HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

LA/Edm

Old
10-02-2009, 03:25 PM
JustinCider

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivelikejoewho View Post
Very simple. We needed an upgrade on the top 6, specifically a left wing, we needed a player that plays like Smyth (goes to net and gets his hands dirty) and we were kinda outta options after all the top FA's signed elsewhere. He didn't cost the Kings much and we had the CAP room. I am surprised there weren't more threads about him in the summer considering Kings fans were aware DL actively pursued him at the deadline. I guess the asking price then was Bernier and Hickey (if I'm not mistaken) so I guess everyone thought that was out of the question.

One of the biggest things to consider when you bring up Smyth's salary is we were able to dump off Tom Preissing which mitigates some of the cost. When you subtract Preissing's $2.75m cap hit, leaves Smyth's CAP hit at $3.5m net for the next 2 seasons which the team would've paid Preissing (who is already on the IR I might add) to sit in the press box.
I just see Frolov as a much better left winger than Smyth. Can you guys afford to keep them both?

JustinCider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 03:36 PM
nullmeatbag

How about:

Brown
Stoll

for

Cogliano
Gilbert
Nilsson/prospect/pick

nullmeatbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 03:42 PM
santiclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCider View Post
I just see Frolov as a much better left winger than Smyth. Can you guys afford to keep them both?
Kings' brass is not real high on Frolov, believe it or not. I don't think he'll be around much longer.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCider View Post
They can if they could get him to sign for <$5m which I really think is doable long term. His last deal ended up being less than $3m for long term. He likes LA and he is a fan favorite. Unfortunately, DL and company seem to have it out for him. I guess they don't think he cares as much as he should. They always bring up the fact that he has played here for 6 or 7 seasons and never been to the playoffs and seem to suggest it really doesn't bother him like it should. Long story short, not many people expect him to be around after July 1, 2010 even though many don't want that to be the case.

I have a feeling Frolov will be DL's biggest mistake. Not everyone has the character of Ryan Smyth et al. He can be inconsistent but he is consistently our highest goal scorer. DL admitted last season that LW is not just an organizational weakness but the list of UFA LW's is short every year. DL has also manage to push out just about all Dave Taylor draft picks and personnel outside of Frolov, Brown, Quick and Kopitar.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldonnbbaker View Post
How about:

Brown
Stoll

for