Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Germany
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

German Minor Hockey

Old
10-02-2009, 07:34 PM
Rainer

vCash: 500
German Minor Hockey

I currently live in Toronto and play hockey there (AAA) Im 14 but i when i grow up i wanna play in DEL (because lets face it not everyone goes to the NHL) Im also of German Decent and i plan on becoming a Citizen, Ive always wanted to play for the National team but i cant tell if i have what it takes because no one i know, knows What Minor Hockey is like in Germany, Ive also always wanted to play for the Junior team but because im from Canada it dosen't look like its ganna happen, So i wanna know whats the best city to play Minor Hockey in Germany is because im ganna try and see if i can maybe board over there ( I have alot of friends who do this that are from Russia just to play AAA in the GTHL).

But the big question is and i dont expect anyone maybe atleast someone to tell me what is the big differnce between Minor Hockey in Canada and Germany, And what AAA would get me into.

Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2009, 10:45 PM
fuechsken

Hi Rainer,

I can't really compare the AAA level with the level of German minor leagues. But I can tell you, that DEL teams usually recruit good AHL players, second-tier minor league teams (2. Bundesliga) usally recruit mediocre AHL and ECHL players and a lot of players who play for third-tier minor league teams (Oberliga) are former ECHL or WHL players. There are always exceptions like ECHL players, who are really good DEL players, but a lot of North American players have difficulties with the larger rink in Europe.

Maybe someone else can give you further information.

I'm looking forward to seeing you play for Team Germany

fuechsken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 02:29 PM
Rainer

Thanks, I actully love large Rinks because im known for my speed so that may be a large advantage to me. Thanks for telling me about AHL players because my team is already getting scouted by AHL scouts so ill see what happens.

Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2010, 03:57 PM
MrSports*

In my own opinion, it's really hard to compare Canada and Germany with their leagues. I'm pretty much sure that, it will be with the players that will have a bid difference.

MrSports* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 06:35 PM
HockeyInsider87

Getting into hockey in Germany or any other country in Europe is different than North America in so many ways. Teams do not have scouts or a draft and deal mostly in one year contracts with the player becoming a free agent after each season.

Some Coaches do come to NA and scout players but not enough IMO. Most coaches and or team General Managers base their recruiting on your resume and the word of your coaches and the contacts they have in NA who they rely on for information and make a lot of mistakes because of it. Quite often they rely on outdated information or unwarranted hype. If you have NHL on your resume it virtually guarantees you opportunities and good contract offers for the rest of your career. They don't seem to consider that many players who get some games in the NHL got their chance because they played for a poor NHL team with little depth and got there by default or they were tough guys who made it to the NHL because they were big and could or would fight. There are many players in the AHL and in the ECHL who are more skilled and more suitable to the European game than many of these ex NHL players but sometimes that's not enough to get them a shot in Europe in the top leagues. Many of these AHL and ECHL players get labeled or stuck because they were in quality NHL organizations with good depth that kept them from getting their shot.

AAA hockey in NA is good but it's important that you get to a good NCAA school or play in Major Junior and get yourself hyped up enough to get your shot at the NHL or become a top AHL player. It will help if you get your German EU passport. This will open doors for you that are closed to others in Germany. Good luck.

HockeyInsider87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Channer33

same question

Sorry for bringing up an old thread.

A goalie is also playing hockey in Canada and is thinking/debating playing minor/junior in Germany. What organizations are good to deal with and when are tryouts for these teams and is there coaches to contact about this? He is a citizen.

Thanks

Channer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:06 PM
Dustin Peener
Popular demand

vCash: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuechsken View Post
Hi Rainer,

I can't really compare the AAA level with the level of German minor leagues. But I can tell you, that DEL teams usually recruit good AHL players, second-tier minor league teams (2. Bundesliga) usally recruit mediocre AHL and ECHL players and a lot of players who play for third-tier minor league teams (Oberliga) are former ECHL or WHL players. There are always exceptions like ECHL players, who are really good DEL players, but a lot of North American players have difficulties with the larger rink in Europe.

Maybe someone else can give you further information.

I'm looking forward to seeing you play for Team Germany
Sorry to intrude in your thread, but I notice your avatar is the logo of EV Duisburg. A former teammate of mine has signed for them this season; Joey Lewis. Do you go to their games? If so would it be possible for you to come to the hockey in Britain thread in the Western Europe section and give us feedback on his play?

Dustin Peener is offline   Reply With Quote