HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2009/10 - Lines Discussion - (ES/PP/PK) - Part II

Old
10-01-2009, 01:39 PM
HoverCarle*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
When the extra forward is a guy like Asham, it's a sign of a quality hockey team. The guy is obviously a bottom 6 forward but he knows how to play hockey and contribute. Whoever the extra forward is will get plenty of playing time. We generally dominate the league in games lost to injury. Only the Islanders beat us and they have the ringer in Dipietro to get them over the top. Though I guess Forsberg gave us an advantage when he was here... sigh.
We will just play Asham against Jeff Schultz and Dan Hamhuis

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 02:53 PM
CptCannon

Hartnell-Carter-Briere
JVR-Giroux-Asham
Gagne-Richards-Pyörälä
Carcillo-Betts-Laperriere
Powe
Cote

Pronger-Carle
Timonen-Coburn
Parent-Syvret
OKT

Emery
Boucher

Holy hell, AWESOME!

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 03:18 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
James van Riemsdyk , Claude Giroux and Darroll Powe were paired together as a possible third line, while Dan Carcillo, Blair Betts and Ian Laperriere should work as the fourth line. The biggest news coming out of these combinations is that it appears as if Riley Cote and Arron Asham will be the healthy scratches.

It has yet to be announced that Betts has officially signed a contract. However, practicing with the team a day before the first game is an encouraging sign. If the deal does not get done, Powe will likely take over fourth-line center duties and Asham will be re-activated.

Here is the projected line up for opening day…
Gagne – Mike Richards – Pyorala
Hartnell – Carter – Briere
JVR – Giroux – Powe
Carcillo – Betts – Laperriere

Coburn – Timonen
Pronger – Carle
Parent – Syvret

I don't like Asham being out of the lineup...

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 03:22 PM
Hubey1327

Quote:
Michael-Lee Teslak-G-Flyers Oct. 1 - 4:08 pm et

The Flyers recalled Michael-Lee Teslak from the minors.
With Brian Boucher ailing, Teslak will back up Ray Emery in Friday's opener against Carolina.
Source: NHL.com
from rotoworld

Hubey1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 03:25 PM
JSTAFF

I want Asham out there protecting my youngins. Not darroll powe's stone hands.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 03:35 PM
Banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
I want Asham out there protecting my youngins. Not darroll powe's stone hands.
I thought Powe would be in the top 9 all offseason. I wasn't so sure when Pyorala made the team but I like him being in the top 9. That's a hellafast line with JVR and Giroux. I can't wait for them to drop the puck...

Banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 03:46 PM
Banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
In terms of offensive skill and upside, is JVR comparable to Giroux? Sounds like they've been paired together often in the pre-season but both might a fair amount of Top 6 and PP time as well? You guys have a pretty scary looking team, especially if Emery can play well / keep his cool....
he's comparable but their games are different. JVR is obviously huge (6'-3"), has great hands, very accurate strong shot, very good skater, good playmaker, solid defensively and can play all situations. I think Giroux will be an excellent distributor and a good scorer while JVR will be a very good scorer and good distributor. I think they will complement each other well because they both have very good vision and instincts to get into open spaces.

JVR kind of reminds me of Carter with better passing ability and vision.

Banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 04:06 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Gagne – Mike Richards – Pyorala
Hartnell – Carter – Briere
JVR – Giroux – Powe
Carcillo – Betts – Laperriere

Coburn – Timonen
Pronger – Carle
Parent – Syvret

I don't like Asham being out of the lineup...
Somebody had to be out of it. They have to give Carcillo some chances so it's basically a toss-up between Powe and Asham. Sucks, but it had to be done.

That is a ****ing awesome line-up. When your extra forward is Asham you know you're in good shape.

Only obvious weak-spot, I believe, is back-up (regardless of whether Boucher is healthy). I mean...Teslak? Come on. Some could consider Carle a weak-spot too.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 04:11 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Somebody had to be out of it. They have to give Carcillo some chances so it's basically a toss-up between Powe and Asham. Sucks, but it had to be done.

