HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Season preview Habs

Old
10-01-2009, 02:51 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Do you know what Donkey Punch means?

This is an incredibly strange and creepy thing for you to say at a hockey message board.
lol, donkey punch... its been awhile since it was mentioned.

last time was probably two years ago...

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 05:00 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I don't expect (I can dream though), my beef was with the best finish possible comment. I know it was an 'average' if you will, it was just the comment.

Finishing eighth is a conservative expectation, in that we could just as easily make the playoffs as miss them.
I hope you guys realize, you probably do but don't want to admit it, the best finish possible was made by Bob MacKenzie - someone almost everybody on this board respects.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 05:53 AM
ti-vite

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
I hope you guys realize, you probably do but don't want to admit it, the best finish possible was made by Bob MacKenzie - someone almost everybody on this board respects.
Yes, thats what I saw.

I think the first 15-20 games are going to be difficult, but after that it should get better.

ti-vite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 06:03 AM
topcheeseplease

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i5zXLZHGI4
Pierre Mcguire is the weirdest....check 1:50

topcheeseplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 06:18 AM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
And where did Bob have us finishing a couple of seasons ago, when we finished first in the east?

Bob is good, but not all knowing.

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 07:13 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

ha ha ha McGuire.

I have no problem with the prediciton. It's reasonable. I just find McGuire funny. That paragraph above by HABbiest is pretty well accurate.

Volume = Inteligence to Pierre... it's like when he's turning up the volume he's turning up his brain power. I hate to admit he's a good analyst, (credit where it's due) but it's delivered so abrasively it's hard to pay attention. I wonder if he has had a few... he's the guy that gets buzzed the quickest and starts talking the loudest, for sure.

Good show though. TSN does a great job covering hockey. I wonder if Pacioretty has a chance to be a top rookie. Don't remember him being in their top-10 list, but it would seem he'll get good minutes with good players. If he converts most of his chances he should put up decent numbers.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 07:25 AM
Fozz

I don't agree with their comment that "if everything goes perfect, they finish 8th". If everything goes perfect, they'll be battling for top spot in the conference. As for McGuire, sure he's over the top and regularly annoying but he knows hockey and no one can deny that.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 07:31 AM
hotcarle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
I like how maguire says that the key is Markov has to produce, he MUST produce...

Markov always produces you fool, its the others around him that need to do better.
If there's one streaky flash in the pan, it has to be Markov. You never know what to expect from him. I mean, he could have a 64 point season, or maybe a 67 point season, or maybe a 62 point season, you never can tell with that guy.

hotcarle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 07:39 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
A prediction anywhere in the 9 to 6 range has to be considered plausible. Anything better would be nice but will depend on how fast and well things mesh. Anything below is because nothing meshes, Price bombs and Halak does not pick up the slack.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 08:35 AM
Pascal

I see them from 4th to 9th, most likely 6 or 7... It will be a good team. It's an improved team over last year for sure. It all depends on Price..

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 09:09 AM
Joe Malone

8th is a fair guess. Remember, ALL the TSN "experts" were asked to pick where the habs would finish, and 8th is basically the average of all replies. Some would have picked higher, some lower, which is consistent with a team like the habs this year, because nobody really knows where we'll finish.

I don't agree with MacKenzie saying everything must go right to finish 8th. If everything goes right, we'll do better than that. Got a laugh out of Ray Ferraro saying the habs are too small....Ray 5' 10" Ferraro? Geez, he played 1200+ games and scored over 400 goals in the NHL at his generously listed 5' 10" size. He shouldn't be picking on Gionta like that.

McGuire wasn't as annoying as when he's the only analyst present. He didn't compare Toronto's defense to Montreal's Big Three of the seventies like he did the other night.....maybe he knew better with MacKenzie present.

Joe Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 09:18 AM
TonyTinglebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcarle View Post
If there's one streaky flash in the pan, it has to be Markov. You never know what to expect from him. I mean, he could have a 64 point season, or maybe a 67 point season, or maybe a 62 point season, you never can tell with that guy.
Your name is priceless, I think I love this thread with people saying they are gonna donkey punch someone and hotcarle posting in it.

TonyTinglebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 09:26 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Come on people, 8th is a reasonable prediction.
Yeah but as a BEST CASE SCENARIO? give me a break.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 09:41 AM
PatPrice

If we follow their logic, there is like one or two legit first line centers in the whole northeast division. Spezza, Savard, maybe Roy and thats it. And dont tell me Regin, Stajan, Grabo etc are better than Plecks or Gomez....

PatPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 10:35 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
Really, I fail to see how you have Florida in the "improved" category, and Atlanta in the "flop" category.

Carolina is your guess.
New Jersey still lost a couple of important players.
New York (Rangers) IMO didn't improve that much.
Philadelphie is boom or bust. If Emery fails, I don't see them being dominant.
Pittsburgh lost tons of offense.

Honestly, the Eastern Conference is wide open... for anybody.
Personally despite losing J-Bo, their younger players should improve once again. They were on the cusp last year those guys should get better. David Booth, Michael Frolik, a healthy Olesz, add Reinprect, Horton a wild card. Good young players, solid but not spectacular defense and if Vukoun falters at all, you have a very good goalie in Clemmenson backing him up.

Atlanta did very little to improve. Dont like Afinogenov, Antropov decent but not someone i'd rely on. He just moves his show from Toronto putting up some points but never made any difference to the results of the team.

The team is once again Kovalchuk with shady goaltending. Some players moved around but nothing more than what was already in place.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 11:58 AM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Last year, 4pts separated 6th to 8th.
In 07-08, 1pt only.
In 06-07, 2pts.

In the last couple years, it's been extremely close. So 6th or 8th, it's pretty much the same.
That's too wise (wisdom) for a "prediction-type" of discussion. You should get banned.

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 12:01 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

8th is a totally a spot that we could be in. I don't think that's the harshest thing they've said though. They did say immediately after....AT BEST a 8th place....That's pretty harsh but also could pretty close to reality. It all depends of the chemistry early in the season, all depends of how we'll do away from home, how we'll do on the PP and how the goalies will answer. And as of now, NOBODY knows how it will work out.

Not making the playoffs is totally a possibility.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote