HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Burrows

Closed Thread

Old
10-02-2009, 05:51 PM
Ticonderoga

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
...and what did you honestly think this thread was going to become? Did you think there would be cooperation and a discovery of the cure for cancer? It's no surprise considering how stupid this thread started off, how stupid the middle was, and how stupid it continues to be.
Yeah not surprised, pretty much my point.

Old
10-02-2009, 05:51 PM
HSD19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
It's more surprise than a persecution complex. For a franchise that is supposedly so insignificant, I don't understand all the obsessive fans that seem to care more about the Canucks than their own team. I simply don't get it.
I agree, its actually quite funny how much we are hated we must be doing something right.

Old
10-02-2009, 05:53 PM
VanCity Millionaires

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4D View Post
they also have kesler and luongo and the sisters so it is no surprise that burrows fits right in
Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
It's true. Burrows is a solid player signed to a reasonable cap hit.
Brilliant rebuttal. L4D you are a ****ing tool. Welcome to my ignore list.

Old
10-02-2009, 05:56 PM
Hooker

Quote:
okay okay since i struck a nerve so bad ill stop, guess it isnt that fair to kick a team when theyre already down
haha lol tru

How old are you, anyway?

Old
10-02-2009, 05:58 PM
Canucks5551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooker View Post
haha lol tru

How old are you, anyway?
I'd put the over/under at 12

Old
10-02-2009, 05:59 PM
Demko

Quote:
at least calgary has players that can actually pick it up in the playoffs, but the canucks are run by choke artists. let me know when they actually do anything besides beat pathetic teams in easy playoff rounds

Sorry did you pick it up last year when you guys got eliminated FIRST ROUND? Or was it the year before where you got eliminated first round?

Old
10-02-2009, 05:59 PM
Hooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucks5551 View Post
I'd put the over/under at 12
The point of the over/under is not to guess what his age is, it's to put it at the breaking point. Nobody is going to guess over 12, so it's probably better to set it at about 9.

Old
10-02-2009, 06:01 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
The point of the over/under is not to guess what his age is, it's to put it at the breaking point. Nobody is going to guess over 12, so it's probably better to set it at about 9.
Gimme $50 on 6

Seriously though, what's with all the Canuck/Burrows hate? Burrows is a great player, a great story with how he rose from the depths of nothing, and a very good pest.

I can guarantee you this: if Calgary had the opportunity to get him, Calgary fans would love him!

10-02-2009, 06:06 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Ignoring L4D's idiocy, I'll address the original question...

Burrows is a guy you LOVE to have on your team, but oh boy do you HATE to play against him. He brings it every night, he goes 110%, he scores in the clutch, he goes to the dirty areas, he will stand up for himself, he drives other teams mad(i.e.--getting Phaneuf to take a silly shot at him) and he agitates the bejesus out of everyone not wearing Canuck colours. The added bonus here is that he's a talented player signed to a reasonable cap hit--all reasons he's well loved here in Vancouver.

Burrows is not the first, nor will he be the last player in the league like this.

Steve Ott and Jarkko Ruutu are examples of guys I absolutely detest playing against, but would oh so love to have on my team. These guys are effective at playing their roles, and they play them to a T.

Does Burrows ham things up? Definitely. Does he play dirty? Absolutely. But every single team would love to have a guy like him, and Vancouver and their fans DO love having him.

~Canucklehead~

Old
10-02-2009, 06:06 PM
uzziman

Send a message via MSN to uzziman
Quote:
okay okay since i struck a nerve so bad ill stop, guess it isnt that fair to kick a team when theyre already down
You are aware that this was only game 1 of 82 right? You really shouldn't be this excited over one victory.

Old
10-02-2009, 06:07 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

You guys need to kiss and make up!

Old
10-02-2009, 06:09 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauser View Post

Seriously though, what's with all the Canuck/Burrows hate? Burrows is a great player, a great story with how he rose from the depths of nothing, and a very good pest.

I can guarantee you this: if Calgary had the opportunity to get him, Calgary fans would love him!
It's called a 'rivalry'...

Burrows rose through the leagues to get to where he is now, absolutely. For that, he gets my respect. But I think you answered your own question with why there's hate for the Canucks / Burrows.... it's the fact that he's a 'pest', as you said exactly. And one that does things to irk his opponents and their respective fan bases.

Other than that... would love to see Burrows in Calgary. Much like Canucks fans would love to see Phaneuf in Vancouver, as much as they wouldn't admit it. I can admit, atleast, that I would like to see Burrows in Calgary... as long as he doesn't go ovreboard. He's a similar agitator to Ville Neiminen, who was really effective for us during the 2004 playoffs. Nothing wrong with that.

