HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Baum Turns Down Both Bids For Phoenix Coyotes

View Poll Results: Are you disappointed that there is no hamilton coyotes for the 10-11 season?
Yes 27 60.00%
No 18 40.00%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-30-2009, 08:23 PM
FruityPants3*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
photos
Holy crap, there must be at least a few thousand people in those photos of people celebrating while leaving the stadium. Shocking that many gather for a sporting event.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 08:28 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
Holy crap, there must be at least a few thousand people in those photos of people celebrating while leaving the stadium. Shocking that many gather for a sporting event.
Those were fans at airport waiting for the Canes to arrive!

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 08:30 PM
Libor Polasek

Quote:
Rome wasn't built in a day I remind you. The Canes start off rocky in Greensboro but since there move to Raleigh they have steadily built a pretty damn good fanbase.
Those Greensboro years were tough ones indeed. I recall some nights of half empty buildings, and more than a few journalists questioning the league's decision to move at that particular time.

Libor Polasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 08:32 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Rome wasn't built in a day I remind you. The Canes start off rocky in Greensboro but since there move to Raleigh they have steadily built a pretty damn good fanbase.

Have you ever actually met a Canes fan? Or a Preds fan? Those people love there team as much as you or I love ours.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2003

Go through the years.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 08:38 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
Um you are talking about one of the least successful franchise in NHL history. We were terrible for decades. That little dip in the 90's was nothing more than a blip.

But look, fans are still around. Still no major success, but the team is always popular. 40 years without a Cup and the fans are rabid.

Trying to get sympathy for the Coyotes lack of success from Canuck fans simply isn't going to happen. I don't care how many poor seasons they've had in a row it doesn't compare to Vancouver.
Exactly.

15 straight seasons without a winning record - only over .500 twice in their first 31 seasons.

Last edited by Barney Gumble: 09-30-2009 at 09:00 PM.
Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 11:07 PM
Alan Jackson

Those are nice pictures above.

I was just on ticketmaster. It appears as though there are still plenty of seats available for the Home Opener vs Philly.

Further, I just read a tidbit in the Vancouver Sun that Sportsnet averaged 234,000 viewers for the Canucks PRE-SEASON games.

Will the Canes get 234,000 TV viewers this season?

I'm not picking on Carolina, but I'd imagine there would be more support for a team in, say, Hartford.

That's not to say that there aren't passionate fans in non-traditional markets. Of course there are. Just not enough of them.

I'm a big fan of English Premiership soccer, but I don't expect a team here anytime soon.

Alan Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 12:52 AM
baronzilch

Quote:
photos
Geez, hundreds of people lined up all orderly around the arena before and after gameplay .

Hockey gatherings are nice, but, need I remind you that up here in Canada we have hockey riots.

baronzilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 01:24 AM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
The problems with the Coyotes right now is not the fans, it's mismanagement of the team for many, many years.
This is true - and has been true in the past - for a great many teams that still managed to survive. The problem in Phoenix has been, and continues to be, too few fans.

Old
10-01-2009, 01:28 AM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Those were fans at airport waiting for the Canes to arrive!
Great, then let me also clarify. No more than 100 people appear in any one of those photos.

Old
10-01-2009, 01:48 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
This is true - and has been true in the past - for a great many teams that still managed to survive. The problem in Phoenix has been, and continues to be, too few fans.
The mismanagement includes the drafting and signing of players which directly effected the on ice product. No one is going to watch a losing team for long and in the mid 90's it was the same thing for the Canucks. I remember heading to GM Place in the 90's (pre Burke) and was able to talk down scalpers because games never sold out.

Quote:
Ah, good. I'm glad you have some kind of scapegoat to deflect from the absurd assertion that NHL hockey can work in Phoenix.
Hockey is working in Phoenix:

http://www.arizonarubber.com/

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 02:01 AM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post

Hockey is working in Phoenix:

http://www.arizonarubber.com/
Just not the NHL variety.

http://coyotes.nhl.com/

Old
10-01-2009, 02:10 AM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Quote:
Just not the NHL variety.

http://coyotes.nhl.com/
When the NHL says hockey is working in Phoenix, they're not just talking about the Coyotes they're talking about all levels of hockey.

They've been growing the game from the ground up and it's to the point to where High School hockey has finally taken off.

PF Changs (HQ is in Scottsdale) has been a big part of helping the game to grow.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote