HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Thoughts on Kovalchuk's future?

Old
10-02-2009, 11:18 AM
KingsCrown

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
Like the Kings, not sold on their goaltending. They'll have to score a lot of goals to win games, which could go well towards Kovy having a brilliant season. But if they want to win, they'll simply need better goaltending.
Quicks invite to the USA Olympic team is nothing to scoff at. He'll prove himself this year.

KingsCrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 12:54 PM
Geese_Howard*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
Yes, I see all those big stars lining up to play for Toronto...

I am not sure what Kovalchuk's personal life is like; but the fact remains that if he wants to play in a true hockey city, Edmonton is a very good option (in my experience, its a toss up between Montreal and Edmonton for who is the cult of hockey). And Edmonton, with the addition of a Kovalchuk, is potentially a very good team. As I mentioned, the Oilers have depth... and if they can maintain that depth while acquiring a player like Kovalchuk all the better.
Toronto has never had difficulty attracting top end UFA's. Every Canadian city is passionate about their teams I don't think you can say one is more then the other. I've been to Edmonton.... not much of a city, its a nice quiet city but there is not much to do.

Geese_Howard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 01:28 PM
Phaedrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geese_Howard View Post
Toronto has never had difficulty attracting top end UFA's. Every Canadian city is passionate about their teams I don't think you can say one is more then the other. I've been to Edmonton.... not much of a city, its a nice quiet city but there is not much to do.
Well, I can only assume you haven't been there in the summer; and during the winter the players better be focusing on hockey and not the social aspects of the city (the Oilers had a few players who were criticized for too active of a social life during the season - they are no longer Oilers).

Who exactly is the big name free agent (in recent history) that Toronto attracted? That is, who is a bigger name than Souray? I am not stacking Souray's signing (nor Comrie's) against the elites in the league, but I honestly do not remember Toronto signing a free agent of any more consequence than either Souray or Comrie.

Perhaps I was just wallowing in depression from living in Edmonton, and never noticed Toronto's massive free agent signings...

Phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 03:39 PM
kingscup
MBML

Send a message via AIM to kingscup
To the Kings for Frolov+

kingscup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 04:55 PM
netminder17

Quote:
Yes, I see all those big stars lining up to play for Toronto...

I am not sure what Kovalchuk's personal life is like; but the fact remains that if he wants to play in a true hockey city, Edmonton is a very good option (in my experience, its a toss up between Montreal and Edmonton for who is the cult of hockey). And Edmonton, with the addition of a Kovalchuk, is potentially a very good team. As I mentioned, the Oilers have depth... and if they can maintain that depth while acquiring a player like Kovalchuk all the better.
Kovalchuk cares about winning. He wants to win in Atlanta, and I personally think he will re-sign. But if he were going to go to another team it would not be Edmonton, he wants to play for a winner. Not a team worse than Atlanta.

netminder17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 05:14 PM
eric71*

He'll either be traded for a ******** of picks and prospects, or signed at the max offer

eric71* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 05:33 PM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
I truly believe he will stay in Atlanta. From what I remember hearing about him on the Thrasher boards is that he loves not being noticed by the public so they kind of leave him alone. His wife loves the hell out of it. They like the weather. And he likes the way Donny boy is starting to take the team. All of those signings this offseason were a way to prove to Kovy that they are committed to getting a solid team around him. If he doesn't sign there....I'd suspect he'll look somewhere Northeast...

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 07:21 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
I'm not sure if Atlanta's going to make the playoffs or not... but even if they do I don't think they're going to be in a position that they're confident they'll make the playoffs at the deadline.

A lot of potential for a repeat of the Bouwmeester situation.
except all kovalchuk needs is for them to come close to the playoffs and he'll resign whereas bouwmeester probably wasn't going to even if they had made the playoffs

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Kingler

Seems to me like if he wants to resign with Atlanta, he would have already done so. He wouldn't risk going into the season and getting injured. The money would also be practically the same if he signed now vs. sometime in the season.

Seems like he's looking for a reason to leave more than a reason to stay.

Kingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 07:47 PM
Geese_Howard*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingler View Post
Seems to me like if he wants to resign with Atlanta, he would have already done so. He wouldn't risk going into the season and getting injured. The money would also be practically the same if he signed now vs. sometime in the season.

Seems like he's looking for a reason to leave more than a reason to stay.
Quote:
Well, I can only assume you haven't been there in the summer; and during the winter the players better be focusing on hockey and not the social aspects of the city (the Oilers had a few players who were criticized for too active of a social life during the season - they are no longer Oilers).

Who exactly is the big name free agent (in recent history) that Toronto attracted? That is, who is a bigger name than Souray? I am not stacking Souray's signing (nor Comrie's) against the elites in the league, but I honestly do not remember Toronto signing a free agent of any more consequence than either Souray or Comrie.

Perhaps I was just wallowing in depression from living in Edmonton, and never noticed Toronto's massive free agent signings...
We are in a rebuilding phase, we wanted toughness and we got it via free agency, Komi and Beauche are 2 of the names we signed this offseason and signing the Monster was huge as well, he had many teams after him but he chose to play in Toronto. Look at the past few years, here are some of the UFA's we attracted, Belfour, Nieundyk, Roberts, Mogilny, Lindros, Cujo and a few others whom I am forgetting. In the cap era we have mismanaged our cap, this year we had spending room and got what we wanted. Next season we will have nearly 20 million to fool around with. We also got Kessel this year, who made it publicly noted that he wanted to play for the Leafs.

Hossa rejected a huge contract, Heatley vetoed a trade and Pronger wanted out... just saying.... and let's not forget the Nylander fiasco.

If Comrie is a big name signing for you guys, all the power to you, I would classify that as a "whatever signing"

Do you truly believe Edmonton can attract more UFA's then Toronto? Edmonton can attract the hometown boys like Souray and Comrie, but that's about it....

Old
10-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scofield View Post
He'll resign with Atlanta within a few months.
What's Atlanta's leverage here? They have no ability to control anything. They can't say, "if you don't accept this amount now, we won't give it to you again" because he knows he'll get even more in the summer.

The only risk he has is that of serious injury. If I'm Kovalchuk's agent, I tell him to wait and then choose his team and his amount. The guy will get a blank check from most of the league.

If I were Atlanta, I would immediately begin to shop him around so that it's not an emergency trade in March, getting whatever you can get at last second.

They have 5 months to find a good offer for the guy. They should see who'll pay a fair price.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 08:55 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
What's Atlanta's leverage here?
kovalchuk wants to stay there?

what more leverage do you need than a guy wanting to stay with you?

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 10:08 PM
Phaedrus

Quote:
We are in a rebuilding phase, we wanted toughness and we got it via free agency, Komi and Beauche are 2 of the names we signed this offseason and signing the Monster was huge as well, he had many teams after him but he chose to play in Toronto. Look at the past few years, here are some of the UFA's we attracted, Belfour, Nieundyk, Roberts, Mogilny, Lindros, Cujo and a few others whom I am forgetting. In the cap era we have mismanaged our cap, this year we had spending room and got what we wanted. Next season we will have nearly 20 million to fool around with. We also got Kessel this year, who made it publicly noted that he wanted to play for the Leafs.

Hossa rejected a huge contract, Heatley vetoed a trade and Pronger wanted out... just saying.... and let's not forget the Nylander fiasco.

If Comrie is a big name signing for you guys, all the power to you, I would classify that as a "whatever signing"

Do you truly believe Edmonton can attract more UFA's then Toronto? Edmonton can attract the hometown boys like Souray and Comrie, but that's about it....
Like I said, names of no more consequence than Souray, or even Comrie. At what stage of his career was Lindros when he signed with Toronto? (I can make the same claims about Belfour, Nieundyk, Roberts, Mogilny, Lindros, and Cujo.) I don't see any names in the list that proves your point - I don't see any superstars. Kessel was a trade, and Komi and Beauche? I don't believe I said Edmonton can attract more UFA's than Toronto, my point was basically that Toronto has had no more success in the free agent department than Edmonton has... surprising, considering Toronto is the center of the universe and all... just saying!

Phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 10:22 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingscup View Post
To the Kings for Frolov+
Why would they do that?

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2009, 10:42 PM
TheHotRock

i think he stays.

but it would be sexy as hell if washington offered atl a deal centered around semin.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 02:10 AM
Geese_Howard*

Quote:
Like I said, names of no more consequence than Souray, or even Comrie. At what stage of his career was Lindros when he signed with Toronto? (I can make the same claims about Belfour, Nieundyk, Roberts, Mogilny, Lindros, and Cujo.) I don't see any names in the list that proves your point - I don't see any superstars. Kessel was a trade, and Komi and Beauche? I don't believe I said Edmonton can attract more UFA's than Toronto, my point was basically that Toronto has had no more success in the free agent department than Edmonton has... surprising, considering Toronto is the center of the universe and all... just saying!
I consider Belfour, Cujo and Mogliny superstars. There havent been many superstar UFA's as of late and the ones that are available Toronto had little interest in them. The difference is Toronto was in cap trouble/rebuild mode and weren't concerned in getting top notch UFA's the past couple of seasons, Edmonton wanted top end UFA's and couldn't get any....

just saying...

Old
10-03-2009, 02:38 AM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArVeeDee View Post
I personally wouldn't do it. We could definitely get more than what you offered if he was a rental.

-Stoll doesn't do it for me. We don't really need more third line centers. Who won't be here long term. There is a problem when the most proven player is Stoll.
-Philly's second rounder is a very low pick naturally. No interest in that.
- I honestly don't know much about Voinov but I don't think he is a top prospect.
-Moller I don't know about either. I doubt he is a top prospect either.

If Kovalchuk is going somewhere there needs to be a proven young guy coming back along with some good prospects. Jack Johnson, 1st, and Schenn sounds right. Throw in Kubina from Atlanta.

If you don't know anything (and it's clear that you don't) then you shouldn't have answered at all.

Also you say you want PROVEN guys yet you listed Johnson, who hasn't proven anything yet, Brayden, who's proven even less, and a 1st which speaks for itself.

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 02:46 AM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsCrown View Post
As long as he is not a rental:

'10 LA 1st
'10 LA 2nd (Phi)
Stoll
Moller
Voynov
If Waddell knows he won't be able to re-sign Kovy, that would be a rather fair return IMO, considering he would get squat when he leaves for nothing. That said, I'd be hesitant to pull the trigger from a Kings standpoint because, as you said, it would have to be more than a rental and therein lies the risk.

If Frolov does not get re-signed I fully expect Lombardi to pull out all the stops if Kovy hits UFA.

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 12:44 PM
Norm MacDonald

Here's the inherent flaw with most of the Kovalchuk proposals I see here:
IF Kovalchuk decides to leave Atlanta, it's because he wants to join a guaranteed contender. That is the only reason. What possible motivation does he have in agreeing to a long-term extension with a team in a similar position?

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 01:12 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
I consider Belfour, Cujo and Mogliny superstars. There havent been many superstar UFA's as of late and the ones that are available Toronto had little interest in them. The difference is Toronto was in cap trouble/rebuild mode and weren't concerned in getting top notch UFA's the past couple of seasons, Edmonton wanted top end UFA's and couldn't get any....

just saying...
Sundin didnt even want to finish his career there. MTL had some success with signing some UFA's this year but none of the Canadian teams have been succesful attracting UFA's.

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 01:43 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I don't see it happening. He'd be throwing out the opportunity to be one of the most sought after unrestricted free agents in NHL history. Teams are going to throw everything at him. He'd get paid and have the chance to go to a contender.
Dallas Stars? They've got cap space and could use another big name player to sell more tickets.

He's 26... so sign him to a 20 year deal to keep the cap hit down.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 01:47 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Frolov
LA 1st '10
LA 1st 11
Moller
Purcell

for Kovalchuk

I know it's tempting to write that off as quantity for quality, but really, the only questionable player on that list may be Teddy Purcell.

But still, the Kings would have some sweet lines if they pulled this off:

Smyth-Kopitar-Williams
Kovalchuk-Stoll-Brown
Lewis-Handzus-Simmonds
Ivanans-Richardson-Clune

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 02:41 PM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughty Number 8 View Post
Frolov
LA 1st '10
LA 1st 11
Moller
Purcell

for Kovalchuk

I know it's tempting to write that off as quantity for quality, but really, the only questionable player on that list may be Teddy Purcell.

But still, the Kings would have some sweet lines if they pulled this off:

Smyth-Kopitar-Williams
Kovalchuk-Stoll-Brown
Lewis-Handzus-Simmonds
Ivanans-Richardson-Clune
I'm sure he'd be *****ing his pants at the thought of being centered by Jarret Stoll on LA's 2nd line.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 03:02 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post
I'm sure he'd be *****ing his pants at the thought of being centered by Jarret Stoll on LA's 2nd line.
Kovalchuk doesn't need a good center to be successful

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 06:25 PM
Roamin

Quote:
No big star wants to play in Edmonton, Hossa, Heater.

I honestly see him going to a city where hockey is big and has a great night life and city. MTL, Toronto, NYR, etc
night life? kovalchuk?
you do know he's a family man with a 3rd kid on the way.
I'm pretty sure he will value his family reasons more then a cities night life.

I'm pretty sure he will resign with Atlanta.
Family reasons if anything else. not like Atlanta doesn't have room to improve.
If their goaltending holds up, they'll make the playoffs this year.

But if I was them, I would of gotten at least Biron or something in the off season as backup, just incase. Kari is... well Kari.

Roamin is offline   Reply With Quote