Old
10-02-2009, 06:11 PM
Matata

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
It's more surprise than a persecution complex. For a franchise that is supposedly so insignificant, I don't understand all the obsessive fans that seem to care more about the Canucks than their own team. I simply don't get it.
After the flames, the nucks are the team I pay the most attention to. Why? I consider it the closest, longest lasting and most heated rivalry in the western conference. Their success directly effects the flames success and vice versa. As for the rest of HF, I dunno, maybe they just find you guys annoying and are looking for excuses to dog-pile? (edit: HF has an abundance of flames hate too)

Shirokov has not gotten enough love in this thread. He'd routinely drop to ice in agony, only to be magically healed when he realized no call would be made. I guess the refs were tired of getting embarrassed.

Last edited by Matata: 10-02-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old
10-02-2009, 06:14 PM
SonicY
Ad hominem

How can Flames fans support a lazy headhunting defenseman who, instead of playing for his country, goes on a vacation in Jamaica?

See? Baseless, un-intelligible insults work both ways.

In all seriousness, this has to end. I seriously think Flames fans are resenting the press and prognostication that the Nucks are getting out of the gate. I really think it's unfortunate, because both teams are extremely solid, and have great chances at winning the NW... but for some reason, we're turning what should be a civil rivalry into Rangers-Celtic.

Old
10-02-2009, 06:16 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
It's called a 'rivalry'...

Burrows rose through the leagues to get to where he is now, absolutely. For that, he gets my respect. But I think you answered your own question with why there's hate for the Canucks / Burrows.... it's the fact that he's a 'pest', as you said exactly. And one that does things to irk his opponents and their respective fan bases.

Other than that... would love to see Burrows in Calgary. Much like Canucks fans would love to see Phaneuf in Vancouver, as much as they wouldn't admit it. I can admit, atleast, that I would like to see Burrows in Calgary... as long as he doesn't go ovreboard. He's a similar agitator to Ville Neiminen, who was really effective for us during the 2004 playoffs. Nothing wrong with that.
I agree with this, but when people start saying "oh how can you support a guy like Burrows, blah blah blah" it really makes no sense. How could Colorado and other teams support a guy like Claude Lemieux? How could the Oilers support Esa Tikkanen? etc.

Old
10-02-2009, 06:18 PM
Hooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicY View Post
How can Flames fans support a lazy headhunting defenseman who, instead of playing for his country, goes on a vacation in Jamaica?

See? Baseless, un-intelligible insults work both ways.

In all seriousness, this has to end. I seriously think Flames fans are resenting the press and prognostication that the Nucks are getting out of the gate. I really think it's unfortunate, because both teams are extremely solid, and have great chances at winning the NW... but for some reason, we're turning what should be a civil rivalry into Rangers-Celtic.
I just want L4D's next recess to hurry up so he can post a few more thoughts.

Old
10-02-2009, 06:23 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkForest91 View Post
How can Canucks fans support a guy like this...

You know how we can support him cause not only did he put up 28 goals last year and our best PKer and one of our top shut down players as well, he pisses off the other team players and their fans just to damn good!.

Old
10-02-2009, 06:24 PM
ILuvLucic*

Okay we get it Burrows is annoying.

Old
10-02-2009, 06:25 PM
SonicY
Ad hominem

Quote:
I just want L4D's next recess to hurry up so he can post a few more thoughts.
The juvenile nature of this Canucks-Flames rivalry (from both sides, in every medium, from the message boards, to radio stations to the mainstream media) is really ridiculous, especially when you look at some of the nmore storied rivalries in NHL history.

Leafs-Habs. Way more years behind it. Far more Stanley Cups behind. Far more incident to produce vitriol and hate behind it. Yet I never see a Habs fan posting a "LOL Cheapshot STAJAN!!!" or Leafs fans putting up a "Hey MARKOV, how's your ANKLE!?!?" thread on the main board.

Because, on the whole, they are better than that. They are better than us. Because we are children.

And, on the whole, the Canucks-Flames rivalry is like a competition the kid with the Headgear and the kid who wears the Unicorn sweater have in grade 4 over who knows the names of more Inyuyasha episodes and who has mined the biggest snot-gob from the depths of their nostrils.

It's pathetic.

Old
10-02-2009, 06:30 PM
Hooker

What? Is this your first time through the main board?

Old
10-02-2009, 06:33 PM
Teemu

This has gone on long enough

Closed Thread