HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Who Will Be This Year's Unmerited/Undeserved Whipping Boy?

View Poll Results: This Year's Umerited Whipping Boy Will Be...?
Stralman (PP quarterback) 7 9.33%
Modin (Injuries) 19 25.33%
Chimera (Past offsides) 8 10.67%
Huselius (Goalposts) 8 10.67%
Klesla (Returning Champion) 14 18.67%
Other (explain below) 19 25.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-30-2009, 07:58 AM
Wolfy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
Press box toughness doesn't matter, which is where Tolly was a lot last year.
Well he's healthy now.

I was hoping that Howson would sign a real fighter, but it didn't happen. Tolly was the last Jacket respected by other tough guys. I'll never understand what Howson was thinking about, but that's just my opinion

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 08:10 AM
LetsGOJackets!!

Do you really think so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
Well let's see how this works out in a league tougher than ever before.
I am probably way off on this thought.. but I see more skaters now than ever before, smaller faster players and less emphasis on big tough fighters like Georges, Oliwa, or Shelly. Not to say they aren't on lineups.. but if Detroit is coming to town those guys are typically in the pressbox.

Boll, Dorsett or Sestito/ McNasty will always be around to fight guys like 2 - 2.

Put the emphasis on skilled skaters, and higher scoring % on your powerplays and the tough guys get shelved against your team. Going back a ways the Canadians of the late 60's and early 70's never had a tough guy, and they won a lot of cups. Guy Lefleur would make you pay on the pp.

On the other hand to your point.. the Flyers of the 70's were all about the terror and intimidation.. so I guess it is a mgmt preference.

In today's NHL give me a guy like Ryan Getzlaf, he'll fight you or out skill ya, however you want to play.

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 08:20 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Stats to chew (according to hockeyfights.com):

Boll - 6'3" 195lbs

2 seasons - 51 fights

----------------------------

Tolly - 6'2" 200lbs

3 seasons - 19 fights

----------------------------

No way of knowing who won each fight (without doing more research than I'm up for) or if the greater number for Boll means he wasn't "respected by other tough guys", but I think it does show that, however much we liked OKT, he wasn't as involved in the rough stuff as Boller. Part of that, of course, is that he was either hurt or scratched for much of his time here. I liked him, but his time has passed with this team. We'll see how he does in Philly, where, by the way, he's had one fight in the pre-season.

Last edited by pete goegan: 09-30-2009 at 08:42 AM.
pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 08:25 AM
Jimayo

Quote:
Well let's see how this works out in a league tougher than ever before.
Judging by this statement, I have to assume you're just a pup. This league can't compare to the 70's and 80's for toughness.

Jimayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 08:28 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
Well he's healthy now.

I was hoping that Howson would sign a real fighter, but it didn't happen. Tolly was the last Jacket respected by other tough guys. I'll never understand what Howson was thinking about, but that's just my opinion
According to you, his BFF.

Howson was thinking: 'gee, we love this guy, he has great character, his teammates love him, he will do anything for the team, but he is really not that good of a player and he was hurt a lot of the time, I couldn't get anything for him at the draft so I guess we let him walk'.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 08:28 AM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCosta Nostra View Post
Dorsett. He's a better fighter.
It's really hard to tell when someone is joking on a message board, but I'm gonna assume you were. I like Dorsett because he does have some offensive ability but he's a dart with no feathers. I'd like to see him focus more on scoring and less on fighting because the new NHL is bigger each year and I don't want to see any of our guys get hurt when their mouths write checks their hind end can't cash.

Quote:
When I mention this problem I'm told it's old, lame, beating a dead horse...whatever. But I'm obviously not the only one who can see that the Jackets lack toughness.

This is the way they want it, Hitch & Howson. They don't believe in the rough play and traded/released all the tough guys. Well let's see how this works out in a league tougher than ever before.