That is a ****ing awesome line-up. When your extra forward is Asham you know you're in good shape.

Only obvious weak-spot, I believe, is back-up (regardless of whether Boucher is healthy). I mean...Teslak? Come on. Some could consider Carle a weak-spot too.
I know everyone loves Powe (I do too), but I think Asham is a better player for this team (and on that line) than Powe is. We'll see how it works out, the forward lines are just stacked.

I think Carle will be solid. Pronger will make up for his mistakes.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 04:17 PM
Snevik

Quote:
They have to give Carcillo some chances so it's basically a toss-up between Powe and Asham. Sucks, but it had to be done.
why, exactly, does he need to be given chances?

not that it matters, i guess. powe does make that line even younger and faster, and maybe taking asham off there forces JVR to be that physical presence... or that line gets pushed around quite a bit with asham's body. asham will be back in the everyday lineup two weeks into the season, injuries or no injuries.

Snevik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 04:24 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

If they think Teslak is a better option than Backlund for a backup we better hope Emery doesn't go down. From the little I've seen on Teslak he's lucky to be an AHL backup. Of course he can't suck much more than Backlund did against Minny.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 04:26 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
I know everyone loves Powe (I do too), but I think Asham is a better player for this team (and on that line) than Powe is. We'll see how it works out, the forward lines are just stacked.
This has been debated countless times already. The difference between Powe and Asham are negligible really. It doesn't matter at all. Either way they're just a plug for the third line. Both can score. Asham is more physical while Powe is a lot faster and energized.

Quote:
I think Carle will be solid. Pronger will make up for his mistakes.
So far, based on the pre-season, that hasn't happened much.

Quote:
why, exactly, does he need to be given chances?
-We traded Upshall and a 2nd for him. We should at least see what we can get out of him.

-He has potential still, unlike guys like Powe and Asham who have already hit their ceilings.

-He can score just as well as Powe or Asham, regardless of whether he reaches his potential.

-Stevens and Holmgrem have already decided to try and make him lower down on the penalties and play a more skilled game. That has been evident in the pre-season.

-He has only been here for about half a season. Not really enough time to judge someone as young as Carcillo.

-He's played great in the pre-season so for that alone he should be given a chance.
Quote:
If they think Teslak is a better option than Backlund for a backup we better hope Emery doesn't go down. From the little I've seen on Teslak he's lucky to be an AHL backup. Of course he can't suck much more than Backlund did against Minny.
He could give up 5 goals and not even bring it to a shootout. That's worse.

I agree though. I really, really doubt he'll be any better then Backlund. I don't even have faith in Boucher for when he comes back. I'm kind of wishing we would trade for a reliable backup (Halak, Biron, Harding, etc.)

Old
10-01-2009, 04:35 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
This has been debated countless times already. The difference between Powe and Asham are negligible really. It doesn't matter at all. Either way they're just a plug for the third line. Both can score. Asham is more physical while Powe is a lot faster and energized.

-He has potential still, unlike guys like Powe and Asham who have already hit their ceilings.

Only thing i disagree with. Powe was a rookie. Hasn't come close to reaching his ceiling yet

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Cleary84

I'm really digging a line of:

JVR - Giroux - Powe

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 04:53 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Only thing i disagree with. Powe was a rookie. Hasn't come close to reaching his ceiling yet
For some reason I thought Powe was 28. My bad. Still, Carcillo's ceiling is probably higher.
Quote:

JVR - Giroux - Powe
Yeah. What's even better is when you realize that it's the 3rd line. Adding JVR to the roster really does give us three legitimate scoring lines.

