not even a chance you can argue that.

Lario Melieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:04 PM
CloutierForVezina

Fail. If you're going to do an internet me-me that is fairly easy to follow, try not to screw it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbio11 View Post
Amazing signing.
Robert Luongo, Im really happy for you, Imma let u finish, but Cam Ward is one of the most underrated goaltender of NHL and he is better than you.

Cam Ward is clutch. Undeniably clutch. Has proven it time and time again, whether it was during the World Championships or NHL playoffs. If I was in charge of Team Canada I want Cam on my team.
Posted via Mobile Device

CloutierForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:05 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lario Melieux View Post
Lol. You can argue Fleury is slightly better. You can argue Ward is slightly better. In goalie rankings, I'd put them both in the 6-10 range, and I wouldn't separate their rankings by more than one goalie.

Regardless, if you were to argue that Ward is better, there's no way you can argue that he's 1.3 million dollars better. Not even a chance you can argue that.
Ward >> Fleury, not even close. This is the same Fleury that has been wildly inconsistent throughout his entire pro career right? Ward is a top 5 Goalie, Fleury might be top 10.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:07 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
agreed, but his two full seasons before that he is flirting with a .900 SV% and a 3.00 GAA. to me he's had one incredible playoffs and one great regular season, but he's also had two atrocious regular seasons, two missed playoffs, and a playoff run that could be argued he was a main factor in ending. in my head that doesn't equate to the amount of money he's making.

if it is market value, it's market value and i guess you swallow it and move on. he's a goaltender that more teams than not would love to have.
True, but two years ago Jeff Carter was a 14 goal scorer as well. That point is a bit facetious obviously, but unfortunately you cannot give contracts out that are docked for previous performance. The truth is that during those years where Ward struggled, a lot of other young goaltenders had risen and fallen with the tide. I see Ward as having weathered those storms as opposed to being like players Carey Price, Pascal Leclaire, and Marc Andre Fleury that had tremendous spikes and tremendous lows. Fleury not as bad as the other two aforementioned guys, but the general point still remains.

I am not trying to explain away Cam Ward's personal disappointments, but the entire team underachieved for the two years after the Cup victory. While it is generally the job of the goaltender to set the tone, he was only 23-24 at the time. Hell, he's still only 25 years old. He's right at the point where you want a future starting goaltender to prove his chops and he already has several complete years under his belt. In my estimation, Carolina took the "lumps" of developing Ward in a trial by fire for the first two years he spent as a starter and then his play really started to round into form.

I also have to vehemently disagree with Ward being the primary reason the Hurricanes went out in the ECF last season. One could argue with very little contradiction that Ward was not only the primary reason they advanced past Boston and New Jersey, but he was the leading candidate for the Conn Smythe to that point right there with Crosby and Malkin for the Penguins. Ward had an injured back during that series as well, but it wouldn't have mattered anyways. That Pens team rolled through Carolina anyways. Attributing that series to Cam Ward's poor play is a bit short sighted, IMO. You'll mostly hear that from Fleury backers trying to discredit Ward.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:12 PM
Caeldan

I won't call it an amazing signing, but it's not a bad signing either.
As others have mentioned I think it's a bit high on the money side, but it is a market deal (at least until we see what happens with the cap this coming off-season).

Ward I think is a fairly consistent goaltender and his previous poor numbers were mostly the standard sophomore slump... I'd take him over Fleury on a Team Canada selection - but I'm not sure if I'd pay him a million more a year.

Side note, is this now Carolina's largest deal? or what was the Staal re-signing for again? (I seem to remember listening to xm radio one day a while ago and they were talking about how Carolina's never given a deal over 6M)

Caeldan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:15 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:

I am not really sure you can quantify $1.3 million of worth between salaries in excess of $5 million per season. Even still. Fleury is locked up for 6 years including this upcoming year and Ward is locked up for 7 including this upcoming year. The difference in the contracts being $1.3 million means that Fleury will have to make $7.8 or more to have made the same dollar amount as Ward. If Fleury is still an elite goaltender by that point, then 7.5 million wouldn't be out of the realm of reasonable. I suppose you could say that Carolina just locked up Ward a year longer than Fleury for a final year of $7.8 million if you were so inclined.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:16 PM
OrioleWay
Jailbait

Poor Mike Murphy .

I like deal and honestly i don't care even JR overpaid for Wardo with 500 K or 1 mil. He's too imporant for Carolina. Cam loves team and Raleigh, Raleigh, team and fans loves Wardo. It's nice deal. Just good goalies worths big moneys. See Lundqvist, Giguere, Luongo, Miller.

OrioleWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:18 PM
zoodani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caeldan View Post
Side note, is this now Carolina's largest deal? or what was the Staal re-signing for again? (I seem to remember listening to xm radio one day a while ago and they were talking about how Carolina's never given a deal over 6M)
Staal was signed for 7yrs 8.25cap (I think, going off memory here) so Wards is not the highest

zoodani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:19 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Great lockup.

kyle evs48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:24 PM
number 19

yep definitely worth it, possibly the best goalie in the league, proven playoff performer, prime of his career, not an extremely long contract.

number 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:25 PM
elriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Babchuk View Post
So, basically, all that happened in last year's playoffs was Cam Ward "disproving" that he is clutch by allegedly being the main factor in ending his team's playoff run? And how do you suppose that they got to the Conference Finals in the first place?
Cam Ward is a playoff goaltender, he's not getting paid because of his regular season numbers, which until last year were bad for even a backup.

