HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Should I wear a visor?

Old
10-01-2009, 01:30 AM
sjshark91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinW View Post
LOL just wear the welding mask that heatley wears.
How would that help if he's worried about his teeth?

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 01:45 AM
NigelSPNKr

vCash: 966
Cuz it pretty much covers his chest

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 10:38 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
I dont/wont wear a visor/cage.

Im a regular joe with a day job, i lost 3 teeth, broke my nose a few times, have to be in the 30-40ish in stitches in my brow/forehead/nose area. But personally i love the game more then i hate pain. None of these incidents have had any affect on my jobs.
What does love of the game have to do with it? I love hockey too, and my full shield doesn't take away from that love in any way. All it does it protect my face. And this isn't about pain or being a wuss, it's about avoiding unnecessary injury and expense. Plus, as a lawyer, maintaining a professional appearance is important to my career.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 05:32 PM
NigelSPNKr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
What does love of the game have to do with it? I love hockey too, and my full shield doesn't take away from that love in any way. All it does it protect my face. And this isn't about pain or being a wuss, it's about avoiding unnecessary injury and expense. Plus, as a lawyer, maintaining a professional appearance is important to my career.

because i hate cages and shields. I thought i made that clear. I would perfer some pain then where a cage/visor.

To the bolded bit:

So does a mouthguard, so does a neck guard, so does wearing the proper elbows and so does wearing shinners that cover the calf. Very few people wear all these so that excuse is void imo.
Why even play at all? just playing the game puts you in a position of unnecessary injury and expense.

keyphrase: IMO, i really dont care what you wear or dont wear.

Old
10-01-2009, 06:21 PM
SaskScout

I had the same problem, got cut in the eye. Wear a visor, you will be happy you did

SaskScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 06:23 PM
NigelSPNKr

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend View Post
I had the same problem, got cut in the eye. Wear a visor, you will be happy you did

you can still get hit in the eye with a visor.

just saying.

Old
10-01-2009, 08:21 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:

just saying.
Yep .... I wear a visor and know it offers some protection for the eyes but certainly is NO guarantee that I won't lose an eye playing.

.... already lost the front teeth years ago playing so no big whoop there about that.

Face protection is personal preference, I do not look at someone as being a wimp because they are wearing a full face set up.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 02:12 AM
deanosaur

Quote:
Nope

EDIT: Jr then AHL
Trust me, I understand that. I don't know what else I'd consider anything high level outside of pro or semi-pro that didn't require a visor was my point.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 02:43 AM
NigelSPNKr

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
Trust me, I understand that. I don't know what else I'd consider anything high level outside of pro or semi-pro that didn't require a visor was my point.
My bad, i though you meant at a "high level" a visor was needed. ie ECHL, CHL (not canadian) etc etc

Basically once you finish Jr you dont have to have face protection unless you play in the A. I guess thats what you meant.

Old
10-02-2009, 10:29 AM
pfloyd75

A lot of this sounds similar to the discussions about wearing helmets years ago and goalies wearing masks before that. Given these types of trends, its probably just a matter of time before visors become mandatory in all levels. Who knows- full shields/cages may be mandatory at some point.

pfloyd75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 12:29 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Personally I feel not wearing a full cage at any level lower than Major Juniors is completely stupid.

Mouth guard only protects the top teeth.

My only rule is this. If you switch to a visor, you have no right to ***** if you take a puck or stick to the face, because it could have been prevented.

You've played this long with a cage and apparently are good, as you say. So why change if you've learned to play with it and take extra risk?

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 01:24 PM
NigelSPNKr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Personally I feel not wearing a full cage at any level lower than Major Juniors is completely stupid.

My only rule is this. If you switch to a visor, you have no right to ***** if you take a puck or stick to the face, because it could have been prevented.

You've played this long with a cage and apparently are good, as you say. So why change if you've learned to play with it and take extra risk?

level you mean age wish or talent wise?

Like is beer league considered lower based on talent or higher based on age?

Old
10-02-2009, 02:55 PM
Quicktimer

Yes, wear one.

I wouldn't have vision in my right eye if it wasn't for one.

Quicktimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 02:57 PM
deanosaur

Quote:
level you mean age wish or talent wise?

Like is beer league considered lower based on talent or higher based on age?
Beer league is considered beyond lower based on talent.

Old
10-02-2009, 02:58 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Lower levels are more risky when not wearing protection because idiots constantly get their sticks up high on you.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 03:03 PM
deanosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post

What extra risk? There's no extra risk. You step on the ice regardless of cage or visor, and put yourself at risk at getting injuries. ****ing knee injuries occur more often than a face injury, I'm more afraid of those than getting a stick in the face. As well if you really do worry about getting injured every time you step on the ice, should you really be playing? I mean why play in fear of getting injured every time you step on the ice wheres the fun in that.

Oh and a side note, a visor or cage should NOT affect your play. Nor would it make you a better player. You might be able to see the ice better, as there are people who say the cages blind them for some odd reason.

Old
10-02-2009, 03:11 PM
NigelSPNKr

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
Beer league is considered beyond lower based on talent.

Yah, i think we all know that. Im trying to figure out what he meant by "lower league"

Used beer league as an example, lower based on talent or higher based on age.

I didnt ask if beer league was lower then MJ based on talent.

