HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Should I wear a visor?

Old
09-29-2009, 03:14 AM
koh19

vCash: 500
Should I wear a visor?

I'm 19 and I'd really like to wear a visor but my mom doesn't want me to. She says that she spent a fortune to fix my teeth and is against it. I think i'd play much better. I play at quite a high level. Would a visor help a lot? Because she only wants me to wear it during practise and not during games. Would that hurt my play in games? Or would it help? I'd wear a mouth guard.
Thanks

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 03:17 AM
JustinW

LOL just wear the welding mask that heatley wears.

JustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 03:23 AM
dick341

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinW View Post
LOL just wear the welding mask that heatley wears.
hah, that guy's a clown. Either wear a cage or don't wear anything at all.

dick341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 03:27 AM
MG91

haha heres your answer: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=686011

seriously though, take your chances if your gonna wear the visor. Ive gone back and forth and haven't really notices any difference. Although I have grown up playing with a cage my whole life.

MG91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 05:13 AM
koh19

Yeah but with a mouth piece, I should be ok, shouldn't I?

Old
09-29-2009, 07:04 AM
fcb51

Quote:
Originally Posted by koh19 View Post
Yeah but with a mouth piece, I should be ok, shouldn't I?
The mouth piece, or mouth guard, is only good for avoiding concussions. They dont stop a puck or stick to the mouth. If you're that determined to get a visor get the half cage/visor combo...

fcb51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 08:13 AM
jbennardo

This seals the deal... I was gonna go with a visor but I know I'll end up hating that too. I might as well go for the real protection. Things can get up and under visors. I've seen it happen way too much.

jbennardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 09:39 AM
madmutter
I heff to be med

I'd rather look through a cage than a visor that is fogging up. Not to say they always fog up but some days it seems there's nothing you can do.

madmutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 10:22 AM
IniNew

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcb51 View Post
The mouth piece, or mouth guard, is only good for avoiding concussions. They dont stop a puck or stick to the mouth. If you're that determined to get a visor get the half cage/visor combo...
The mouth guard will protect your teeth from minor collisions like a stick to the mouth or the such.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 08:27 PM
HerrAlex

visor only protects your eyes. Just go old school and where nothing or a cage. a cage is alot better then a full face shield if your thinking about going that way.

HerrAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 10:25 PM
Pedagogue

You'd have to look at the risk vs reward factor. The risks definitely outweigh the rewards. However, it's personal preference. Not wearing a cage is dangerous but then again hockey is a dangerous sport. I wear a half visor and love it. It's more of a high definition feel as opposed to a cage, However, I do know the dangers. Wearing no facial protection must be an amazing feeling (wind on your face, total clarity, etc.) It's your call, but be prepared to deal with the consequences if they surface.

Pedagogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2009, 10:55 PM
noobman

Quote:
I'm 19 and I'd really like to wear a visor but my mom doesn't want me to. She says that she spent a fortune to fix my teeth and is against it. I think i'd play much better. I play at quite a high level. Would a visor help a lot? Because she only wants me to wear it during practise and not during games. Would that hurt my play in games? Or would it help? I'd wear a mouth guard.
Thanks
What are your teammates wearing?

I don't like the half-visor or the cage/visor combo tbh... you lose uniformity in your vision. That's just me though. I grew up playing with a full face shield and I don't plan to take it off. I have an old helmet w/ the cage removed that I use for pond hockey... but that's the only exception, since pucks and sticks aren't supposed to leave the ice in pond hockey.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:02 AM
koh19

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
What are your teammates wearing?

I don't like the half-visor or the cage/visor combo tbh... you lose uniformity in your vision. That's just me though. I grew up playing with a full face shield and I don't plan to take it off. I have an old helmet w/ the cage removed that I use for pond hockey... but that's the only exception, since pucks and sticks aren't supposed to leave the ice in pond hockey.

Out of my 23 teammates, I'd say 17 wear a visor.

Old
09-30-2009, 06:49 AM
Devs

Quote:
Out of my 23 teammates, I'd say 17 wear a visor.
Don't be an idiot and don't make the same mistake I made. Unless you are getting paid to play and are covered under some sort of insurance, wear the damn cage. I lost my chiclets to a pissed off defenseman in a free agent camp where I was not covered. Didn't have dental insurance either, either in the contract or under my own plan. Cost me more than I would like to remember.

I imagine you're college aged at this point. The effect of losing your tooth is cool for the first week or so as your buddies tell you how awesome/stupid you look, while the girls fawn over you for getting hurt. After that honeymoon though, it isn't as much fun, ESPECIALLY for job interviews after hockey, etc.

Is it cool to have your tooth knocked out? In the hockey culture, of course it is, and it does bring about it a badge of honor. But really, who are you trying to impress? If you're actually good enough to go to Europe, I hope you know how to keep your head up at this point. Any one you're trying to impress will be much more awestruck by a nifty pass or a snipe to the corner than whether or not you're wearing a cage.

Be smart, wear the cage, and best of luck.

Devs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 02:45 PM
koh19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devs View Post
Don't be an idiot and don't make the same mistake I made. Unless you are getting paid to play and are covered under some sort of insurance, wear the damn cage. I lost my chiclets to a pissed off defenseman in a free agent camp where I was not covered. Didn't have dental insurance either, either in the contract or under my own plan. Cost me more than I would like to remember.