Old
10-01-2009, 06:09 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleary84 View Post

JVR - Giroux - Powe
I originally wanted Briere to play with Giroux, but JVR's chemistry with Claude is nice too. Giroux is like Richards; he can essentially play with anyone and make anyone around him better. That's special.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 09:21 PM
BerubeBox*

Quote:

JVR - Giroux - Powe
It sounds great. I think it's a better line than one with Asham on it. Although I really like the idea of Asham being in the top 9. For a player like him it's a good thing to have his head in the game. He's one of the few enforcers (well, he's a borderline enforcer) that belong on a third line. He adds intangibles that help the team dictate the flow of a game. But that's not so easy if you only get 7 minutes a night.

I'm sure Asham will see a large number of games this year either way, but if Powe clicks on that line, it should be all 4th line minutes.

It's just another aspect of the 'good-problem-to-have' thing. You have to give it to Homer. The team is built to play tougher than anyone, and it's ready for the inevitable injuries that come with that style of play.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 10:04 PM
Shoeny

Quote:

JVR - Giroux - Powe
whos protecting the jvr and giroux

also, i would rather see a veteran on a line with jvr and giroux.

Shoeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 10:16 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

If Powe isn't careful he'll just be keeping the spot warm for Maroon by postseason.

I like Powe and all, but I'd rather see him take Carcillo's spot when/if Maroon is ready to go at some point this season.

It's a shame Pat got that injury. At least it gives him a chance to work some more on his skating where it can't become that big of an issue.

Of course the lines would need to be reworked. Don't need Maroon and JVR on the same line.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 10:37 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
I know everyone loves Powe
no, not all of us like Powe. Some of us think he's a dime a dozen player that can be easily replaced in the line up. I have to admit that I really wanted Asham on that line with Giroux and JVR because he'd keep the opposition honest if anyone considered taking liberties with the two. I don't see Powe fitting that role at all.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 10:38 PM
PhilaFlyers

JVR-Giroux-Asham looked pretty good in the preseason. Don't really understand why Ashams out.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 10:46 PM
kicksave27

You need some with Giroux than can finish and be aware of his sick passing skills. JVR seems to be the guy, he knows how to use his size and has a nose for the net. I'm just curious if he can keep it up for a full season, giroux had the benefit of a really long run the memorial cup the year before. powe, while having great speed just can't finish.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 11:49 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeny View Post
whos protecting the jvr and giroux

also, i would rather see a veteran on a line with jvr and giroux.
+1 what he said... Skill aside, if you look at all the intangibles something is definately missing. Between both of them they have less than a year experience in the NHL. Hell, they are just barely old enough to go out for a beer after the game. They are boys playing against men. If you don't have someone on that line who will throw their weight around and protect them if necessary, then you can expect to see one or both on the IR for a long time this season. Powe is not that guy.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 02:49 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
+1 what he said... Skill aside, if you look at all the intangibles something is definately missing. Between both of them they have less than a year experience in the NHL. Hell, they are just barely old enough to go out for a beer after the game. They are boys playing against men. If you don't have someone on that line who will throw their weight around and protect them if necessary, then you can expect to see one or both on the IR for a long time this season. Powe is not that guy.
This is a silly flyers mentality. These guys are professional hockey players. They don't need a big daddy looking over their shoulder to make sure they are ok. You have to remember that these guys will probably have Pronger back on the blue-line too. Powe drops the gloves too and is a hard little bstard. They just need the puck. They create their own space and giroux is going to give JVR at least 20 goals this season, and probably 10-15 to powe minimum. I said it here first.

I have no problem with powe warming the spot for maroon either. I really believe that maroon can be a damn good player in this league. Very much a knuble player.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 03:15 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
no, not all of us like Powe. Some of us think he's a dime a dozen player that can be easily replaced in the line up. I have to admit that I really wanted Asham on that line with Giroux and JVR because he'd keep the opposition honest if anyone considered taking liberties with the two. I don't see Powe fitting that role at all.
Powe is no more or no less dime-a-dozen than Asham, Carcillo, Laperriere, Cote, or even Betts. The difference between all of these players is minimal, with Cote clearly being the worst, that this constant bickering around here over who should play and who shouldn't has reached the pathetic level. It's bordering on Carcillo vs. Upshall in terms of stupid arguments that need to die.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote