HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs vs. Caps| OCT. 3 | 7.00 PM ET | CBC (HD)

Closed Thread

Old
10-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Scoogs

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymeno View Post
Say what you want about Finger, but he did somehow manage 23 points (6 goals) in 66 games last year. Even with the contract I take him over Exelby any day.
I'll have to agree. I don't want XLB touching the puck... Ever.

Old
10-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Vice

Nice job on the GDT.

Hoping the Leafs can keep it close, but with Toskala in net, I just don't know..maybe Ovechkin has an off night(slim hope)

Old
10-02-2009, 08:52 PM
IBleedBlueAndWhite*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BLUE View Post
can Vesa Raycroft rebound?
I highly doubt ...Its Toskalaff we are talking about here. First Ovy shot will go in Mark my word. He cant even hold his own against those smurfs he will get killed by the caps offense. My prediction stands 7-1 he will let in 7 first period goals.

Old
10-02-2009, 08:53 PM
IBleedBlueAndWhite*

PROVE me Wrong Toskalaff.

Old
10-02-2009, 08:54 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Don't have a good feeling about this one..

but..

GO LEAFS GO1!!!!111!

Old
10-02-2009, 08:56 PM
Vice

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedBlueAndWhite View Post
I highly doubt ...Its Toskalaff we are talking about here. First Ovy shot will go in Mark my word. He cant even hold his own against those smurfs he will get killed by the caps offense. My prediction stands 7-1 he will let in 7 first period goals.
Wilson wouldn't leave him in long enough to allow 7 goals in the 1st period.

Old
10-02-2009, 08:57 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Excited for this game. First Saturday game of the season

Old
10-02-2009, 08:57 PM
BIG BLUE

well...our team wasn't very good last year and we split the series with Washington...so Ovy and the boys didn't run us out of the rink...and we definitely are a better team.

Old
10-02-2009, 08:58 PM
iceblue

Toskala was brutal in the preseason but I was actually impressed with his play last night. No stops were as spectacular as the one Gus made on that 2 on 1 vs Detroit but he was still far better than he was during the preseason.

That said, I still think the Leafs are in for a beating tomorrow night. If they win, now that would be both impressive and a miracle.

Old
10-02-2009, 08:59 PM
BIG BLUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceblue View Post
Toskala was brutal in the preseason but I was actually impressed with his play last night. No stops were as spectacular as the one Gus made on that 2 on 0 vs Detroit but he was still far better than he was during the preseason.

That said, I still think the Leafs are in for a beating tomorrow night. If they win, now that would be both impressive and a miracle.
fixed

Old
10-02-2009, 09:00 PM
iceblue

Quote:
fixed
LOL. I knew that, but guess it has been too long since we had a goalie that could do that.

Old
10-02-2009, 09:02 PM
IBleedBlueAndWhite*

ok fine i say 5-0 nothing then. all 5 goals in the first period...god i hope im wrong and hes rock solid tomorow..if hes really strong in goal i say we win 3-2. GO LEAFS GO!

Old
10-02-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapniappe View Post
Things I'm hoping for this game.

1: The defense shapes up 100 percent, because they all [but Kaberle] sucked yesterday. I honestly think it was opening night jitters (one should hope).

2: Toskala, as decent as he was, needs to step it up and not be the "One Goal a Game" Goaltender. As much as the defense sucked two of those goals he needed to have and we would have had 2 points. If he had stopped one, totally different game.

3: More quality shots. It is well and good to have 45 shots on goal, but if they are at the chest of the goaltender, very rare to get the rebound. just shoot, and rush the net.

4: More passing, less puck hogging. You know who you are, GRABO and BLAKE.

5: Speaking of Blake - for God sakes, please, stop acting as if you wanted to be on Battle of the Blades with that spin and shoot thinger. Just... pass it normally.

6: Less turnovers

That's about it

And this is one really nice GDT, and I agree - it's nice to talk about it a day or two earlier, and then go into depth on game day
Better add Hagman to that list too.

And that's one of the things I can't stand about Blake. When has it worked? When does it ever work? 90% of the time he just turns the puck over doing it and the other 10% he just turns the puck over too. It's such a useless play.

I'm hoping Toskala gets absolutely destroyed. 4 or 5 soft goals so we can see Gustavsson next game.

Old
10-02-2009, 09:42 PM
zeke
#freewilly

I don't think this game will be nearly as lopsided as people seem to think.

We're going to have a helluva time containing their top line, for sure, but their suspect defense corps is going to have as much problem handling our top-3 lines as the Habs did - and I'm not sure either of their goalies will be able to do what Price did to us last game.

I predict a high scoring game on both sides. Hopefully they go with Theodore instead of Varlamov, though, to at least even up the goaltending.

