HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RPG vs Dyanaic Duo

View Poll Results: Best line in Ducks history?
Kariya-Rucchin-Selanne 18 48.65%
Ryan-Getzlaf-Perry (predicted) 17 45.95%
Even 2 5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-30-2009, 10:48 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

vCash: 90
RPG vs Dyanaic Duo

Yes, this is based on predictions.

What is the better line? What Kariya-Rucchin-Selanne did in 97 (109, 99, and 62 points) (or maybe 99)? Or what you anticipate the Ryan-Getzlaf-Perry line will do this season? If they stay together, I'd anticipate something like 90, 85, 80 points.

Of course there's some caveats. Will RPG even stay a line all season (probably not knowing Carlyle)? Will they be split up on the PP to get Teemu in? New NHL vs early-to-mid 90s offensive explosion.

Kariya and Selanne were a sight to behold in 97. So much speed. They hadn't moved the nets a couple feet further away from the end-boards, meaning the offensive zone was smaller. But then the bigger neutral zone actually helped them since it meant they had more skating room without worrying about offsides.

On the other hand, the current trio is more balanced as all three are better than Rucchin. They also can really dominate physically (see end of last season, the Kings game). But Getzlaf is also coming off of that hernia injury. And there's the uncertainty of the season that hasn't happened yet.

Which do you prefer?

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 10:57 PM
Static

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Static
Pre-Suter Kariya was the best out of the six players listed, but I'm inclined to take the three kids because of the third play maker that Rucc just wasn't. I'm too lazy to type anything else on my phone.

Static is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 11:17 PM
Paul4587

It's getting closer but it's still Kariya - Rucchin - Selanne.

Kariya and Selanne were unbelievable when they played together in their prime. Getzlaf may be the best out of all 6 (although it's debatable), but Kariya and Selanne combined are ahead of where Getzlaf and Ryan are right now, enough to offset the difference between Perry and Rucchin.

If RPG plays together all year and dominates like they did during stretches of the playoffs they'll probably surpass them.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 11:17 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
Pre-Suter Kariya was the best out of the six players listed, but I'm inclined to take the three kids because of the third play maker that Rucc just wasn't. I'm too lazy to type anything else on my phone.
97 Selanne wasn't far behind, he's probably better than any of the 3 guys we have now too.

The more I think about it, the more I think it's no contest. Because of the terms of the poll. You have to go with 1997 Mighty Ducks, they were all in the primes of their careers. For 2009, Ryan might have a sophomore slump. Getzlaf is possibly hobbled by injury. And all 3 of RPG are still very young. The better comparison would probably be the modern line at whatever you expect their peak to be.

Old
09-30-2009, 11:32 PM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
The current line just has that nastiness and grind element that I love though, so it's probably just personal preference. Playoff wise they've both led their team past a round (with lot of help from goaltending) but the team Getzlafs line defeated was far superior to the yotes, so that gives them a boost in my mind.

Static is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2009, 11:48 PM
BraveSirRobin
Ducks offseason

Send a message via MSN to BraveSirRobin
I would say Kariya-Rucchin-Selanne right now, although in a season or two that could change. As much as I (and probably most Ducks fans) dislike Kariya now, in 96-97 he was perhaps one of the best players in the league, with Teemu right up there with him. They were just amazing that season. I remember one of the first Ducks games I saw on TV was that season against Toronto, and those two players completely dominated the entire team. It was no contest. I also have a soft spot for Rucchin, as he was one of my favorite players as a kid.

If they reach their potential though, I think the kids will be a better line. Getzlaf and Perry can physically dominate games, something PK and Teemu couldn't do, and I think that says a lot there about the kids. Also QP has the potential to be a consistent 30-40 goal man, while Perry will continue to be a despised super pest. However, this is all working on "what ifs", so take it with a grain of salt.

Slightly OT, but does anyone see Perry's career potential to be similar to that of Pat Verbeek? I know its a bit soon to actually make that distinction, but at first glance it kind of seems like it. (Then again, I wasn't able to witness Verbeek's peak years, so I'm not 100% sure.)

BraveSirRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 12:23 AM
S.S. Giggy
RIP 1974-2011

So it's speed vs. physicality, eh? If you tell me, I'd take RPG without even blinking an eye simply because they're more durable. After 1997, either one of the 3 were almost always in the IR nursing their wounds and since we never had any other offense after those 3, the season when down whenever they went down. Here, I don't think the RPG trio would be suspect to major injuries as often as the KRS trio did back in the day simply because they're bigger and are more capable of handling bigger defensemen.

