HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Should I wear a visor?

Old
10-04-2009, 01:19 AM
CanadaBacon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigosurf View Post

A visor doesn't protect your teeth. Does your mom know what a visor even is? Seriously though, I'm 19 aswell, and play in a recreational league, and alot of the guys wear full face-protectors, though most of the guys on my team either wear visors or nothing. But I've seen alot of other team's that have them, and after a few games, I can see why. I've been in about 5 games now, already I've seen two guys get hit in the face with a puck. One guy lost like 6 teeth, and the other had a whallop of a black eye.

But if you're concerned as much about the well-being of your teeth as your mom is, then your best bet is to get a full face-guard. For the record, I'm about 5'8, and have nearly had the puck hit me in the face more than once, and have been high-sticked a couple times, too. So if you're small like me, then go with the full-guard. I'm seriously considering getting one myself.

You are 5'8, you are not a midget. Your height has nothing to do with what type of face protection you should wear.

Im 6'2 and have been hit in the face with pucks and been highsticked numerous times. You think the 1/2 foot i have on you makes a difference?

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 01:59 AM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
You are 5'8, you are not a midget. Your height has nothing to do with what type of face protection you should wear.

Im 6'2 and have been hit in the face with pucks and been highsticked numerous times. You think the 1/2 foot i have on you makes a difference?
Im 6'3 and a high stick that hits you or me in the shoulder hits a 5'8 guy in the facial area. I think that was his point. I skated free face for a couple of years until I took a deflected puck and nine stitches to my upper lip. Fortunately, I didnt lose any teeth. To protect my stitches, I put on a cage and the very next week after I was hip checked, I fell forward onto the guy that checked me and my cage hit his skate blade square. Without a cage or just having a visor, I would have been split like an elephant, doing god knows what damage to my chin, mouth, and nose. For me, that reaffirmed that I will never play again without a cage. And the whole losing teeth thing from a cage generally seems to be from people wearing their cages WAY too loose around the chin either for comfort or cause it "looks cool."

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 02:01 AM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by billj41 View Post
Im 6'3 and a high stick that hits you or me in the shoulder hits a 5'8 guy in the facial area. I think that was his point. I skated free face for a couple of years until I took a deflected puck and nine stitches to my upper lip. Fortunately, I didnt lose any teeth. To protect my stitches, I put on a cage and the very next week after I was hip checked, I fell forward onto the guy that checked me and my cage hit his skate blade square. Without a cage or just having a visor, I would have been split like an elephant, doing god knows what damage to my chin, mouth, and nose. For me, that reaffirmed that I will never play again without a cage. And the whole losing teeth thing from a cage generally seems to be from people wearing their cages WAY too loose around the chin either for comfort or cause it "looks cool."
And the things that hit him in the shoulder would hit me in the nuts. Thats even worse

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2009, 09:33 AM
tiz

I wear a visor. I feel I can breathe better. I know the risks, and I'm willing to lose a few teeth or break my jaw, but I am not willing to risk my eyes.

tiz is offline   Reply With Quote