HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#1 - 10.02.09 SEASON OPENER | NY Rangers @ Pittsburgh | 7:30 PM - MSG (HD)

Old
10-03-2009, 03:59 AM
ColonialsHockey10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
Henrik had great saves, I still think 2 out of the 3 GA were suspect

Girardi got hit like what, 20 times last night, played bad
Roszival got nothing done or achieved
Staal was good, blunders yeah, but solid overall
Redden had a good game
Gilroy was good for his first game, offensively and defensively
MDZ was a boy playing a man's game... overmatched

Gaborik showed flashes, not enough
Dubinsky seemed to lose every face-off, but showed effort
Callahan was pure energy, but achieved little
Prospal was ok, should have scored on the 2 on 1
Brashear added nothing and pretty much lost his fight
Boyle is useless
Higgins other than his assist invisible
Voros is usless and falls more than my girlfriend on the ice
Kotalik did he even play?
Drury a goal and a spirited effort... but where's his buffalo form?
Anisimov simply disappeared... nothing
Lisin had flashes but achieved nothing

PK was hectic running around like chickens w/out heads
PP improved a lot! They didn't get scored on shorthanded!
It was a much more positive game than this.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 05:48 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
It was a much more positive game than this.

Agreed. Plenty of work to do, but we have some talent. I think we will pound the Sens in front of the home crowd.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 05:48 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post

GET OUT OF MY BRAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've been saying this since the end of the Caps' game. I'd like either Higgins or Avery there. Avery and Dubi have seemed to chemistry going to back when Jagr was on the line.

Kovie pointed out that Prospal would work better with Drury and Kotalik, two shooters, and not as fast as Gaborik.

Oh, and Girardi really looked bad last night. When he's at his best, he's a nice 3rd-pairing D-man. Unfortunately, he's currently the 4th-most experinced D-man we have, and he's slated for a raise. With Sanguinetti, Sauer and McDonagh on the way, I maintain you CANNOT pay Girardi $2 million+, when the cap space is so razor thin.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 07:03 AM
bubba5

they need to be a little less agressive, d men can pinch but they are getting caught to often. They need to find a balance between what Renney did and what Torts wants to do.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 07:03 AM
Thefalkon

This team is built to lose in Tort's system; this lineup cannot try to win offensive shootouts. Our defense isn't what it was before.

Thefalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 07:27 AM
chosen

• Rozy looked solid
  • Zots needs to add a lot of strength
  • Drury looked as good as I've ever seen him as a Ranger
  • Gaborik and Callahan were the 2 best forwards
  • It's going to be fun when Anisimov is playing with the right guys and he gains a little more confidence
  • Kotalik is exactly what we thought. Nice shot, little else

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 07:49 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
  • Rozy looked solid
  • It's going to be fun when Anisimov is playing with the right guys and he gains a little more confidence
I agree with most of this except Rozsival. I don't think he did as terribly as some people are saying, but he seemed hesitant and not really confident in what he was doing.

Yeah Del Zotto needs to add some strength, but I thought he looked fine...not really sure where people are getting the "he was overmatched" thing from. He was a little jittery and made a few rookie mistakes, but I also thought he didn't really have a problem processing the speed of the game, which is usually the biggest thing when it comes to young defensemen being able to handle things. When the Rangers got scrambly in their own end, that was probably when he struggled the most, because the entire team was scrambling and it looked hectic.

Don't know why people are bashing Callahan...he played well. Anisimov looks like he needs to get comfortable all over again, and yeah, Kotalik had several nice shots but doesn't do a lot other than that. However, if he keeps getting those shots, he'll score the goals that are expected of him

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 07:55 AM
Matt4776
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
Henrik had great saves, I still think
PP improved a lot! They didn't get scored on shorthanded!
Made me laugh.

Matt4776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 07:57 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfrk View Post
This team is built to lose in Tort's system; this lineup cannot try to win offensive shootouts. Our defense isn't what it was before.
What was it before though? It was the same thing only with Mara and Morris. We basically lost a 5th and 6th defenseman. It will hurt in the short run, but I think we will be much better off in the long run with Gilory and Del Zotto.

It was inevitable that yesterday's game would be a learning experience given we were playing the team that won the cup last season, in their home arena, and the day of their banner raising. I'm surprised they kept it as close as it was

By the way, it's amazing what one great player can do to a team. This is the first time in a while that I've actually seen an opponent genuinely scrambling around and on their toes consistently in the defensive end. it just didn't happen last season

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 08:08 AM
Levitate

I've been saying this for years, but I think the Rangers are ultimately trying to be like those Buffalo teams of a few years back. This year they're much closer to that. Last year they started out trying to be that, but had to pull back.

But a fast, aggressive team that has multiple lines as a scoring threat...hopefully it comes together. The defense needs to improve but again, I think that's something we'll see with time

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 08:09 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
The defense worries me mightily though.
Ditto. For a change, Redden was not a part of the problem. He had those quiet nights that signified that he quietly did what he was supposed to. Given his contract however, I am not sure that should be the baromoteter.

Rozsival looks the way he has always looked when not playing with Jagr on the ice...pretty poor.

I have never understood Sather's desire to have a defense constructed of all puck-moving defensemen. Since the lockout, the defense has had the same issues. The lack of physical intensity also has me worried. That has also been a staple of this team since the lockout.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 08:18 AM
chosen

• Rozy looked solid

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 08:21 AM
Pruch025

Some people just want to be eternally negative. It's one game.

This is the system now. You win and lose this way.

I am proud of this team. A whole bunch of new players and young kids and they hung with the Stanley Cup champs in their building on the night they had the cup ceremony (more pumped up than usual).

It's gonna take time to mesh and learn, while having the young kids become more comfortable.

The only negative I took from this gave was Rozy. He just has lost it in terms of confidence. The odd man rushes thing was a lot but that WILL improve as soon as they get the system down pat which will take some time.

Pruch025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 08:32 AM
BOXPLAY

Send a message via AIM to BOXPLAY
Quote:
  • Rozy looked solid
couldn't agree more with this especially on your Drury comment his

faceoffs early were horrible losing i think everyone against

Crosbaby,but other than faceoffs one of his best games as a ranger

BOXPLAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 08:35 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Drury, Callahan, Dubinsky, Voros, Girardi, Staal, Rozsival, Redden, Lundqvist were the only Rangers from last year in the lineup last night. That means out of 19 players, only 47% were on the team last year.

The Pens had 17 players who played last night on their roster last season. Bill Guerin, Brooks Orpik,Chris Kunitz, Craig Adams, Eric Godard, Evgeni Malkin, Jordan Staal, Kris Letang, Mark Eaton,Matt Cooke, Pascal Dupuis, Ruslan Fedotenko, Sergei Gonchar, Sidney Crosby, Tyler Kennedy, Marc-Andre Fleury. That totals to 89.5% of their roster from last year.

They were the Cup Champions who are almost the same team as last year at home, on their banner raising night. There's a huge difference between that and a team who half the players never played a regular season game together.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 08:42 AM
SomebodySaveKreider

I think Del Zotto looked much better than a lot of people here are saying.

He's a rookie, he played like a rookie. I don't know what people are expecting.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 08:42 AM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangersfan1416 View Post
3rd line of Lisin/Anisimov/Kotalik was a bit invisible. I'll hold judgement on those players, however Lisin failed to get a puck out of the zone that led to the 3rd goal.
So did Anisimov about 3 seconds later. If you're going to blame one on that goal, you have to blame both, IMHO.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 09:00 AM
rholt168
Hank**3

I think Del Zotto showed flashes of how good he can be and then showed that he is only 19 years old. He will get better. The Rangers should have won this game, Fluery just stood on his head and bailed out the Pens. Now I know what it was like for Washington in the playoffs.

rholt168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 09:05 AM
Pruch025

Quote:
Originally Posted by rholt168 View Post
I think Del Zotto showed flashes of how good he can be and then showed that he is only 19 years old. He will get better. The Rangers should have won this game, Fluery just stood on his head and bailed out the Pens. Now I know what it was like for Washington in the playoffs.
You can't say that. If you are gonna say that, than the Pens could have scored 12 goals. They had so many oddman rushes and breakaways.

Pruch025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 09:13 AM
rholt168
Hank**3

They barely even hit the net on those breaks.

Old
10-03-2009, 09:14 AM
rholt168
Hank**3

But, I see what you mean.

Old
10-03-2009, 09:24 AM
PMNEWYORK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Drury, Callahan, Dubinsky, Voros, Girardi, Staal, Rozsival, Redden, Lundqvist were the only Rangers from last year in the lineup last night. That means out of 19 players, only 47% were on the team last year.

The Pens had 17 players who played last night on their roster last season. Bill Guerin, Brooks Orpik,Chris Kunitz, Craig Adams, Eric Godard, Evgeni Malkin, Jordan Staal, Kris Letang, Mark Eaton,Matt Cooke, Pascal Dupuis, Ruslan Fedotenko, Sergei Gonchar, Sidney Crosby, Tyler Kennedy, Marc-Andre Fleury. That totals to 89.5% of their roster from last year.

They were the Cup Champions who are almost the same team as last year at home, on their banner raising night. There's a huge difference between that and a team who half the players never played a regular season game together.
Yes, I think you nailed it right there.Excellent!!!!

PMNEWYORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 09:26 AM
PMNEWYORK

Quote:
Originally Posted by rholt168 View Post
No, 3-2 was the correct score, actually it was flattering as NY Rangers never were going to win this one.
Really, NYR fans should not be upset by the result but the Pens fans should be the ones asking questions of their team.

PMNEWYORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 09:27 AM
squishy

Quote:
  • Rozy looked solid
Agree completely, especially on the first and third. Was surprised to come in here after the game and see those two players getting trashed. (OK, I wasn't really "surprised", but I figured someone would point out that they looked markedly better than in the preseason....)

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 10:02 AM
rholt168
Hank**3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMNEWYORK View Post
No, 3-2 was the correct score, actually it was flattering as NY Rangers never were going to win this one.
Really, NYR fans should not be upset by the result but the Pens fans should be the ones asking questions of their team.
It could have been 3-1 Rangers at one point, so I disagree.