I imagine you're college aged at this point. The effect of losing your tooth is cool for the first week or so as your buddies tell you how awesome/stupid you look, while the girls fawn over you for getting hurt. After that honeymoon though, it isn't as much fun, ESPECIALLY for job interviews after hockey, etc.

Is it cool to have your tooth knocked out? In the hockey culture, of course it is, and it does bring about it a badge of honor. But really, who are you trying to impress? If you're actually good enough to go to Europe, I hope you know how to keep your head up at this point. Any one you're trying to impress will be much more awestruck by a nifty pass or a snipe to the corner than whether or not you're wearing a cage.

Be smart, wear the cage, and best of luck.
thanks!

Yeah I guess I'll keep the visor, for another year at least. Although I play at the best amateur level in Switzerland, I think I should stick with the cage a little longer considering I play against fully grown men.

Insurance isn't a problem (here in switzerland) but it would suck to lose some chiclets and or have chipped teeth after all I had to go through to get straight teeth. They cost $8000+ so my mom would be pissed off.

Thanks

Old
09-30-2009, 03:10 PM
Devil Dancer

I like wearing my full face shield, it makes me feel safe out there. I know I can go into the corners and in front of the net without risking permanent deformity because some idiot is overly aggressive or doesn't know how to skate.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 03:16 PM
deanosaur

If you play at a "quite high level" of hockey from that... they probably would require you to wear a visor... at least... high level hockey I've heard of requires you to wear a visor..

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 03:32 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
If you play at a "quite high level" of hockey from that... they probably would require you to wear a visor... at least... high level hockey I've heard of requires you to wear a visor..

Nope

EDIT: Jr then AHL

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 03:37 PM
K-PAX*

Does your play currently warrant a full cage? Do you get hit in the face fairly often?

I wear one but then again I don't play at a high level of hockey. I think the shields are better than full cages provided you can deal with using your rag after every shift. I've never had a problem with fog.

If you do get a cage make sure you get one you're comfortable with, cause there's a fair amount of variety.

K-PAX* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 03:40 PM
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler

why not a visor/cage hybrid? That's what I would do if I were you.

Old
09-30-2009, 03:47 PM
CanadaBacon

Wear what ever you feel comfortable wearing. You are the one playing.

You dont need to listen to what anyone on here says or even your mom (unless you still live at home).

These threads bring out the same people everytime:

1) Unless you get paid to play, its not worth it/you are an idiot.

2) Dont be a , its only a couple teeth. This is hockey, go play tennis if you are a coward.

Old
09-30-2009, 03:50 PM
koh19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse Flying V View Post
why not a visor/cage hybrid? That's what I would do if I were you.
I used to wear one when I played bantam, midget,... but never went back. I dunno what it is but there's something I don't like about a visor/cage hybrid.

Old
09-30-2009, 05:53 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
I could never go back to a cage after wearing a visor. You have much better on ice vision with the visor and your peripheral vision doesn't suffer.

I would invest in a good visor. I have the oakley bubble visor and i love it

WasTeD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 10:03 PM
densetsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Wear what ever you feel comfortable wearing. You are the one playing.

You dont need to listen to what anyone on here says or even your mom (unless you still live at home).

These threads bring out the same people everytime:

1) Unless you get paid to play, its not worth it/you are an idiot.

2) Dont be a , its only a couple teeth. This is hockey, go play tennis if you are a coward.
+1

It's a risk/reward relationship. The level of risk you're comfortable with is a very personal thing, can't ask someone to make all your decisions.

You also have a much better idea of what your hockey environment is like than anyone else on this board. What the skill level is, how strict the refs are, how many times things get out of hand, etc. Even though the play is faster, it's usually safer playing with skilled players. In general, they have decent discipline with keeping their sticks down and have good control of their shots. They shoot for the top corner and it goes to the top corner, nine times out of ten. A low-level beer league game might be slower, but they flail their sticks around and their shots usually don't go where they want to. A beer league guy shoots for the top corner and it could be 10 feet away from their target.

Personally, I play with just a visor. I think everyone at the very least should protect their eyes in some fashion, but that's my opinion. I've had teammates who've skated with just a Cooper SK100, and while I think they were nuts, they were totally comfortable in it.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 11:52 PM
CanadaBacon

I dont/wont wear a visor/cage.

Im a regular joe with a day job, i lost 3 teeth, broke my nose a few times, have to be in the 30-40ish in stitches in my brow/forehead/nose area. But personally i love the game more then i hate pain. None of these incidents have had any affect on my jobs.

I dont think im an idiot for not wearing protection. I understand that there is a chance i could have an eye injury. Its the same chance i have of breaking my neck or arm or leg.

I personally dont care if someone wears a visor or a birdie. Really makes no difference to me. At the same time its the visor/cage wearers that call us idiots for not wearing them. The worst ones will say "i will do whatever to be as safe as possible", thats fine except that a lot of these guys dont wear neck guards, dont wear the right sized elbows and dont wear shinners that cover the calf.

Hockey is a dangerous sport whether it is contact or noncontact. We move at such a high pace that injuries (serious and non serious) can happen at anytime. At some point you will be hurt no matter what eq you are wearing. Thats what makes this game what it is. If that is to hard to grasp maybe this isnt the right game for some of you.

Sure its all about fun, but at some point you will get injured. Hopefully not seriously but there is always that chance.