When Cam Ward doesn't show up for an entire playoff series, I would say that brings a little off his value. He's an average at best regular season goaltender already, when he starts to show chinks in his armor in the playoffs (where most of his value lies) by dropping a series himself then I don't think he's worth the 6.3 million cap hit.

Is he a bad goaltender? No, he's won a ****ing cup and a conn smythe. But at sometime you have to realize that was 4 seasons ago and look at what he has done since then. Yes, he is still improving and could turn out to be a beast and make this number a steal, but i think 6.3 on Cam Ward is a gamble.

elriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:28 PM
elriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
True, but two years ago Jeff Carter was a 14 goal scorer as well. That point is a bit facetious obviously, but unfortunately you cannot give contracts out that are docked for previous performance. The truth is that during those years where Ward struggled, a lot of other young goaltenders had risen and fallen with the tide. I see Ward as having weathered those storms as opposed to being like players Carey Price, Pascal Leclaire, and Marc Andre Fleury that had tremendous spikes and tremendous lows. Fleury not as bad as the other two aforementioned guys, but the general point still remains.

I am not trying to explain away Cam Ward's personal disappointments, but the entire team underachieved for the two years after the Cup victory. While it is generally the job of the goaltender to set the tone, he was only 23-24 at the time. Hell, he's still only 25 years old. He's right at the point where you want a future starting goaltender to prove his chops and he already has several complete years under his belt. In my estimation, Carolina took the "lumps" of developing Ward in a trial by fire for the first two years he spent as a starter and then his play really started to round into form.

I also have to vehemently disagree with Ward being the primary reason the Hurricanes went out in the ECF last season. One could argue with very little contradiction that Ward was not only the primary reason they advanced past Boston and New Jersey, but he was the leading candidate for the Conn Smythe to that point right there with Crosby and Malkin for the Penguins. Ward had an injured back during that series as well, but it wouldn't have mattered anyways. That Pens team rolled through Carolina anyways. Attributing that series to Cam Ward's poor play is a bit short sighted, IMO. You'll mostly hear that from Fleury backers trying to discredit Ward.
Good post, I understand where you are coming from even though we don't agree.

Old
09-30-2009, 01:30 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Lots of money for a money goaltender. With his very impressive accomplishments over such a young career taken into consideration, this is a very solid signing.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:41 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Thats a lot of money for Ward, BUT... hes been a boss in the playoffs.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 02:02 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Good post, I understand where you are coming from even though we don't agree.
Maybe you don't agree but the large majority, or maybe even all, of NHL GM's certainly do. Stop and think about it for a minute.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 02:04 PM
eric71*

Fair, even deal. Canes would be screwed if they lost Ward

eric71* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 02:08 PM
KarmaPolice
No Hope...

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Good for Cam--he's hit the jackpot. Pretty fair contract, if not a tad high, but I think he'll be worth the money.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 02:15 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:

I can argue that since Pittsburgh had many more pieces they had to lock up (Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Fleury, etc), Fleury could not ask for the going rate and instead took a discount in order to stay on the team.

Since Carolina essentially has Staal and Ward and that's pretty much it as essentials, Ward was able to get the going rate.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 02:23 PM
Adama0905

Wow, I honestly cannot believe he got that much. He's a good goalie...but definitely not six mill good. At the moment. If I were the Canes, I would have signed him to like two years at four...ish, and then if he keeps himself up during those two years, then load him up on the six mil. But only if he kicks severe ass.

Amazing what teams are willing to give the guys they perceive as their franchise cornerstones...

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 02:27 PM
Adama0905

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
Good for Cam--he's hit the jackpot. Pretty fair contract, if not a tad high, but I think he'll be worth the money.
This contract is a lot like Stastny's (and a few others (Kopitar to a larger extent)) in that I don't think he's quite worth it yet, but I think he will be worth it in a while.

It just seems to me that teams are so afraid of the cap that they're signing their guys to these grossly inflated deals. It's really sad.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 02:29 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adama0905 View Post
Wow, I honestly cannot believe he got that much. He's a good goalie...but definitely not six mill good. At the moment. If I were the Canes, I would have signed him to like two years at four...ish, and then if he keeps himself up during those two years, then load him up on the six mil. But only if he kicks severe ass.

Amazing what teams are willing to give the guys they perceive as their franchise cornerstones...
You've got to lock up your boy that already got you a cup. Ward is a cornerstone to the Canes, don't be silly.

He has had his fair share of struggles, and dammit I hate the Canes, but this is very, very smart. When the pressure is on the kid is stellar. Hes a great goaltender and you don't risk him for one or two years on a lowball offer with the potential to lose him. Especially at his age where he will (more than likely) become even more consistent.

Its not like stanley cup winning goaltenders are a dime a dozen.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 02:51 PM
elriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
Maybe you don't agree but the large majority, or maybe even all, of NHL GM's certainly do.
I have no idea how you know that all/a large majority of NHL GM's would sign Ward for 6.3 million. Please share your thinking.

Old
09-30-2009, 02:53 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Naked View Post
Ward >> Fleury, not even close. This is the same Fleury that has been wildly inconsistent throughout his entire pro career right? Ward is a top 5 Goalie, Fleury might be top 10.
Wow I don't think I've seen someone be so wrong in one post.

And this is coming from someone who doesn't think highly of either goaltender. I don't know if you can say "not even close". Fleury has a cup just as well as Ward, though he hasn't gotten a chance to prove much of it. Both goalies are inconsistent throughout the regular season and not superb, but have shown to step up their games in the playoffs for sure. Fleury and Ward are both top 10. Ward in the top 5 is arguable. Just as well as Fleury would be if you'd call him in the top 5.

But there's no question that Fleury at $5 mill > Ward at $6.3.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote