Old
09-29-2009, 08:53 PM
Static

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Static
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnut View Post
Giguere is now 32 years old.
What does his age have to do with my comment?

Static is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 02:46 AM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spankatola Jamnuts View Post
Exactly. The Ducks will need to sign 3 top 6 forwards, 2 top 4 defensemen, and a goalie next season, along with some odds and ends. All the salary coming off the books talk is pretty misleading.

Couple that with how damn hard it'll be to trade Giguere, even if he has a great year, and you can see why it'd be so much better for the team if he returns to form and we have to keep him. Because, in all likelihood, we're going to be keeping him no matter what. Best case scenario is that both goalies play out of their minds and Hiller can bring in a nice piece THIS season.
Some of that will come from within, and I believe Selanne could still play next year, in which case Koivu would probably stay as well

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 11:19 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
I think both should be given an equal opportunity to be number one but at this time Giguere is more proven, and has always responded well to backups trying to take his job.
I think splitting should be an option for the poll, at least until one stands out over the other.

I'm a bit disappointed it wasn't an option.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 11:21 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Despite having the best defense in front of him in 06-07 Jiggy stole the Wings series, the whole team was mostly crap and he stood on his head for us.
I very much agree with that. Without Giguere in net, I don't think we get past Detroit. Bryz is not a goaltender I would have felt comfortable having in net against them.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 11:37 PM
airforceones25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleak View Post
If Scotty leaves after a full season of Giggy playing well, I could see Giggy picking up a d-man (top 3 easily) Prospect(s)/Pick(s). Maybe trade Giggy++ for a top-25 D-man, but that's all assuming Hiller is the real deal (Ever since the 2007 season, I've loved this goalie. The style of play is going to be more technical and athletic)

Hiller is my homer pick just because I want the team to be competing for years to come. Goalies are very rare in the NHL that can play on a level that carries your team. He did this at a young age as well, hopefully we see more. Giggy DID do it, but its been the entire team since 2003. He is a great goalie but he is going to start the decline in the next 2-3 years. With a tandem of Hiller + a solid backup goalie (I like MacDonald) for 2 years till Kyle Palmieri is ready.

But both goalies are good and the better one will stand out this season. I could see Hiller going at the deadline if Giggy shows up. Hiller for 3-4.5M a year for a team like the Flyers maybe. I could see Giggy going too if he waives his NTC/NMC. These two are in the exact same situation at the start of the season.
Kyle Palmieri? hmmm sounds like quite the steal! A center who can backup as goalie...

airforceones25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 11:43 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Next season the Ducks will probably need to sign some stop gap top 6 forwards and top 4 defensemen for 1 or 2 years, until guys like Palmieri, Holland, Bonino, Beleskey, Mitera, Gardiner, and Clark are ready.

jax00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 12:41 AM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
Giguere should not be mentioned in the same sentence with Brodeur and Roy
Goaltenders who have appeared in at least two stanley cup finals since the '95 draft (Giguere's) and have captured a Conn Smythe during that 13-final stretch:

Patrck Roy
Jean-Sebastien Giguere

Whoops!

Jiggy plays the percentages. His "positional" style provides the shooter openings, but requires that the shot be perfectly placed/highlight reel quality. This allows him to avoid resorting to acrobatics and therefore injuries. He's got a lot more starting mileage than you think. Had Carlyle gone back to JS earlier in the '06 Edmonton series, we might be talking about 3-time finalist Giguere.

Last edited by RECsGuy*: 10-01-2009 at 12:55 AM.
RECsGuy* is offline   Reply With Quote