Old
10-02-2009, 03:13 PM
NigelSPNKr

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
Lower levels are more risky when not wearing protection because idiots constantly get their sticks up high on you.

Especially Cage wearers.

Gino, where are you?

Old
10-03-2009, 01:24 AM
densetsu

Quote:

just saying.
You can still get hurt, and in the odd cases a visor can make things worse (e.g. someone getting their blade trapped under your visor and blindly fighting to get it out.) But in general, a visor is going to reduce injuries.

A big appeal of visors is that they provide safety while also being cool and trendy. I don't know why people don't want to admit that the cool factor plays into their decision... because it's illogical?

I can see just fine through a cage -- as a goalie, I'm always staring through a cage and I can see past the bars fine, with a cateye cage and a birdcage. But when I suit up as a forward, I wear a visor. Why? Years ago I decided to throw away the cage because I thought it was dorky and something only kids wore, and since then I've been comfortable in a visor.

Do I still think cages are dorky and only for kids? Hell no, I've matured since then. But will I go back to wearing one myself (as a forward)? Probably not. Illogical or not, I think a visor is decent, though not perfect, protection. And I'm just a computer programmer, I don't need teeth to write code.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 04:57 PM
NigelSPNKr

Quote:
Originally Posted by densetsu View Post
You can still get hurt, and in the odd cases a visor can make things worse (e.g. someone getting their blade trapped under your visor and blindly fighting to get it out.) But in general, a visor is going to reduce injuries.

A big appeal of visors is that they provide safety while also being cool and trendy. I don't know why people don't want to admit that the cool factor plays into their decision... because it's illogical?

I can see just fine through a cage -- as a goalie, I'm always staring through a cage and I can see past the bars fine, with a cateye cage and a birdcage. But when I suit up as a forward, I wear a visor. Why? Years ago I decided to throw away the cage because I thought it was dorky and something only kids wore, and since then I've been comfortable in a visor.

Do I still think cages are dorky and only for kids? Hell no, I've matured since then. But will I go back to wearing one myself (as a forward)? Probably not. Illogical or not, I think a visor is decent, though not perfect, protection. And I'm just a computer programmer, I don't need teeth to write code.

I have never understood the "cool factor" of visors.

If i ever chose to use face protection i would go with a cage just because i think visors are as dumb as it gets (function and looks).

no offense to anyone who wears a visor

Old
10-03-2009, 06:58 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
I have never understood the "cool factor" of visors.

If i ever chose to use face protection i would go with a cage just because i think visors are as dumb as it gets (function and looks).

no offense to anyone who wears a visor
None taken.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 08:03 PM
roast

I was 20 years old and got hit the the eye with a clearing attempt on a PK...now I wear a visor.

roast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 12:22 AM
WestCoastWild

I wore a cage my whole life until I started wearing a visor in my junior seasons. During Juniors I never was hit in the mouth, face or anything. Then I played College one of my last games of the season (while wearing a cage) the cage came back and cracked my front teeth, I lost my front 3 teeth. I started wearing a visor in Adult leagues I got the occasional stick to the mouth (about 6 times) but I never switched to the cage because I hate it so much. So I was playing adult league got hit in the mouth split my lip and small scar on my upper lip. Switched the cage (even though I hate it) with my profession (Actor) I have to protect my face from now on. Do what you want to do, its hockey stuffs gonna happen anyways.

As for a stick getting underneath a visor.. I've worn a Visor in different levels of hockey since I was 14.. I'm 24 now, I've never had a stick ever get underneath the visor in my eye area.

WestCoastWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 12:45 AM
NigelSPNKr

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLYWD10 View Post
I wore a cage my whole life until I started wearing a visor in my junior seasons. During Juniors I never was hit in the mouth, face or anything. Then I played College one of my last games of the season (while wearing a cage) the cage came back and cracked my front teeth, I lost my front 3 teeth. I started wearing a visor in Adult leagues I got the occasional stick to the mouth (about 6 times) but I never switched to the cage because I hate it so much. So I was playing adult league got hit in the mouth split my lip and small scar on my upper lip. Switched the cage (even though I hate it) with my profession (Actor) I have to protect my face from now on. Do what you want to do, its hockey stuffs gonna happen anyways.

As for a stick getting underneath a visor.. I've worn a Visor in different levels of hockey since I was 14.. I'm 24 now, I've never had a stick ever get underneath the visor in my eye area.
I have never had a stick in my eye and i wear no face protection, in 15 years.

PS how loose was your cage to knock out teeth? that sounds like user fault to me.

Old
10-04-2009, 01:01 AM
indigosurf

A visor doesn't protect your teeth. Does your mom know what a visor even is? Seriously though, I'm 19 aswell, and play in a recreational league, and alot of the guys wear full face-protectors, though most of the guys on my team either wear visors or nothing. But I've seen alot of other team's that have them, and after a few games, I can see why. I've been in about 5 games now, already I've seen two guys get hit in the face with a puck. One guy lost like 6 teeth, and the other had a whallop of a black eye.

But if you're concerned as much about the well-being of your teeth as your mom is, then your best bet is to get a full face-guard. For the record, I'm about 5'8, and have nearly had the puck hit me in the face more than once, and have been high-sticked a couple times, too. So if you're small like me, then go with the full-guard. I'm seriously considering getting one myself.

indigosurf is offline   Reply With Quote