S.S. Giggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 12:38 AM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
97 Selanne wasn't far behind, he's probably better than any of the 3 guys we have now too.

The more I think about it, the more I think it's no contest. Because of the terms of the poll. You have to go with 1997 Mighty Ducks, they were all in the primes of their careers. For 2009, Ryan might have a sophomore slump. Getzlaf is possibly hobbled by injury. And all 3 of RPG are still very young. The better comparison would probably be the modern line at whatever you expect their peak to be.
This is the problem. Kariya/Selanne were top 5 forwards in the league for years together. Perry will never be that, but Getzlaf and Ryan might. Even so, they still have it to do. One half season isn't quite enough, although I don't think we're out of line to hope.

Spankatola Jamnuts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 01:30 AM
Elvs

vCash: 708
The dynamic duo... If it wasn't for Rucchin, the RPG line would have a hard time ever reaching them. Kariya and Selanne was just awesome, one of the most feared duos of all time. However, it's kind of hard to compare a duo to a whole line. Because as I mentioned, Rucchin sinks them here.

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 01:33 AM
Elvs

vCash: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S. Giggy View Post
So it's speed vs. physicality, eh? If you tell me, I'd take RPG without even blinking an eye simply because they're more durable. After 1997, either one of the 3 were almost always in the IR nursing their wounds and since we never had any other offense after those 3, the season when down whenever they went down. Here, I don't think the RPG trio would be suspect to major injuries as often as the KRS trio did back in the day simply because they're bigger and are more capable of handling bigger defensemen.
The rule changes should be taken very much into consideration for those injuries. Hence, it should even be taken into consideration when we talk about how good lines were. Imagine Kariya and Selanne back in the day with todays rules with no hookings and holdings.

Last edited by Elvs: 10-01-2009 at 04:06 AM.
Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 02:21 AM
Randall Graves*

Selanne and Kariya were both top 5 forwards during their dominance together but I like our trio because they've gotten it done in the playoffs and can do more things than score. Getzlaf is arguably a top 5 forward, Perry could be a 40 goal PPG'er and Ryan could be the type of power forward every team looks for when they draft. These three will be Ducks for life no question they are the faces of the franchise

In fact I think this is Perry's breakout season he's been getting underrated due to Mr. Ryan and Mr. Getzlaf but I believe this is the year he gets to 40 goals because now he'll also have Bobby Ryan feeding him pucks and I feel Perry does all the little things that help a team win he takes a lot of punishment and it goes unnoticed a bit

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 09:23 AM
Twindad*
Father of Twins

The duo was terribly exciting to watch, they could bring you out of your seat just rushing down the ice, while the RPG line seems slow and methodical in comparison.

Strike fast=the ambiguously gay duo

I think Getzlaf rules the roost as far as all around player, while Teemu rules in goals.

Tough choice, but I have to go with Gary and Ace.

Twindad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 01:37 PM
duckster24

Still trying to figure out what "dyanaic" means.... ;-)

duckster24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Theridion

Could I take Kariya-Getzlaf-Selanne?

I personally take Ryan-Getz-Perry. I had season seats from the first season through about early 2000's. I saw a lot of Kariya and Selanne.

If we are talking about the 'game changes', Kariya and Selanne got hurt by the trapping and clutch and grab...

Their breakaways were amazing... amazing because of their 2 on 1 or 2 on 0's. They had them repeatedly every game and the most amazing aspect was that they really burried their chances on those breakaways.

However, I don't think the Kariya/Selanne line was as well rounded as the Getz/Selanne line. Maybe those two individually could dominate teams, I don't think they could control the game as well as our RPG.

You know, there's so many times that bad teams have a couple young superstars who put up massive points, but the team really doesn't succeed, in the regular season and also the playoffs.

I know our supporting cast has done nothing but improve since Kariya left, but I think RPG is a line that dominates and can go up against any team's top line... shut them down... and STILL be a scoring threat.

The RPG line is a line that you have on your championship team. Kariya/Selanne was almost an offensive freakshow. I don't know how much of that sentiment is the supporting cast, but just my opinion.

Theridion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 10:30 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckster24 View Post
Still trying to figure out what "dyanaic" means.... ;-)
That's a pretty impressive typo. Normally my typos make sense, like they're the right letters in the wrong order (some fingers got too twitchy). Or the wrong letter is at least physically close to the right letter (missed the key).

I have no idea what's going on with dyanaic.

Old
10-02-2009, 05:34 AM
Fighter
Soviet Duck

vCash: 692
For now the dynamic duo is still on a level on its own, but it's getting closer.

I really hope that in a pair of years, the dynamic duo will be remembered as the second best line ever for the Ducks.

Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote