HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Cam Ward Signs 6 Year Extension

Old
10-01-2009, 11:22 AM
JustinCider

vCash: 500
I think he's worth every cent, the guy is a top 5 goalie in the league IMO, and he has a stanley cup and a conn smythe. The guy is a game changer.

JustinCider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 11:22 AM
neofury*

Amazing signing and an organization I've grown to like over the years. (Though I hate their jerseys and consider them a rival, I like their management and Cam Ward so it's win/win in my opinion)

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 11:56 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by elriz View Post
I'm not in favour of overpaying young players based on potential, for every Rick Nash there is a Shawn Horcoff or a Scott Gomez or worse. To say you should overpay for potential hoping people turn out is how you get a team that's salary-screwed. It's not the norm and just because there may be a trend going around doesn't mean its a good idea.

Oh man, heaven forbid you require a player to live up to a contract before you give it to them. What could possibly go wrong by giving a non top-3 goalie top-3 money for 6 years?

Inflated contracts to unproven players is what will absolutely cripple teams as time goes on and people are starting to learn that lesson now.
No there isn't a Shawn Horcoff for every Rick Nash, plus the Gomez's of the NHL are a different breed being overpaid UFA signings. First off, would you classify Horcoff as a "Young franchise player"? Yes that was a brutal contract, partially because Horcoff was signing into his UFA years he got more money, but that's why it's a GM's job to decide who's worth the money. With 30 teams in the league of course you're going to have a mistake here or there, but that's not going to scare GM's away from doing it.

The worst case alternative scenario was highlighted in Buffalo a couple years ago. Coming off a single strong season, Briere was 1 year away from UFA and wanted a long term $5M per year contract, Drury was in the same boat but a bit more proven. Darcy Regier basically pulled the 'prove it's not a fluke' routine and signed them to 1 year deals for $3-3.5M. So they proved themselves again, then that off season flipped Regier the bird and walked into free agency for the big bucks.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 01:38 PM
elriz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
The worst case alternative scenario was highlighted in Buffalo a couple years ago. Coming off a single strong season, Briere was 1 year away from UFA and wanted a long term $5M per year contract, Drury was in the same boat but a bit more proven. Darcy Regier basically pulled the 'prove it's not a fluke' routine and signed them to 1 year deals for $3-3.5M. So they proved themselves again, then that off season flipped Regier the bird and walked into free agency for the big bucks.
and now Drury and Briere have never duplicated their Buffalo totals and are overpaid anchors to their respective teams' cap. Seems, capwise, like things worked out well for Buffalo and poorly for other teams because of speculative contracts of their potential.

yes, Buffalo had a chance to sign both at 5 million which you could consider reasonable, it would be a "good" salary for a forward who is putting up the kinds of points they are now. But you can't compare that kind of salary to Ward's 6.3 million, which places his salary above a multitude of good, great and elite goaltenders. Ward has been a good goaltender always, but only a elite goaltender once -- in a post season 4 years gone.

Anyways, to bring this back to reality, we're just arguing over an extra million dollars, it's not the end of the world.

elriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2009, 01:50 PM
CioCio

Quote:
Originally Posted by elriz View Post
and now Drury and Briere have never duplicated their Buffalo totals and are overpaid anchors to their respective teams' cap. Seems, capwise, like things worked out well for Buffalo and poorly for other teams because of speculative contracts of their potential.
If hockey systems were one gelatinous pool where all are one and one are all, maybe, but the bottom line is that for two seasons running, Buffalo's attack plan of Briere and Drury as their top line centers was to be feared. They earned their present contracts because of their success in Buffalo. Remember in the conference semis two seasons ago where Buffalo was down by 1 and about to lose the game to the Rags, when Captain Clutch came in and almost willed Buffalo a goal? That was a common occurrence for the club and you always knew goals were coming with the Sabres. I doubt you'll find many Sabres that point to that offseason where they lost both as a source of pride for the club, even if it is satisfying to see them struggle elsewhere and even if Buffalo is a genuinely good hockey team. That aside, Ward has done extremely well with an actual defensive system in place under Maurice, and fared okay under Lavy's system of sustaining odd man rushes and terrible pinching. As long as he's given support like the other top goaltenders in the league are, Ward has proven himself to be one of the best netminders in the league.

CioCio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 09:43 AM
SeventyOne*

makes the MAF deal look all that more sweeeeeet!

SeventyOne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 03:52 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyOne View Post
makes the MAF deal look all that more sweeeeeet!
Good point. Never thought of that.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 04:09 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalowing88 View Post
Ward's a better goalie than Fleury, dont let one great save and a cup change your mind. Im not faulting you as a lot of goalies get overweighted by that criteria, but if im looking for a goalie for a full season, I'm taking Ward. I've seen them both play every game (fleury on tv granted) and M.A. has more talent but he doesent back up the net consistently like Ward.
One great save? Fleury stole some games in the playoffs, but was inconsistent at times. Same can be said for Ward. Both goalies played on their heads at times, and both goalies looked shattered at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Naked View Post
Ward >> Fleury, not even close. This is the same Fleury that has been wildly inconsistent throughout his entire pro career right? Ward is a top 5 Goalie, Fleury might be top 10.
Uh. Ward has also been wildly inconsistent thus far in his career. I would put both somewhere 5-10 in the league

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 05:10 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
One great save? Fleury stole some games in the playoffs, but was inconsistent at times. Same can be said for Ward. Both goalies played on their heads at times, and both goalies looked shattered at times.

Uh. Ward has also been wildly inconsistent thus far in his career. I would put both somewhere 5-10 in the league
False. Ward was rock solid until the Pittsburgh series. Game in, Game out.

And last year Ward was nothing if not consistent. He had a great year.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 06:39 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
False. Ward was rock solid until the Pittsburgh series. Game in, Game out.

And last year Ward was nothing if not consistent. He had a great year.
OK? Fleury stole games in every series in the playoffs. And last year Ward was consistent, but what about the years before? And Ward's SNAFU completely deflated that team in game 4.

Like I said, he's a tremendous goaltender, and probably my favorite in the league, but to say that he is without question better than Fleury is false. When both goaltenders are on their game they are unbeatable, both have had trouble being consistent thus far in their young careers, and both will be elite goaltenders in this league for a long time.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Staal, long-term.

Ward, long-term.

Jim Rutherford has set his team up with a solid, proven core for years to come.

Trottier is online now   Reply With Quote