HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

2009 Blue Jackets Training Camp Thread

Old
09-30-2009, 12:55 PM
Raymones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH View Post
I can respect that. I think (without Stralman) they are a fine group. I am excited by the small glimpse of his game I've gotten through online video seriously though, he looks like he can really skate, and if he has a booming (right) shot from the point, I think we'll find uses for him, in time. With his visa issues, etc, I won't be surprised if they don't get him in the first few games until he gets up to speed with the system and his teammates and the coaching staff determines where he fits within the group.

You're right through, though last season and this season's training camp, our top 6 guys have earned the right to their spots.....for now
Strålman is a VERY good skater. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "booming shot", but if by that you mean "hard", I think you will be slightly disappointed. His shot is dangerous because it's accurate and because he is good at getting it through traffic. It's not very hard, though. Well, hard enough IMO..

Raymones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 01:15 PM
Roadman
Moving On

THN names John Moore as one of the top ten preseason performances

http://thehockeynews.com/articles/28...formances.html

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 02:23 PM
hashmarks

For some reason my 'multi' quote feature isn't working so

@ Renion;

I am pretty sure you are talking about Russell your entire post so...

I am judging Russell on what I see out of him on the ice. He skates like Paul Coffey up until the far blueline and then makes a soft play with the puck. When he has a chance to keep going, he pulls up.

He doesn't strike me as a guy who is enthusiastic to get the puck and shoot it and try to score. He looks to me like a careful player. His passes are typically not hard enough nor are they executed with the firmness and accuracy of what a true offensive defenseman can deliver. Yes, he is young and still learning and I accept that...we all know that Howson has unparalleled patience so I suspect he will be given loads more time, but my main point is that if Stralman is even with Russell defensively (which really shouldn't be too much of a task) and has the offensive upside that we are hearing/reading about, then he will be given every chance to help us and if that means taking Russell out, then this whole 'dibs' business won't and doesn't play into it.
------------------

@CBJCougar--I don't really think Filatov was 'brilliant' in the 8 games he played. I kind of see it the way blahblah did. I think LaCosta was brilliant and I think the way our grinders played when we have 7 regulars out was brilliant, but overall I didn't see Filatov's performance as brilliant. The hattrick was great fun and it was exciting as heck and I was happy/proud of him, but that is about all I can really remark upon quite frankly.

--------

@blahblah--your welcome for the homework...it is due next monday.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 02:53 PM
RDriesenUD

Not sure if this is anywhere else. Lines from this morning. Could be nothing, but I think they make sense.

http://www.ohshoops.com/2009/09/buck...e-results.html

And I agree with PCH. I think you will see Methot when we play more physical teams and Russell when we play better skating teams or need more scoring. I probably agree with his parings too. They balance out the best that way. I really like the Klesla-Tyutin pair.

EDIT - Just saw it in the lines thread.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 04:21 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post

@CBJCougar--I don't really think Filatov was 'brilliant' in the 8 games he played. I kind of see it the way blahblah did. I think LaCosta was brilliant and I think the way our grinders played when we have 7 regulars out was brilliant, but overall I didn't see Filatov's performance as brilliant. The hattrick was great fun and it was exciting as heck and I was happy/proud of him, but that is about all I can really remark upon quite frankly.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I know you're busy. Looks like we just have a different view of brilliant, which is great. I save the Gold Stars for Rookies who score Hat Tricks and label that brilliant; you're thrilled when people do their job. Guess it's part of that "common" thing I have according to Blahblah. Of course keep in mind I don't have the knowledge that both of you do either. I just go to the games, watch them on tv, cheer until I lose my voice, read everything I can here from people who, like you and Blahblah, are on top of this and pray that the locker interviews are shirtless.

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 04:47 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
Hey, thanks for the reply. I know you're busy. Looks like we just have a different view of brilliant, which is great. I save the Gold Stars for Rookies who score Hat Tricks and label that brilliant; you're thrilled when people do their job. Guess it's part of that "common" thing I have according to Blahblah. Of course keep in mind I don't have the knowledge that both of you do either. I just go to the games, watch them on tv, cheer until I lose my voice, read everything I can here from people who, like you and Blahblah, are on top of this and pray that the locker interviews are shirtless.
LOL! That's awesome!

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 05:03 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
Stralman will have to earn his spot but not in the same way as rookies during training camp. He will be inserted at some point into the lineup and if he impacts the team as Howson is expecting he will have earned his way into a rotation of some sort. Unless he plays like Bobby Orr then he will not be rotated.

If he is not the link we need he will probably still play often (i.e as Backman last season) but be scratched as well. We have 7 defenseman on the roster, Hitchcock will have to rotate or at least alter who gets scratched in order to keep all players mentally and physically in top game shape.

If a defenseman gets injured then the starters are set.

I agree that any player that scores a hat trick earned the term brilliant for at least that day..., that said when he was called up his play was impressive for a 19 year old kid. Last season Filatov was nursing an injury in October that contributed to his being sent down, in the end I'm glad because his year in Syracuse was well worth it.

Last edited by Robert: 09-30-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote