HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs vs. Caps| OCT. 3 | 7.00 PM ET | CBC (HD)

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2009, 12:17 AM
pigspigs76

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymeno View Post
I think it's wise to let Gunnarsson develop more in the AHL for now. He's shown lot's of promise but some time with the Marlies won't hurt. I think having him on the Leafs so early might hurt his confidence if he succumbs to the pressure, but I look forward to seeing what he can do later on in the season as a callup.
fair nuff... I was just impressed by his poise so early on in his career, although if it came down to it I think he could hold his own in the NHL based on what I have seen thus far. opps= point being that his awesome poise thus far would allow him to handle the pressure like Schenn did last year.... which reminds me, Schenn needs to step it up and erase some of those pesky danglers.

Old
10-03-2009, 01:06 AM
Mr_Fun
phil kesel fan

If the Leafs can get average goaltending (like they did on Thursday), the defense plays like they should (which they didn't do on Thursday) and the forwards can pot 3 or more goals (like they did on Thursday) this team stand a good chance to gain a minimum of one point.

My prediction: 4-3 Leafs -- shootout victory!

Old
10-03-2009, 08:33 AM
burke4life

Wooot Go Leafs Go!

Old
10-03-2009, 08:40 AM
Radomon

I'm really glad Finger gets the start over Exelby. He's more of a 7th d-man if you ask me.

Also, I'd really like Beauchemin to stop hitting guys in the offensive zone. It really gets him out of position. Maybe he just wanted to impress the home crowd the last game. But everyone already knows he can hit.

Mayers over Rosehill... I guess it's his chance to really prove himself. He gotta be superb on the PK, and get his hitting game on and play physical.

Old
10-03-2009, 09:08 AM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSP4LYFE View Post
I think they're both really weak on the back end TBH, I'm personally looking forward to the return of MVR, he's a very solid all around d-man.
I agree that MVR is the best of the 3 (Exelby-Finger-MVR)

That being said, we need to get Finger into as many games as we can. He isn't going any place for at least another 3 years.

Exelby and MVR have at least a little trade value (meaning we might get a 5th for Exelby and a 3rd for MVR).

Plus, i do like Finger, he's a solid bottom pairing guy, we can't hate on him for being overpaid.

I'll tell you a Toronto player thats overpaid = Vernon Wells

Old
10-03-2009, 09:19 AM
dubey
So hot right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radomon View Post
Also, I'd really like Beauchemin to stop hitting guys in the offensive zone. It really gets him out of position. Maybe he just wanted to impress the home crowd the last game. But everyone already knows he can hit.
I don't think it's Beauchemin. It looks like a set play that everyone on the Leafs defence is doing. The problem is that sometimes the defenceman pinches too early or the forward comes back too late to cover.

Old
10-03-2009, 09:47 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupca View Post
I agree that MVR is the best of the 3 (Exelby-Finger-MVR)
It would be nice to have another top 4 defender in the line up.

AO might be on a mission this year after coming up short in last year's playoffs.

Didn't see it but apparently he brushed aside Lucic the other night and had people talking. I could see him target the defenders who face him with some nasty body work. I don't think either Schenn or Komisarek are a match for him.

It will be interesting to see if Toskala plays deep tonight, because it could be over quickly if he does.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
10-03-2009, 09:48 AM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
I don't think it's Beauchemin. It looks like a set play that everyone on the Leafs defence is doing. The problem is that sometimes the defenceman pinches too early or the forward comes back too late to cover.
I agree, those all looked like set plays.

Wilson better change the game plan against the caps, cause Toskala is too weak to handle 45 shots from the Ovey and the Caps.

He'll get hung out to dry.

Old
10-03-2009, 09:50 AM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
It would be nice to have another top 4 defender in the line up.

AO might be on a mission this year after coming up short in last year's playoffs.

Didn't see it but apparently he brushed aside Lucic the other night and had people talking. I could see him target the defenders who face him with some nasty body work. I don't think either Schenn or Komisarek are a match for him.

It will be interesting to see if Toskala plays deep tonight, because it could be over quickly if he does.
I think Wilson needs to pair Komisarek and Beauchemin together against their top line. Those guys can play a punishing role and can 'some-what' handle Ovey.

Schenn just isn't fast or strong enough yet to play Ovey, he'll get eaten a live.

Old
10-03-2009, 09:51 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
I agree, those all looked like set plays.

Wilson better change the game plan against the caps, cause Toskala is too weak to handle 45 shots from the Ovey and the Caps.

He'll get hung out to dry.
It won't take that many shots, AO will just shoot over Toskala's head into the top corner.

Old
10-03-2009, 09:52 AM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radomon View Post
I'm really glad Finger gets the start over Exelby. He's more of a 7th d-man if you ask me.

Mayers over Rosehill... I guess it's his chance to really prove himself. He gotta be superb on the PK, and get his hitting game on and play physical.
Rosehill is a good kid, but Mayers is a well balanced player and we'll need his leadership tonight. He's also pretty good on the PK and as we saw the other night our PK was still pretty bad.

I'm actually a little worried about tonight, cause the Caps are 10 times more punishing than the Habs.

Old
10-03-2009, 10:30 AM
Jerkini

Quote:
Rosehill is a good kid, but Mayers is a well balanced player and we'll need his leadership tonight. He's also pretty good on the PK and as we saw the other night our PK was still pretty bad.

I'm actually a little worried about tonight, cause the Caps are 10 times more punishing than the Habs.
His leadership? What does that even mean anyway? Mayers barking out "COME ON BOYS, WE CAN DO THIS" on the bench every few minutes? Because he certainly isn't going to lead by example.

Old
10-03-2009, 10:55 AM
Snipeshow

Since it's a 1-year deal, we have to wait until after January 1st to re-sign Gustavsson long term right?

Assuming he plays well, which I think everybody feels is a given.

Old
10-03-2009, 10:59 AM
Solaris

Quote:
I think Wilson needs to pair Komisarek and Beauchemin together against their top line. Those guys can play a punishing role and can 'some-what' handle Ovey.

Schenn just isn't fast or strong enough yet to play Ovey, he'll get eaten a live.
Well OV's the best winger in the league, so it's gonna be extremely difficult no matter what, but Schenn did an ok job with him last year as a rookie so he won't exactly get eaten alive. Although he has struggled lately.

Old
10-03-2009, 11:05 AM
Mr Scarface*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymeno View Post
Well OV's the best winger in the league, so it's gonna be extremely difficult no matter what, but Schenn did an ok job with him last year as a rookie so he won't exactly get eaten alive. Although he has struggled lately.
Gyeah I remember Schenn playing real cool against AO.
OT talk: Is that Daz Dillinger on your avatar picture mane? He cold.

Old
10-03-2009, 11:11 AM
Myke

I hope I am proven wrong but I see us being lit up tonight. If we couldnt stop Cammelleri from skating through our D, how are we going to stop the likes of Semin, Ovechkin, and Backstrom?

Lets hope the D have been retooled after last game and Tosky figures his game out.

Old
10-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Dark Passenger

Home openers always seem to be tough on the home team (remember the Wings last year). Im hoping the Caps struggle a bit tonight and the Leafs take advantage.

Old
10-03-2009, 11:15 AM
Radomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
His leadership? What does that even mean anyway? Mayers barking out "COME ON BOYS, WE CAN DO THIS" on the bench every few minutes? Because he certainly isn't going to lead by example.
Yeah, that's it. He MUST lead by example. Hit guys, forecheck, bring energy, kill penalties. And if he doesn't, he's useless to this team. In St. Louis he was a fan favorite because of these things.

Mayers deserve this chance and if he doesn't bring it - bye bye.

Old
10-03-2009, 11:15 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myke View Post
I hope I am proven wrong but I see us being lit up tonight. If we couldnt stop Cammelleri from skating through our D, how are we going to stop the likes of Semin, Ovechkin, and Backstrom?

Lets hope the D have been retooled after last game and Tosky figures his game out.
You just have to hope, like you mentioned, that the D is a bit more on their game.

On a regular basis a player like Cammalleri (as skilled as he is) shouldn't be walking through the D like he did.

I think the team will have a bounce back game. Well, I hope they do at least

Old
10-03-2009, 11:45 AM
KenAF

I think the Leafs could easily come out with an upset.

The Caps played well in their first game, but the Bruins were not the team we saw last year. Boston's new and returning players clearly aren't on the same page yet. The Caps tend to be too fancy with the puck when they are overconfident (leading to turnovers), and I could see that happening tonight.

Old
10-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Delayed Offside

playing against AO always makes me nervous... he looked great the other night against boston....

Old
10-03-2009, 12:05 PM
Vice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtyone View Post
playing against AO always makes me nervous... he looked great the other night against boston....
I know I will be on the edge of my seat every time he is on the ice. How well did he do against the Leafs last season?

Old
10-03-2009, 12:06 PM
deleteme
Leafs for cup

Wonderfull GDT!!!

Old
10-03-2009, 12:08 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
What?!

Let's just move on.

Old
10-03-2009, 12:18 PM
IBleedBlueAndWhite*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Fun View Post
If the Leafs can get average goaltending (like they did on Thursday), the defense plays like they should (which they didn't do on Thursday) and the forwards can pot 3 or more goals (like they did on Thursday) this team stand a good chance to gain a minimum of one point.

My prediction: 4-3 Leafs -- shootout victory!
WOW are you joking buddy we are talking about Washington not stupid Montreal...Shootout it wont even go that far..I hope Im wrong...But With Toskalol They wont last long against Ovy and the Caps.

Closed Thread