Old
10-02-2009, 09:58 PM
Daisy Joy
Leafs Optimist :)

See, if I were Wilson, I'd bench Blake every time he did that move until he realised that move sucks. It DOESN'T WORK. (unless you are doing a shootout). Like it cheeses me off. He does it, and then you KNOW the puck is going the wrong way. I'm surprised that his line mates don't anticipate it and just hang back for the inevitable turnover.

Why do you all think that we need a a blowout loss to see Gustavasson? If I were a betting girl, we'd see him after the game next saturday (Since tuesday is the only game during the week, Toskala would probably get this one, and the Saturday one as well). Why the whole "LET'S LOSE!" mentality?

Old
10-02-2009, 10:25 PM
Solaris

Quote:
well...our team wasn't very good last year and we split the series with Washington...so Ovy and the boys didn't run us out of the rink...and we definitely are a better team.
That's right, IIRC Schenn did a decent job of shutting down Ovechkin last year, let's see how he does this time around after a not-so-good game.

And to the Toskala haters, if Toskala does stink it up this season and we're left to rely on an unproven rookie goalie, then this team will go down in flames early. So you better HOPE he steps his game up because if we want a sniff at the playoffs then we need BOT Gustavsson AND Toskala at their best.

Old
10-02-2009, 10:31 PM
not quite yoda

the only logical reason that explains wilson playing toskala is to protect the monster. he s young and inexperienced. if he fails while being given the no1 job right off the bat it may be tough to recover.

having said all that, i think the monster is more than ready to dominate. i suspect wilson has the same feeling, therefore wilson insisting on toskala is wilson consciously giving the leafs a worse chance at winning.

the monster will be fine. start him.

Old
10-02-2009, 10:35 PM
MSP4LYFE*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymeno View Post
That's right, IIRC Schenn did a decent job of shutting down Ovechkin last year, let's see how he does this time around after a not-so-good game.

And to the Toskala haters, if Toskala does stink it up this season and we're left to rely on an unproven rookie goalie, then this team will go down in flames early. So you better HOPE he steps his game up because if we want a sniff at the playoffs then we need BOT Gustavsson AND Toskala at their best.
He never "shutdown" OV, but he did contain him somehwat during our games against the Caps last season.

Old
10-02-2009, 10:55 PM
Solaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSP4LYFE View Post
He never "shutdown" OV, but he did contain him somehwat during our games against the Caps last season.
Well it's damn near impossible to shut him down, so that's why I said he did a "decent" job of it, it was promising to see nonetheless.

Old
10-02-2009, 10:56 PM
dacoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by not quite yoda View Post
the only logical reason that explains wilson playing toskala is to protect the monster.
ya, Toskala being a proven NHL starter and making $4 mil a year has nothing to do with it. It's all about protecting the monster.... It's a fact, the Leafs need a good season out of both Toskala and Gustavson to get close or into the playoffs. We have no first rd pick this year, so the higher we finish the less an impact those picks we traded for Kessel have (not disparaging the trade, I was all for it).

Old
10-02-2009, 11:00 PM
init2winit

Just a heads up, I am almost 100% positive that Varlamov will get the start. Bruce said he wants to get Varly into the season early and will start Saturday, so unless he changes his mind tomorrow it should be Varly.

Here's to a good game.

Old
10-02-2009, 11:04 PM
zeke
#freewilly

If Varly starts, we're likely screwed.

It would be nice if the Leafs gave THEIR talented young goalie some early games.

Old
10-02-2009, 11:07 PM
dacoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
If Varly starts, we're likely screwed.

It would be nice if the Leafs gave THEIR talented young goalie some early games.
hopefully he gets in every 3 or 4 games, that way tosk doesn't get over played and reinjure himself again. When he and Nabokov split time nearly game to game he was at his best, but Wilson would let one of them run a few games every now and then.

Old
10-02-2009, 11:08 PM
pigspigs76

Jay Rosehill>Jamal Mayers
Carl Gunnerson>XLB... Ian White...

Wish some of the younger guys could get more playing time to start the season to continue the momentum they had built up in the preseason. Some confidence at the next level

Should be an interesting one!

Old
10-02-2009, 11:12 PM
Solaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigspigs76 View Post
Jay Rosehill>Jamal Mayers
Carl Gunnerson>XLB... Ian White...

Wish some of the younger guys could get more playing time to start the season to continue the momentum they had built up in the preseason. Some confidence at the next level

Should be an interesting one!
I think it's wise to let Gunnarsson develop more in the AHL for now. He's shown lot's of promise but some time with the Marlies won't hurt. I think having him on the Leafs so early might hurt his confidence if he succumbs to the pressure, but I look forward to seeing what he can do later on in the season as a callup.

Closed Thread