Boll is definitely a whipping boy, simply because he can't fight. He throws some wild haymakers hoping they connect, and he has no guard. Dorsett lacks size, he gets ragdolled by the big guys. Will help a little if Sestito makes the team though.
Are you Tollie's wife? If so, I'll leave this alone and add that I did see some nice things out of Tollie last season during the preskate while interacting with the kids. I remember thinking that was really nice of him to do since he wasn't playing.

I don't think Sestito made the team. Hmm.

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 09:23 AM
Wolfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
Are you Tollie's wife? If so, I'll leave this alone and add that I did see some nice things out of Tollie last season during the preskate while interacting with the kids. I remember thinking that was really nice of him to do since he wasn't playing.

I don't think Sestito made the team. Hmm.
I don't think Tolly would marry me, he'd find a goat more attractive.

My point, Jackets need toughness. Still Howson removed Shelley and Tollefsen, and he doesn't want Sestito. Number of hits and fights reach a new record every season. But it looks like most of you don't see that as a problem.

Well, fine then...and good luck to the Jackets. I'm still gonna watch their games, now I got one foot in Columbus and one in Philly.

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 09:36 AM
Renion

I'd certainly love our lineup to have more physicality--especially our top six. It'd be nice to have a consistent physicality throughout the lineup. I think it'd be hard to argue that teams that can bring that with every line are tougher to play against. Yes, obviously, it has to go hand in hand with skill.

I'd settle for the first step being a nasty, high-minutes defender, though.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 09:37 AM
Renion

Oh, and the whipping boy(s) will be the players targeted by the most aggressive posters.

So, likely Russell, Filatov and Boll.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 09:58 AM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

Boll's useless btw.

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 07:46 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Well he's healthy now.
Hmmm...just saw on the NHL network bottom line that Tolly is on the IR...

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 08:14 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
The Discovery Channel also noted the sky is blue. The Weather Channel reported its sunny in Los Angeles. And all was right with the world.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 08:19 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Damn. And he was the last Jacket respected by, you know, ALL the OTHER tough guys!!

I bet it was a groin pull....

Old
09-30-2009, 08:22 PM
LaCosta Nostra

Probably back spasm from carrying around a huge pair of nu...........you know, because he's the only toughness the CBJ ever had.

LaCosta Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 08:35 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCosta Nostra View Post
Probably back spasm from carrying around a huge pair of nu...........you know, because he's the only toughness the CBJ ever had.
LOL!! I HAD heard that!! How will we EVER get by??

Old
09-30-2009, 08:39 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
Damn. And he was the last Jacket respected by, you know, ALL the OTHER tough guys!!

I bet it was a groin pull....

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 08:48 PM
JF Labbe

1) Nik Filatov.
-Lofty expectations. I'm not saying he's overrated, but there is a ton on his shoulders for 09-10.

2a) Steve Mason
-If the Maseiah goes into a sophomore slump, he's toast. People from Vancouver to Miami will be ripping him apart for having a fluke 08-09.

If Steve is on a roll,

2b) Mathieu Garon
-Something tells me he'll be just like every other highly touted goaltender not named Steve Mason or Dan LaCosta, to an extent. Brathwaite, Norrena, Conklin and JF Labbe have all disappointed. If Mase is rolling and needs that off day boost from Garon, I just don't see it coming. Call me the eternal pessimist, jaded, or stupid, but that's me.

JF Labbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 08:56 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Strålman, I can guarantee it. Everyone's going to want him to be Bobby Orr!

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 09:17 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

Only one Bobby Orr..

I was thinking Paul Coffey though.. on a serious note when Strawdog or one of the Swedish posters kinda dissed his "hard slap shot" thoughts of a young Al McGinnis went out the window as well.

Actually my own expectations of him are much lower.. I don't really expect many points, maybe (20 - 30 / mostly assists).. but I look forward to seeing him smoothly skate the puck into the attack.. or get that breakout tape to tape pass into the neutral zone. If Anton Stralman has that ability.. we can count on more scoring up front and that is alright with me. I miss Z in that respect.. he probably gets picked on the toe drag.. but the effortless end to end rush always got me a bit excited.

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote